What's new

Jaws at Universal Studios to close

Ollie

CF Legend
-lofty- said:
I didn't realise just how massive that area was, let's hope they put something worth while in!
Yeah it takes up a ridiculous amount of room. If you look at the park on Google Maps the whole top right corner of the park is taken up by the ride and the Amity area. They have so much space to work with now it's gone.

davidm

Strata Poster
Just came across (on screamscape) this video of the v1 original ride (1990) before it was rebuilt. Seemed much slower paced (maybe just the "captain" was a bit lame?) and different effects (shark attacking the boat and spinning it around after the boathouse bit - replaced with the gas explosions in the v2 ride). Has some shots of the drained ride during the rebuilt as well as an on-ride post rebuilt...

http://vimeo.com/34642067

(anyway I found it interesting, especially the v1 differences)

Ollie

CF Legend
^Nice find. Didn't know it had changed so much. The old version seems better. Especially at the end when they blow the shark up and the water is actually red from the blood and there's bits of shark floating around. :p

marc

CF Legend
I thought it was different when I rode it for a 2nd time when I went back now I know it was lol.

Thanks for that link David.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Just been looking at videos of the ride. It seems so great. Sad they have to close such an excellent attractions, but meh. They obviously have their reasons. :|

nadroJ

CF Legend
OMG, the shark in the original version <//3 The way it moves is a bit better I think, bit scarier, the like, yu can see the skin coming away from the shell and stuff haha </3

Lofty

CF Legend
But, possibly looks better, the way in which the mouth moves is more realistic, PLUS< the blood in the water used to be amazing <3