What's new

Just booked a rock climbing course. Eeep.

Punkie

Roller Poster
:shock:

So, there was an itison deal on for an introductory rock climbing course at Glasgow Climbing Centre and I've bought a voucher for both me and my boyfriend. I'm now not convinced on the greatness of this idea. :oops: The last time I went to anything like this I got about 5ft up and did a Sheldon Cooper, although this time I'm determined to be courageous and not cry. Does anyone have any advice? Are there any climbers on here?

Snoo

The Legend
Don't look down and just focus on each step/hand hold. Are you strapped in or freehand?

Punkie

Roller Poster
I'm guessing strapped in, because it mentioned you need to be slim enough for the harness. The place looks huge, I'm almost hoping it's smaller in person!

Snoo

The Legend
Then try to lessen your worry knowing youre safe no matter what and just go big! :)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Don't worry about it and you'll be fine. The only problem I had was trusting that the holds I found would actually hold me and I wouldn't slip.

I only been proper climbing twice and it was on the same day on 2 different climbs right next to each other. I threw myself right in the deep end with this as it was on a proper cliff and hadn't done any proper training.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Climbing in a climbing centre is a lot of fun and VERY safe - provided you play by the rules. The instructors generally won't be loud or aggressive unless you're directly ignoring their advice, and they are very reassuring that everything is going to be fine.

As much as this won't help, but from experience you'll only really get over any fear the first time you fall. You need that fear as you realise your grip is loosening, then the shock the split second your weight overcomes friction and you fall, then the few fractions of a second while you're falling thinking this is it, and finally the jarring stop of the harness to realise that it's really not that bad. Indoor sport climbing (top roping or leading) is very safe, and you should have nothing to worry about. Go with the flow, start gentle and enjoy it! Climbing is a lot of fun, I've had endless hours of fun bouldering, top roping, leading and trad climbing, and it's something you might take to!

Go for it!

Punkie

Roller Poster
Hixee said:
Climbing in a climbing centre is a lot of fun and VERY safe - provided you play by the rules. The instructors generally won't be loud or aggressive unless you're directly ignoring their advice, and they are very reassuring that everything is going to be fine.

As much as this won't help, but from experience you'll only really get over any fear the first time you fall. You need that fear as you realise your grip is loosening, then the shock the split second your weight overcomes friction and you fall, then the few fractions of a second while you're falling thinking this is it, and finally the jarring stop of the harness to realise that it's really not that bad. Indoor sport climbing (top roping or leading) is very safe, and you should have nothing to worry about. Go with the flow, start gentle and enjoy it! Climbing is a lot of fun, I've had endless hours of fun bouldering, top roping, leading and trad climbing, and it's something you might take to!

Go for it!

Thanks for the advice everyone! The centre has a bouldering bit too, which I think actually looks awesome. That thing about falling is totally true, that's why my bf's much more nervous rollerblading than I am, I've ended up on my bum so many times falling no longer fazes me, and why I stopped getting nervous about falling in the river when I was rowing after we did a capsise drill. I just gotta man up and go for it! :--D I'm super excited now!

kimahri

CF Legend
I used to do rock climbing, then I got bored. Use your legs to push you up rather than drag your self up like a corpse, it's easier and If they provide the proper shoes use them cause they make you walk funny and help and **** but make you walk funny.

I should find another place to do rock climbing, Newcastle got boring.