What's new

Is there an unspoken rule for ride t-shirts?

coaster addict

Mega Poster
Okay, so I have not been to Carowinds or KD, but I will be at each this week. However, I have 3 CP shirts, 3 or 4 KI shirts, and a few SFOG shirts... are there unspoken rules that many prefer to follow? Of course, I will probably not take SFOG shirts with me since I will not be at a Six Flags park on this trip, but what are your unspoken rules? Of course, old shirts from defunct rides might be cool too, right?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Never wear them to a park. I won't wear band tees to a live gig or anything like that either.

If you're in that situation, then people know that you like those things. To show personality, then you wear something that individualises you and could cause a talking point/discussion.

Or that's what I think any way :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In general, I steer clear of amusement park clothing, as it often doesn't suite my taste. If I do see someone wearing a blatant roller coaster shirt from a park outside of the one I am presently visiting, I (contradictorily) define them as that roller coaster geek. If making sure every inch of you is covered in roller coaster tat is your prerogative, so be it. Just be aware that when you run across coaster enthusiasts who are not wearing the obligatory Cedar Point glasses strap or Dollywood Wild Eagle visor - you will be flagrantly judged.

So yes, wear whatever you want (spice it up with the Six Flags/Cedar Fair mismatch!), but just do it tastefully.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^Most snobs that are enthusiasts will have that line of thinking (I am better than you), whether you go all in or don't.

I wear whatever shirt I have packed to theme parks. Theme park tat can be used as a conversation starter (if you want it to), I have had people come up to me for my boulderdash tee, and have asked other people about rides, because of the shirt they are wearing.

coaster addict

Mega Poster
I was thinking about wearing Banshee shirt to Carowinds and CP shirt to KD since I'm anxious to finally compare I305 to MF!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Always wear the shirt you bought at the park to the park. Also, where possible, be sure to buy t-shirts of all the roller coasters. Bring them with you to your trip to the park and change into them before each ride. Hope that helps.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Umm, I think this is a question for 2012Jarrett. He's the King goon and when it comes to t-shirts; what Jarrett says, goes!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^Thank you, Darren. I just saw this.

Typically when putting a gooniform (that's the official term :p ) together I try to pick clothes that will make me seem as nerdy as possible. As in, I wore my Cheetah Hunt t-shirt to Six Flags Magic Mountain because it's on the other side of the country, indicating I've gone to great lengths to ride coasters. I also have a Banshee Media Day shirt that suggests a lot if you wear it to a far away park. For you, I'd go SFOG or CP.

Typically I do it A. to mark myself as an enthusiast and B. as stated above, it's a good conversation starter.

Snoo

The Legend
rtotheizzo17 said:
^Most snobs that are enthusiasts will have that line of thinking (I am better than you), whether you go all in or don't.

I wear whatever shirt I have packed to theme parks. Theme park tat can be used as a conversation starter (if you want it to), I have had people come up to me for my boulderdash tee, and have asked other people about rides, because of the shirt they are wearing.

Those snobs that are enthusiasts aren't really worth being around or interacting with in the first place.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I just wear my Maverick Opening Day XXL whenever I fly, in case I need to make a quick escape and need a parachute. :wink:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I don't really wear coaster t shirts or clothing as it does look a bit nerdy. Don't have any hate/snobbiness against people who do. Just my taste.

I do like a good goon bag or accessory though. The observant goon can pick it out will you are still being understated. I have to say it's nice for someone to come up and say hi if I'm in a park in my own.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Pretty much whenever I go to a park I wear a coaster shirt just seems like it fits. I only have a handful of coaster shirts so if I am going to a park a couple days in a row I will usually just where one on one of the days and where whatever the next day.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Does it really matter?

I went to Shambhala Media Day with a Silver Star top and a Bluefire bag. Needless to say, it was the last media day I have ever attended.

coaster addict

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
^Thank you, Darren. I just saw this.

Typically when putting a gooniform (that's the official term :p ) together I try to pick clothes that will make me seem as nerdy as possible. As in, I wore my Cheetah Hunt t-shirt to Six Flags Magic Mountain because it's on the other side of the country, indicating I've gone to great lengths to ride coasters. I also have a Banshee Media Day shirt that suggests a lot if you wear it to a far away park. For you, I'd go SFOG or CP.

Typically I do it A. to mark myself as an enthusiast and B. as stated above, it's a good conversation starter.

I think my Banshee Media Day shirt helped me at KD.

Here is the quick story. We were given quick queues for Carowinds, but we decided to get there on Tuesday evening before it closed to get in a few rides so we could split it up the next day. The next morning, I wore Banshee Media Day shirt since I did not have a shirt from Carowinds. Since we hit the park Tuesday night, we got the rest of the rides in quickly on Wednesday and did not even need to quick queues. So, we left to head to KD around 4pm and got there before 9pm! After finally finding I305 and riding it as the park closed, we ran into some of the big wigs as we exited. Since we were coming back the next day (for the entire day), I stopped and asked a park director a few questions about KD so we were better prepared. We talked about the lack of USB photo drives at KD (a huge surprise to us) as well as asking questions about what rides are open early for Platinum pass holders... and the fact that KD does not have a coaster that requires a locker. Well, he must have noticed my Banshee media day shirt and asked us if we had Fast Lane passes for the Thursday. We mentioned that we did not know if we would buy them (our reasons not told to him was that it was a weekday and we already spent $360 on 2 days of Fast Lane Plus for 2 people at CP). So, he immediately said that, if I emailed him that night, he would have his team reserve 2 Fast Lane Plus passes for free! I guess the shirt helped, huh?

Then, I wore KD 40th anniversary shirt on the second day at CP... I definitely like the idea of wearing a shirt from the east coast while on the west coast, etc. I was asked about KD while riding Magnum... the attendant wanted to ride 305! That's a cool feeling!

Now, if I could find an original Banshee (CP) season passholder limited shirt on eBay, I'd definitely wear that to KI next time!

Darren B

Giga Poster
^What about buying ride t-shirts for rides you haven't even been on, Dan. I remember you buying a t-shirt for the vertical drop water slide at Skara, but not riding it. Instead, opting to slide down the 5 ft slide and splash around in the toddlers pool ;)

My thoughts - anyone that wears ride t-shirts is a complete moron and needs to be shot.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Well - there were a few circumstances around buying said t-shirt.

1 - I couldn't ride said slide because of the thunder.
2 - I wanted to do the usual goony thing of buying tat as they'd let us in the park free
3 - having decided on (2), I wanted to buy a T shirt - but the general park tshirts were only available in childrens sizes, at least in the shop I was in at the time!)
4 - :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
My thoughts - anyone that wears ride t-shirts is a complete moron and needs to be shot.
Oh the irony!
Pretty sure you wore every one you own at the live, including your sleep shirt.

I only have one, and i'll wear it every now and then to a park. Have no issue with gooniform, buy it, wear it.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Bitch please! I only brought a small selection of gooniform to Sweden.

On a serious note, I have no issues with people wearing ride shirts, and I'm certainly not ashamed to wear them myself. When I'm not in a park then it's different, I won't wear one. But if I'm at a park and being a goon I'll happily wear one.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I'll never manage this amount of goonery though, this is just EPIC.

7756D610-31DF-4987-8C5D-0FAA8E6440CF_zps4qvi6f8h.jpg