Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

• I don't live in the UK

• Total voters

Dave

CF Legend
So Jacqui Smith got her wish and got the controversial ID cards nearly on the brink of actually become reality.

The ID card is meant to reduce Terrorism (the most amazing trump card you can play it seems), Fraud, and stop criminal activity.

The first trial of the ID card will begin in the Autumn when Manchester is the first city to have the cards, so people can apply and pay the £30 (but may rise to £60) fee to have the ID card.

I for once disagree with the ID card, if I go into my wallet now I've got about 5 cards with my name and picture on it, and I've got my main form of ID which is my passport.

Hello 1984 anyone?

A

Anonymous

Unless the cards are mandatory (which i don't believe they are), it serves no purpose in terrorism prevention. Surely if you were in a terrorist cell you simply wouldn't subscribe to the concept in the first place. it seems to me like another stealth tax.

Dave

CF Legend
We usually have (based on ID for alcohol and cigarettes) most common forms of ID are Passport, Driving Licence (full of learning) or Citizenship cards.

This would add another one to it, kinda making it 'official'. But like UC said, how can it help terroism if its not mandatory, aslo we have to pay for it. Im not paying for it, not funding the recreation of 1984.

marc

CF Legend
If this ID card could be my passport and drivers pass I would get one.

If not I dont see the point as I carry my drivers card with me all the time anyway.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I think it's a disgrace.... it's a waste of both time and money...

The cost is also ridiculous... If they do make it compulsary in the future you should NOT have to pay.... £30 is a lot of money for someone like me! Let alone £60 (which it will rise to, you just wait)... you should not be forced into getting something which you can barely afford...

Emmett

Giga Poster
Sounds like another tax to me. If the government really care about security they should issue all the cards for free.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Must resist...

I'm going to try and keep this brief. It's a crock of ****!

There, I vented my spleen on this matter, and it didn't take three thousand words to do.

If anyone wished me to expand, I can write an essay on it (I've been following this since the conception) but I just don't want to because anyone with half a brain cell (that excludes almost 100% of politicians) can see that it's a waste of time, money and effort/

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I was watching the news the other day and they had emails read out that people had sent regarding the issue and someone actually said that 'if your a decent and honest person you'd get one' LOL

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As southend_marc said, if it replaces my passport and driving licence as well then I'd carry one.

I also don't agree it's a stealth tax. It'll cost more to set up (about the cost of two new hospitals or an waste-of time/cash Olympics) than what it'll bring in.

Meh. Nothing I can do about it anyway...until I can put an x next to a Tory name in the next General Election. They've said they'd scrap the scheme (if they keep to their word :?), but that's not my reason for voting for them, just another bonus!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
danielfitzgerald99 said:
I don't see the big problem. If you need ID then it is useful. As long as it doesn't become a bit Orwellesque so what?

From the little I've read about it, the cards will contain your biometric data, finger prints etc.

Imagine there's a murder at a night club that you were at. The police dust for prints and from those prints can work out who exactly was there that night. Don't you find that scary? Ok, you may not have anything to do with the murder, but the State will know you were there. It will lead to a loss of civil liberties and the old "innocent until proven guilty" mantra.

Then again, if you have nothing hide, you have nothing to fear. I'm probably against them but don't really have an informed opinion about them (which is unlike me!).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The biggest issue (out of many big issues) is the fact that there isn't a clear guideline on the systems.

It started out as one thing, and has been hacked and chopped and slashed through the years. However, if you asked a member of the government to tell you what information was being stored, where and how - none would be able to tell you. It's just kind of been cobbled together and thrown at a company to develop.

So, we'll start with lack of scope and design procedures for a major failing - considering that this is meant to be something that protects YOU. How can it, if nobody knows how the systems actually work, or what the overall remit and scope is? It's immediately open for abuse from everyone but the people it's meant to protect.

I have photo ID - I had to pay for it. It's called a passport! I use it to leave and enter the country. The system is designed to protect us from people we don't want entering the country and to protect other countries from OUR undesirables. If it doesn't work, then look at why it doesn't work.

The ID card will NOT replace anything. It will not let the government follow you (and stop things like benefit fraud), it will not make your life simpler by integrating passport, driving license, NHS number, NI Number, etc.

It is simply a card, that proves who you are - which a passport should do anyway. Passports can be forged... Erm, guess what? If you have a system which is badly designed and implemented, then you're going to have forged ID cards. Brilliant, the criminals will now be legitimate with accurate fake ID cards. Or they won't have an ID card. That means that they'll be limited to... Erm, just a minute, if I don't have an ID card can I not go shopping? Go to the pub? Go and buy guns and drugs from other criminals?

Ah, it won't stop any crime at all. It won't back up an immigration system. It won't make our lives any simpler. It won't make the government more able to find criminals amongst us. It will... do nothing.

Even psychologically it is ineffective, as nobody is scared by the 9/11 stuff any more anyway.

Though, I'll bet your salary that there will be another "terrorist threat level" thing within weeks of the card going live...

Ian - the government aren't supposed to be allowed to use that data for any other reason than proving you are who you are... Unfortunately, that bit seems to have been missed out of the specification of the system. This is the problem, nobody really knows just how much information the government will be able to use and to what purposes. It's quite worrying, especially when you consider it's all outsourced - to the same people who have lost CD's of our personal information!!!

Dave

CF Legend
I sent a comment to the Have Your Say thing on BBC which read

"If we can opt out of this then so can muderers, thiefs, buglars, rapists and most importantly terroists, which the card was supposed to quash"

A

Anonymous

Ian, when i was talking about it being a stealth tax,I meant if it was made madatory. If everyone in the country is forking out £30-£60 each, then they'll have plenty of cash to spend on their 5 houses. Sorry about being unclear before.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
But as Ian was saying, he £30-£60 cost would go towards the costs of setting up such a massive system, which will probably need a separate government branch to deal with it.

Anyway, I'm against the system, as I see it as an invasion of my civil liberties for no gain, and also a dangerous precedent about how the government can collect and store information. I personally can't see these ever coming into effect though, they'll never get the mandatory ID card bill through with serious debate, and by that time, the Conservatives will be in power, and they aren't too keen on the cards at the moment.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
^That's exactly what I thought...

God this government is crap...

All governments are crap because they are full of dishonest people. Dishonesty and selfishness is the only way you get to a position of power. Unless you are Obama.