What's new

Kings Dominion or Canada's Wonderland?

bentcookie

Mega Poster
Plain and simple, I'm having trouble choosing between the two. Which one should I go to? For CW I would have to get a passport and that is kind of pushing me the other direction. Opinions and suggestions are highly needed! Thanks.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
In terms of straight up park to park comparison (excluding factors such as passport acquisition and distance etc) Canad's Wonderland hands down. Leviathan crushes I305 any day and the rest of the rides are of a higher quality IMHO (excluding the SLC </3) though KD has Dominator which is a great ride.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Canada's Wonderland, in a second. You should probably just go to Kings Dominion though. I mean, why bother with a passport when you're American?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Actually, for Canada (and Mexico I believe), all you need is something that looks like a drivers liscence that is far cheaper than a passport for overseas use (I think the card is roughly 55-75 bucks).

Not sure if you knew that or not >_>

But based off looks, Wonderland.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Driver's license and birth certificate still works for land border crossings. By air, you need a full-fledged passport.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
No...
Just a week ago, I rode the Disney Wonder from Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC and drove to Seattle from there.
None of us had passports in our possession, or even a copy.
I have a US passport card.
My wife has a green card.
My daughter travelled on just a birth certificate.

If we had flown from Vancouver to Seattle, passports would have been required.

There is still some flexibility if you are crossing via boat or on land.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The issue is not getting into canada, but I've seen people and know people who were refused entrance back into the states for not having a passport. I'm talking the Rainbow Bridge, Peace Bridge, and Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, the 3 bridges that give you the most direct access to getting to Canada's Wonderland. The most recent Denial was my friend about a week and a half ago...

Go without a passport on your own risk

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
You must have missed the part where I drove back from Canada.

Maybe your friends gave the BP attitude? I know I've had issues before when people in my car were smart-asses to the customs officer.

Officially, you can still cross on less than an official book type passport if you are under 18, are a LPR with valid green card, or have an enhanced driver's license.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
If only there were a section of the U.S. Department of State website outlining the official requirements for entering Canada and the United States.

Oh wait there is.

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Entry into the United States: When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book, except as noted in the few exceptions provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements

Officially, to successfully travel round trip from Canada and the United States, you either need a passport or an enhanced drivers license (e.g. Michigan). However, I too have successfully traveled between Canada and the United States having only been asked for a driver's license.

I would encourage you however to indeed apply for a passport should you plan to go to Canada's Wonderland. Passports are good for 10 years, so I wouldn't worry about the cost as there is plenty of time to use a passport for travel... and your I-9 work application!

Blizzrock

Roller Poster
I had a better time at King's Dominion than Canada's Wonderland. Though I'm willing to bet CW is a lot more fun when it's not 40 and periodically sleeting, yes? :)

All joking aside, Canada's Wonderland is much, much better landscaped than KD. However, I do feel like there's more to actually do at King's Dominion. Again, I had a little different experience than most (Leviathan was down all day). But once you take that away, there's really just Behemoth. KD has i305, Volcano, and Dominator. I'm also about the only person I've heard of who likes Anaconda and Rebel Yell. So I vote King's Dominion.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've not been to CW, but I'm going to stuck up for KD because it gets so much hate.

You learn a lot as an enthusiast at KD. It's a collection of the weird and wonderful.

You'd be silly to go to down KD and not also do Busch, though. And doing them both makes a great trip. They are so insanely different experiences.

Driver's license and birth certificate still works for land border crossings. By air, you need a full-fledged passport.

Don't risk it. Some of the border guys let you get away with it but living five minutes from the border and crossing all the time, I know how much of an asshole that many of the guys and gals can be. It's better to be safe than sorry. I've almost been turned around for the dumbest reasons even WITH a passport and they always ask for passports at least at the Windsor/Detroit border.

I'd say Wonderland in a heartbeat. I didn't like Kings Dominion much on my two trips there. It's an okay park, but Wonderland has such a good mix of coasters, flats, and atmosphere.

Snoo

The Legend
Only been to KD.. and I've heard good things about CW.. but like most Paramount parks, only have a few rides worthy of note. Right now though, since I haven't been, I'd pick CW.

BBH

Giga Poster
From the looks of it, Wonderland. I haven't been to either but I want to go to CW desperately. You'll probably enjoy yourself more at CW, because there is shade and plants and something besides concrete.

Intricks

Strata Poster
BBH said:
From the looks of it, Wonderland. I haven't been to either but I want to go to CW desperately. You'll probably enjoy yourself more at CW, because there is shade and plants and something besides concrete.

The only mass concrete area at KD is near I305 really. When I went last year there was plenty of shade to be under, and there was some plant life spread throughout the park.

On the note of passports they say so many (i think 6) weeks but I got mine in 3 weeks so don't fret too much over that.

I got mine in like two but you can pay an extra $10 I think in order to get it within 2-9 business days so it's not too bad really.