What's new

Is firehawk or vortex better at kings island?

Which is better?

• Vortex

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Firehawk

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Blackhole6670

Roller Poster
These are both two coasters I want to ride when I go to Kings Island, but I am not sure Firehawk is a good starting coaster. The other coaster I was thinking was Vortex but I am not sure. Which coaster is better? Why? Can you tell your on ride experiences for ether ride or both? I am planning to ride these, but am not sure which to ride first. I have ridden a roller coaster with loops but I have not ridden a flying coaster just in case you are wondering. After voting please say why you voted what you did.

Ben

CF Legend
Are you going to KI?! You haven't mentioned it?!

They're both **** awful.

Firehawk has awful operations, is dull and makes you feel sick.

Vortex is just rough as tits.

If you want a starter coaster do Bat or Backlot first.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I prefer Firehawk because the sensations I felt were greater and more enjoyable compared to Vortex.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Firehawk is better because it's at least an interesting experience. Unless if you want to start the day with a concussion and a dose of brain trauma, do Firehawk as one of the first. For a starter coaster, do Bat or Backlot, or even one of the kiddie creds.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
By my count, this is the 8th thread about your Kings Island trip. I assure you, you will have fun, and needn't worry about comparing this vs. that, etc. :)

Firehawk is my favorite, as it is a more memorable (while terrifying) experience. Vortex is a pretty rough roller coaster, and definitely not worth starting on.

As for a recommended itinerary, I'd stick with my recommendation in your other thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39662&start9

Hyde said:
You have broached this question a number of times, and everyone seems to be in agreement that starting small and working your way up to be a best plan of approach.

I have been in your shoes. I hated riding roller coasters, out of the fear of airtime and steep drops. However, I realized that starting with the smaller roller coasters helped me realize the design was not nearly as aggressive as I feared, and I worked up from there.

Here is the plan of attack I would recommend:

1. Ride Adventure Express. This is a true Arrow Mine Train - perfect for families with no steep drops or bursts of speed. Just lots of fun turns and straightaways. (And my second favorite mine train overall, a personal favorite!)

2. Ride Backlot Stunt Coaster. This is a family-oriented ride that does not feature any large drops or inversions. A great way to work up from Adventure Express, and see how you feel riding a faster-paced roller coaster. :)

3. Stop and reflect on the previous two roller coasters, to see how you felt. If you think they were good, then proceed!

4. Ride Surf Dog (Avatar Airbender). Wait, a flat ride? Yes - while this is technically a Disco, it will further step up the game on seeing how you can cope with spinning and decent pops of airtime.

5. Ride Racer. This is a larger roller coaster, but one that features very gradual hills and airtime hills. Nothing drastic here, just a simple out-and-back wooden coaster (and a very famous one at that).

6. Ride Bat (Top Gun). This is a slightly more intense ride than the Racer, as the suspended cars sway. But it is a very fun layout that packs in some fun g-forces and is well worth the ride!

7. If you have gotten here, you have done great! Riding all previously mentioned rides gives you a great foundation, and everything from here on out is only slightly more speed, forces, drops, etc.

8. Ride Beast. Yes you heard me. While Beast is notorious for its length, it is not notorious for its speed or drops. Seriously, the roller coaster's first drop is 140 ft., but it also has a trim brake, much like other portions of the ride. This roller coaster is about ride duration, and honestly does not pack any major airtime or steep drops. If you can ride the previous rides, Beast is an easy step.

9. Just keep going. I would probably ride Vortex next to introduce inversions, and then move on to Flight of Fear, Firehawk, Delirium (Giant Swing), Invertigo, Diamondback, and Banshee. I do honestly skip Drop Tower as I am not a fan of drop towers. Once you get the momentum going, you realize the biggest barrier is all in your mind for riding roller coasters - the actual riding is not nearly as bad as you fear!

I think I'm one of the only people who enjoy Vekoma Flying Dutchman. They're by no means a top ten coaster, but it has a fair amount of intensity and a unique layout. The restraints can be a little uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as the entirety of Vortex.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Firehawk was fun enough that I rode Superman the next time I was at Great Adventure. I had been on it before, and I didn't like it and skipped it whenever I went back. After Firehawk, I decided to give it another shot, and I didn't like it, so I guess my point is that Firehawk is good enough that you don't have to like flyers to like it.

Vortex shook like crazy. Then we started up the lift. It's a shame, because the layout is pretty cool. The boomerang gets really close to the trees. Someone on my train grabbed a twig and brought it back with him.