From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When I first toyed with the idea of a “Life Outside” forum,
furie said:
it's also a place for you to put your Isle of Wight reports Ian
It's like furie can see the future!

For those of you that don’t know me that well or read what I post, very year for the last five years, me and my local mates go to the Isle of Wight and get pissed.

It’s now a tradition. It’s all about boys and their beer. There’s no talk about families, problems, babies or any other such bollox. It’s about getting pissed on an island with good friends

I’m aware that some of you don’t like alcohol and look down your noses on people who do use it as an excuse for having a good time, so I dedicate this topic to you.

As always, the day starts at Southampton’s Red Funnel ferry terminal.
cfiow.JPG

The ferry journey between Southampton and East Cowes takes about an hour. It’s a gash way to start a day, but it has to be done. We all kill time in our own little way.
I did the sodukos in the Sun.
cfiow%20(1).JPG

I also counted how many nipples there were in the Daily Sport. Can’t remember the exact figure, but it was nearly 300!
cfiow%20(2).JPG

Seeing as everybody loves Paul, here he is doing what he loves best….
cfiow%20(3).JPG

….play fruit machines!
cfiow%20(4).JPG

Mark read a book. He’s the most intellectual out of all of us. Apparently the book was about cause and effect. I nodded politely as he explained.
cfiow%20(5).JPG

Others eat, walked around on deck, read papers. Just after midday, we had docked in East Cowes!

We cover about 100 miles driving around the Island so obviously somebody has to stay sober. This year it was the turn of Mess to drive. He was quite happy about it tbh. For the last few years he had fallen asleep by 5pm.
cfiow%20(6).JPG

Eager for a lovely refreshing pint of warm English ale, our first pub was only a couple of miles drive away. The trouble with the Isle of Wight is that the roads are very slow and it’s full of old people. It took 20mins to travel 3 miles.

The first Stop was The Sloop in Wotton Bridge. An ok pub, a cheap carvary but we weren’t interested in food just yet! After our traditional toast to the Isle of Wight, the banter and drinking competition begins!
cfiow%20(8).JPG

Either there’s something up with Marriot’s pint or he’s not impressed with the jokes.
cfiow%20(9).JPG

To guide us around the Isle of Wight, we use The CAMRA Good Beer Guide. We refer to it as “The Good Book” because it’s our bible. Although this bible is actual based on fact.
cfiow%20(10).JPG

We take The Good Book in every pub. It occasionally makes us look like beer geeks, but we want a good pint so we’re never ashamed! As we’re supping our pint, we’ll plan the route to the next pub.
cfiow%20(11).JPG

We went to the Solent Inn in Ryde.
cfiow%20(12).JPG

It’s one of the best pubs on the Island if you ask me. Loads of decent beer, good honest pub food at reasonable prices and it’s not a plastic chain pub. An honest backstreet free house. The landlady (on the right) remembers us every year and always gives us a bowl of nuts.
cfiow%20(13).JPG

Apart from Marriot and Mark, we’re all smokers (although they do occasionally when wasted), so we’re forced to sit outside most of the time. That’s fine if the weather is good. The Solent has a lovely beer garden.
cfiow%20(14).JPG

We ate in the Solent as well. I had a ploughman’s, Mess and Marriot had steak, Ren and Paul had fajitas, and Mark had a steak & cheese baguette.
cfiow%20(15).JPG

Who is reaching for the cider?
cfiow%20(16).JPG

It’s the big man!
cfiow%20(17).JPG

Next pub was The Vine Inn in St Helens.
cfiow%20(18).JPG

It was Mark’s round. He was cheesed off because the service was SLOW.
cfiow%20(19).JPG

cfiow%20(20).JPG

cfiow%20(21).JPG

Mess and I had a game of pool.
cfiow%20(22).JPG

cfiow%20(23).JPG

cfiow%20(24).JPG

I lost.
cfiow%20(25).JPG

It was winner stays on, so Mark played Mess.
cfiow%20(26).JPG

Meanwhile, Paul and Marriot played the fruit machines. Ren managed to capture the money they won the jackpot!
cfiow%20(27).JPG

Before we knew it, it was time to get back in the car. We had a Nissan Gashqai!
cfiow%20(28).JPG

The car journeys between pubs tend to be long enough to enjoy a few songs and let the beer go down.
cfiow%20(29).JPG

Bembridge was next, the pub was called The Olde Village Inn. It’s an ok pub, nothing remarkable. A couple of locals at the bar seemed interested in what we were doing and I managed to answer their question… The answer was Monosodium glutamate :wink:

It was only 3:15pm, I think the booze was starting to tire Mark out.
cfiow%20(30).JPG

However, the rest of us were really getting into the swing of things!
cfiow%20(31).JPG

cfiow%20(32).JPG

cfiow%20(33).JPG

We trapped a wasp in the glasses. There were loads of the buggers in this pub!
cfiow%20(34).JPG

The locals recommended The Old Comical pub to us. Apparently it featured in an episode of Location, Location, Location.
cfiow%20(35).JPG

In Groundhog Day fashion, we played some pool…
cfiow%20(36).JPG

…and Paul, yes, you know…
cfiow%20(37).JPG

cfiow%20(38).JPG

We didn’t stay for long. Our next hit was The Four Seasons in Wroxhal.
cfiow%20(39).JPG

Last year, Mess threw up all over the beer garden! Thankfully the landlord didn’t remember us but Mess was still a bit sheepish,.
cfiow%20(40).JPG

The tempo was beating fast now, so I consulted The Good Book for the next drinking establishment.
cfiow%20(41).JPG

It was to be The White Horse in Whitwell. We decided to do drink our beer through straws this time round. Spice things up a bit.
cfiow%20(43).JPG

We really gayed up Mess’ lime and soda.
cfiow%20(44).JPG

Booze can either make you really happy or depressed. It’s easy to work out how it’s affecting Mark right now.
cfiow%20(45).JPG

Anyway, we cracked jokes, took the piss out of one another and discussed stuff as if we were so righteous. We also double-up in this pub.
cfiow%20(47).JPG

Hurrah! Something changed Mark’s mood!
cfiow%20(48).JPG

On we headed to The White Lion in Arreton.
cfiow%20(49).JPG

If you’re wondering who was taking these photos, it was Ren. He doesn’t like anybody playing with his camera, but I managed to nick it to take a quick snap of him.
cfiow%20(50).JPG

It was time for more food. We tried one pub on the way but the menu looked ****. We had a pint there though. We soon moved on to the next pub, the Sun in Calbourne.
cfiow%20(51).JPG

There was an hour-long wait for food. A bit annoying but it gave us time to drink, smoke and be merry.
cfiow%20(52).JPG

cfiow%20(53).JPG

cfiow%20(54).JPG

cfiow%20(55).JPG

cfiow%20(56).JPG

We were getting quite rowdy now. We were constantly taking the piss out of each other, laughing, singing and generally being twats. Mess couldn’t believe what he’s usually missed out on!
cfiow%20(57).JPG

But we were hungry. We worked our way clockwise around the Island and the pubs are far and few between in the west. We had no choice to wait. Paul was getting a bit cheesed off.
cfiow%20(58).JPG

So to lighten the mood, we had another pint!
cfiow%20(59).JPG

cfiow%20(60).JPG

Eventually we sat down inside and ate our food. I opted for bacon dumplings. They were delicious, but to be honest, after the long wait and all the beer, a skinned rat in Raybould special sauce would have been appetising.

After eating, we purposely crammed back in the Gashqai and headed to Freshwater. We went to the Prince of Wales pub. It’s a local pub for local people. The sort of pub where everybody goes silent when you enter and looks at you. It doesn’t feel friendly at all.
cfiow%20(62).JPG

The landlord is also the longest serving publican on the Isle of Wight but he’s also the most miserable. He never makes us feel welcome, but with some polite "thank yous" and addressing him as “sir”, he’s an alright bloke.
cfiow%20(61).JPG

We made this one a quick one. We felt it would have been inappropriate to raise our voices or enjoy ourselves there. We did put 50p in the pool table though.
cfiow%20(63).JPG

What does Paul think of the Prince of Wales pub?
cfiow%20(64).JPG

cfiow%20(65).JPG

cfiow%20(66).JPG

Time was against us now, so our final pub of the day was the Fat Cat in Freshwater Bay. It’s a chavvy pub, but at least it has life. I wasn’t in the mood for a chav atmosphere.
cfiow%20(68).JPG

That didn’t stop Marriot from being a bit sideways though.
cfiow%20(70).JPG

The Isle of Wight Piss-Up 2010 had come to an end. We sang and farted our way back to East Cowes and caught the ferry back to Southampton.
cfiow%20(71).JPG

These steps are a nightmare when you’ve had a skin full!
cfiow%20(72).JPG

Mark read his book…
cfiow%20(73).JPG

…Marriot kept up the cheese factor….
cfiow%20(74).JPG

…and I fell asleep.
cfiow%20(75).JPG

In all, we each drank (with the exception of the diver!), 13 pints each. Although Mark was on JD and coke from the second pub onwards, so he probably consumed less units overall.

Although it was an amazing day out, I certainly paid for it over the weekend. I was quite useless. I had no desire to do anything apart from sleep, had really bad guts and a headache that lasted for four days.

I can’t wait to do it again next year :D Cheers for reading!

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I actually saw the episode of Location, Location, Location with that pub on there.

Glad to see you always seem to sleep on ferries :p

peep

CF Legend
Haha, epic PTR Mr Ian. Enjoyed reading about your shenanigans with your mates.

Could you tell your friend Ren that his pictures are cool.

Nic

Strata Poster
You mean no one stuck stickers all over your head while you were asleep on the ferry on the way back? ;)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
A brilliant read Mr Bell! Nice to see people enjoying their alcohol for the sake of a PTR and not just getting absolutely bladdered,..in both ways.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nic said:
You mean no one stuck stickers all over your head while you were asleep on the ferry on the way back? ;)
No, because they know I'm likely to thump them if they tried.

Thanks for the comments so far. It'll probably be the last Life Outside I do for a while. Not because I'm not doing anything (I am!) but I get the feeling they're not read, which is disappointing after spending several hours writing it up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Brilliant. I think it's excellent you actually go "for the ale", not just to get tanked up :)

Really enjoyed reading the report, I was with you every pint of the way :D

ryan462

Hyper Poster
[First post in ages]

That was a great report of what looked like a really fun day!

Also, your friend Paul seems like such a nice guy :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
Brilliant. I think it's excellent you actually go "for the ale", not just to get tanked up :)
And the pubs.

I love pub culture and thankfully so do my local mates.

It's like somebody is opening up their house and inviting you in to get pissed. That's why I'm not a fan of big chain pubs (although can't beat a 'spoons for price and variety of ale). I'm happier in a local, backstreet pub people watching and soaking up the atmosphere rather than heading to a 'spoons and chugging beer down my throat. Although there is a time for that, too!

Although The Good Book is a only a reference to where you get good beer (not good pubs), if the beer quality is good, usually the pub is too.

Pierre

Strata Poster
You said the Star in Middlesbrough was in that before... and the Star is bollocks. The selection of ales is great but the crowd and the staff are ****ers.

Anyway, great report, really jealous.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
And the pubs.

I love pub culture and thankfully so do my local mates.

It's like somebody is opening up their house and inviting you in to get pissed. That's why I'm not a fan of big chain pubs (although can't beat a 'spoons for price and variety of ale). I'm happier in a local, backstreet pub people watching and soaking up the atmosphere rather than heading to a 'spoons and chugging beer down my throat. Although there is a time for that, too!

Totally agree. I much prefer a decent pub with character than a chain. There are still a few in Stafford thankfully for those few occasions I actually go out.

As you say, generally the quality of ale tends to signify the quality of the atmosphere (but not always).

Did realise earlier that you'd posted the same time as me LOL! :)

thx

Mega Poster
^True.

Great TR!, is this the 2nd 3rd Isle of Wight piss-up PTR you've done so far?

Pub crawls are awesome, also I appreciate the fact that you try to taste new beers, as I do enjoy that as well, would be such a waste tbh, if you'd only tried like Carling and Carlsberg in your whole life, lol.

How is it in England btw, do the pubs generally close around 11pm-midnight? or was that some old info I picked up somewhere?. I should get back to the UK sometime soon(ish) for some proper pubs, real ale and IPA's.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Really great PTR again Ian. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and it's the sort of thing I'd quite like to do at some point.

Really good job!

Nic

Strata Poster
All pubs used to shut at 11 by law. A few years ago, that changed. However, the majority still close at 11 or 12, certainly during the week. Some, particularly in busy towns, will stay open later (2am maybe) especially at weekends.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
thx said:
Great TR!, is this the 2nd 3rd Isle of Wight piss-up PTR you've done so far?
I think it's the first one I've posted in detail, usually I post a couple of pics.

I'm glad that you posted in this topic! When I was playing with a beer mat, I remembered that you mentioned once that you collected them.

I'm not sure if you still do, but I pocketed several Isle of Wight ones for you!

I'll bring them to Liseberg!