What's new

Kings Dominion Long Overdue For A New Coaster

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
I expect a new coaster next year. Six years? Way too long, they haven't ever gone this long without a new coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This doesn't seem like "News & Rumours" to me, just "General Disucssions". I've moved the topic accordingly.

I guess they are overdue a new coaster, but to be honest from my visit this summer they don't really feel like they're stagnating. I305, Volcano and Dominator were really popular with the GP and, although it was a quiet-ish day at the park, the other mid-size coasters (Backlot, Anaconda, Rebel Yell) also seemed to be popular.

I think if they were going to get anything - a modern woodie (GCI or GG) could fit quite well. Or maybe a B&M invert, like Banshee or Afterburn. That could fit quite well - especially if they paired it up with Grizzly in the woods.

That being said, their "new for 2016" Delirium addition was a bit lacklustre... and I'd never say no to a new coaster! :lol:

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
No, just no. Just because YOU are bored with the park doesn't mean they are "long overdue" for a new coaster. I am going to throw something if I have to hear Kings Dominion fans complain one more time.

I'm sick of this ****.

[EDIT] And also, parks don't add coasters based off of how long they've gone without one, or as a reward to enthusiasts for "waiting so patiently." They add them to the parks that will yield the most return on investment. Cedar Fair execs aren't sitting in a room adding coasters to a select few parks just to spite Kings Dominion. They would be losing money if they did that. So it is extremely asinine when enthusiasts says things like "Kings Dominion is long overdue for a coaster" or "Cedar Fair neglects Kings Dominion so much." I'm tired of going to every forum, every video, and every comment section just to hear Kings Dominion fans bemoaning the absence of a new coaster. :x

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
CarolinaRider said:
No, just no. Just because YOU are bored with the park doesn't mean they are "long overdue" for a new coaster. I am going to throw something if I have to hear Kings Dominion fans complain one more time.

I'm sick of this ****.

[EDIT] And also, parks don't add coasters based off of how long they've gone without one, or as a reward to enthusiasts for "waiting so patiently." They add them to the parks that will yield the most return on investment. Cedar Fair execs aren't sitting in a room adding coasters to a select few parks just to spite Kings Dominion. They would be losing money if they did that. So it is extremely asinine when enthusiasts says things like "Kings Dominion is long overdue for a coaster" or "Cedar Fair neglects Kings Dominion so much." I'm tired of going to every forum, every video, and every comment section just to hear Kings Dominion fans bemoaning the absence of a new coaster. :x
Do you have to be a whiny little bastard? Holy **** do you have to be a little baby and cry about a roller coaster post.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
This doesn't seem like "News & Rumours" to me, just "General Disucssions". I've moved the topic accordingly.

I guess they are overdue a new coaster, but to be honest from my visit this summer they don't really feel like they're stagnating. I305, Volcano and Dominator were really popular with the GP and, although it was a quiet-ish day at the park, the other mid-size coasters (Backlot, Anaconda, Rebel Yell) also seemed to be popular.

I think if they were going to get anything - a modern woodie (GCI or GG) could fit quite well. Or maybe a B&M invert, like Banshee or Afterburn. That could fit quite well - especially if they paired it up with Grizzly in the woods.

That being said, their "new for 2016" Delirium addition was a bit lacklustre... and I'd never say no to a new coaster! :lol:
Fair enough Hixee. Just making conversation. That's all.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Ashstrodamus said:
CarolinaRider said:

I'm sick of this ****.

Do you have to be a whiny little bastard? Holy **** do you have to be a little baby and cry about a roller coaster post.

It's just that it happens so much. This awful, entitled-enthusiast attitude runs rampant in the coaster community. Maybe i just need a new hobby.

Ben

CF Legend
I think that was just a really, really unfunny joke? I think? But like really bad so he just looks like he doesn't know?

They aren't getting anything of note next year or work would have started. Sorry.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ashstrodamus said:

Sorry, but you were the one who was corrected, and threw a hissy fit because of it. I'm with CarolinaRider on this one. The decision to build new coasters is dependant on a lot more factors than how long it's been since the last one, despite the enthusiasts putting a lot of importance on "coaster gaps".

That being said, at some point it will make financial sense to shell out for a new coaster. King's Dominion has a very solid coaster lineup that attracts lots of guests, but sooner or later a noticeable portion of, say, visiting families will choose to go to another park for their annual trip, to ride some new coasters they haven't tried before. KD could hook them right back with a new coaster for their lineup.

And looking at KD's lineup, one thing is apparent: Their four woodies are all quite old, while woodie technology has improved significantly. Also, they lack a modern launching coaster, but the woodie situation is more noticeable. Of course, with the constant replacement of parts, woodies have a service life as long as the owner cares for, but the ride experience will largely remain the same, dare I say outdated, one as when it was first built. New trains can fix certain things, and track reprofiling certain other things, but old woodies can only be improved to a certain degree.

So... my money is on an announcement next year, of a woodie to be built or improved for 2018.