What's new

Lego To Join The Waterpark Industry

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
This comes to light with the recent news that Legoland California shall open Lego's first waterpark in June as a $15 million dollar expansion on a 5.5 acre site, and shall cost the Legoland visitor an extra $10 charge ontop of the admission price.

The park shall include:

"A six-person raft ride launching from a 45-foot-tall Lego tower

A trio of single-rider slides

A “lazy river” featuring inner tubes with attachable foam Lego bricks

20 life-size Lego characters that squirt and splash passersby

A splash tower that periodically dumps hundreds of gallons of water

A pair of toddler water play areas with zoo animal and tugboat themes

A sandy beach wading area"

The article can be found HERE with a nice 'map' of the waterpark.

However, in news that is of more relevance to the British, Lego water park desginer Bill Vollbrecht has said some rather interesting statements.

"Legoland’s parent company, Merlin Entertainment, plans to add a water park to the new Legoland Malaysia park opening in 2012."

"If the California and Malaysia projects prove successful, Lego hopes to turn the concept into a global brand, adding water parks at Legoland theme parks in the Britain, Denmark and Germany."

"The existing water parks at Alton Towers and Gardaland might be rebranded with a Lego theme."

The source for this information can be found HERE.

I usually like to create these opening posts unbiased to generate discussion, but a water park in Windsor? Fantastic. Rebranding Cariba Creek? No way. That money could be spent adding more attractions, which Cariba Creek really does need and it would bring in more people anyway, as opposed to just rebranding it in an atempt to make it more popular. Merlin would not be in my good books if the branded Lego all over the waterpark. Leave it in Legoland for crying out loud.

Ollie

CF Legend
The joins on some waterslides hurt enough, without it being made out of Lego. :p
Sounds good though anyway.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Hmmm...In recent years, the expansion of water parks in the US has stunned me. There must be a massive market for parks to keep opening new water parks :lol:

It seems like an awesome idea though.

Ollie

CF Legend
I don't like the idea of Alton getting their waterpark changed to a Lego theme.
They need new slides in there (or in the outdoor section) not just giving it a lick of paint and new themeing.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
There isn't a sufficient demand in the UK for further water parks. Carriba Creek is good enough as it is, and attracts sufficient amounts of people.

I do agree with Ollie that it needs a fresh lick of paint, and a few more slides or something that can make the water park at the forefront of Alton's Marketing campaign, like it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Lego theme? No.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I'm not too sure. I'd have to see the Malaysia one first before I make a decision as to weather Cariba Creek would benefit from it.

If it was to be re-themed, chances are they will add new slides anyway. How much space do they have anyway?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The idea of 'rebranding' Cariba Creek is a stupid idea... I go to Alton for Alton, not bloody Lego...

Plus, water parks and UK don't go excessively well together... Thorpe has it's beach, which gets the visitors if they bother opening it, but of course, this is for what... Two months each year?

If they're gonna put more waterparks in the UK, they need to be mostly indoor like Cariba Creek is...

Darren

Roller Poster
If Cariba Creek ever became Lego, it would be the worst move Alton/Merlin have ever made. The hotel is a caribbean theme for a reason, making a Lego waterpark would completely defeat the object of both. It's just stupid and Merlin should keep their brands seperate. I hope it never happens.

That is all...

marc

CF Legend
It does not say anywhere that Alton's will be rethemed to lego and I doubt it ever will be, it only says might :)

I think you might see a Lego water park and Lego Land but that will be it.

Merlin are not totally stupid and they will know it will not work at Alton as the theme there has nothing to do to with Lego.

I think people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
marc said:
It does not say anywhere that Alton's will be rethemed to lego and I doubt it ever will be.

The Article said:
"The existing water parks at Alton Towers and Gardaland might be rebranded with a Lego theme."

So yeah, we're not putting 2+2 and getting 5, we're putting 2+2 together and getting a stupid idea if it happened...

marc

CF Legend
Yeah I just re read it before you posted and saw that :) I edited my post to reflect that.

It does only say might though and might is a big word when it comes to Merlin.

So far Merlin have kept Lego attractions out of their other parks and I think it will still like that.

If they change the park at Alton I will eat a £5 note, or just donate it to the Cf raffle thing :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^That's cheating though ;)

It depends really... Sea-Life has been a popular move at both Chessie and Alton for the guests and some enthusiasts... Would Lego have a similar impact? (On the guests mainly, as I'm sure Lego at Towers/Chessie would be silly)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, having been to Cariba Creek today - a Lego rebrand wouldn't kill it at all. In fact, please ANYTHING! Just give it something new and interesting. While you're at it, make it something special. It's Alton Towers, not the council run pool!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just imagine how much the pool floor would hurt though made of Lego bricks.

I mean, swimming pool rough floors on water softened feet it often pretty uncomfortable, but everyone knows the only pain worse than standing barefoot on a Lego brisk is standing on a three pin plug.

A pool made of them??? Ouch city! :p

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
To the people saying Lego would not fit the Caribbean theme: Surely, Lego itself can be made to fit such a theme. I mean, lego palm trees, coconuts, etc.

I'd hardly class lego itself as a theme.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Is it that bad there, I have never been.

It's... Erm... It's... Alton Towers take on a Water Park...

Take what's in the States. Take what's in the UK.

Add what you have in the UK and make the smallest investment possible to make it like the States.

You have the Alton version of it :)

It's a good pool to have alongside a hotel stay. It's a good pool tyo not have full of stokies (like Water World).

It's the (perhaps) third or lower best water pool in the country (both waterworld and sandcastle are better in terms of attractions - others may be better too).

It's Alton does water. Alright I suppose... :)

Ollie

CF Legend
^I didn't like Sandcastle that much but they do have more variety of slides. But you pay for it in their extortionate entrance fees. :p
Cariba Creek is pretty good imo. It's great for the hotel and something to do after that parks shut. The Master Blaster there is the best one I've been on I think and the outdoor bubble pool is great. I don't think it's taking itself tooseriously and trying to compete. It's just nice to go in there and have a fun time. Although each time I've been it's got busier which means waiting for each slide whereas everything was walk on the first time I went.
Water world is pretty good as well but queues can build there as well.