What's new

Kings Island announcement March 18 "Something Big"

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Kings Island has posted mention of a new addition that is to be announced March 18. The website says "Millions of Years in the Making, Something BIG is coming to Kings Island."

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/ ... /index.cfm

KICentral has been leading rumor discussion, as teaser photos hint to an expansion behind the Racer near Firehawk and Flight of Fear.

So with two days till announcement, what do y'all think Kings Island is cooking up?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm in! SoB bonfire off in the distance as we cruise through the woods at night on Beast! :wink:

AJ

Giga Poster
Unless i'm just pointing out the obvious, it's something related to dinosaurs.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Holy crap! Dinosaurs? Wow!
How are they going to get the dinosaurs to strike a match to SoB? :p

Artichoke

Mega Poster
A Dinosaur ride? I'm clueless, lol. I was seriously trying to read his lips on the bleeped out parts for some sort of a big ass clue :lol:

Nic

Strata Poster
Hahahaha, I really like that video. I love how parks are starting to pay more attention to doing silly things like this before the announcement of new rides. More silly videos, I say! :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right, what about:

King's Island fly a massive squadron of helicopters carrying a massive rock and recreate the extinction event, with SoB as the target?

Now I'd pay to see that.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Ha. That would piss all over Krake's Boat sinking event at Halloween!

It's obviously something to do with Dinosaur's, that's a given. Maybe a dark ride or a whole new area?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I like that majority of this discussion has been the destruction of SoB. :razz:

Mike T

Mega Poster
It really can't be all that big considering it's intention is for the 2011 season. I hate it when parks abuse the viral marketing thing. Unless it's something your guests are actually going to care about - I say don't waste everybody's time.

Here's to hoping I'll be eating my words and that they finally announce their B&M Invert.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Actually it will be intended for the 2012 season. For 2011 Kings Island is receiving one of the three Cedar Fair WindSeekers (Cedar Point and Knott's receiving the others).

Cedar Fair has a rich history of announcing big rides 1+ years in advance. The reason is simple: construction takes 1+ years. Both Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster had to be announced at the beginning of the previous season (so MF opened in 2000, was announced early 1999), as the construction would be in plain view, and in need of explanation.

I think the epitome of this is Maverick, who's prep work started in 2005 with the removal of the White Water Landing Log Flume. Then in 2006, CP built their S&S swing Skyhawk, but also had laid footers for Maverick during the off season. So for the media preview day of Skyhawk before the 2006 season, the local paper had a longer story on the mystery footers than the new thrill ride. :lol:

All in all, that made for a two year endeavor to finally build the damn ride. Talk about being a tease! :roll:

I envision the same case for Kings Island, that they are about to receive something big, with lots of construction time, meaning they must announce it further in advance.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmmm, thsi came through on a Google news feed:

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/db_ ... &pn=0&ps=8

MASON — The T-Rex is out of the bag.

The new attraction at Kings Island that will be unveiled Friday is an animated dinosaur walk.

Greg Nichols, with the city of Mason’s engineering department, said the amusement park submitted a drawing of a giant T-Rex they want to post outside the park. Plans for the walk itself have not yet been filed, he said.

Officials at the park are expected to announce the new attraction at 2 p.m. Friday at the amusement park.

The dinosaur walk will be the “biggest of its kind in the world” and will be open for the start of the 2011 season, according to KI spokesman Don Helbig.

Kings Island’s website prominently displays a banner that reads “Make no bones about it, something big is coming to Kings Island.” The banner has a background that appears to be a rocky surface or possible archaeological dig, tying into the “bones” theme of the message.

It could be a decoy to throw us off the scent, but we'll find out for sure tomorrow. As good as a dinosaur walk may be, it's not as exciting as a new, sexy coaster imo.

Snoo

The Legend
Well Top Gun/Flight Deck/Some stupid name that has to do with flying could fit into KI somewhere.