What's new

Is Expedition Everest a Mine Train?

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
A mine train is often described as having trains themed to a train, with the front often being the locomotive, and also having no big drops. Expedition Everest does not have these. Yet, a mine train is also described as having sometimes anamatrinic figures, and going through lots of scenery and having more than one lift. Expedition Everest has these. Yet, it is also pretty high, at over 100 feet, which is abnormal for a mine train. Yet, it also has the style that a mine train would have. So is it a mine train, or not? I personally do not consider it one. But what do you guys think?

BBH

Giga Poster
I consider neither Everest nor (contrary to your last countdown video) Big Grizzly Mountain to be mine trains. If you don't find Everest to be a mine train, it's quite unfair to call BGM one.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Honest question: Are you sitting in mine train "carriages" - themed to look like the things you dump coal or whatever you're mining in to? If so, it's a mine train.

A "train" doesn't need to have a locomotive.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^^ Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars.

The clue is in the name.

You're sitting in one of a train of mine cars, traveling through a mine. A bear pushes a lever, causing the train to become one of a "runaway" variety.

The whole thing sits in Grizzly Gulch, a mining town.

Sure, there's a backwards section and a launch, which you don't normally see on the coaster type, but even they are themed to match the action of a mine.

Casio

Mega Poster
I agree with furie - the ride is in no way themed to a mine; yes you're on a train, yes you're on a mountain, but it's nothing to do with mines. It doesn't matter how tall or fast, it's the theme that counts for me. Big Grizzly therefore would be

Robbie

Hyper Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
Yet, a mine train is also described as having sometimes anamatrinic figures, and going through lots of scenery and having more than one lift.
This doesn't really fit my definition of a mine train - I'm thinking of Alton or Chessington, for instance. I think, basically, if the train looks a bit like mine carts and is family-friendly then it's some variation on a mine train ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Casio said:
I agree with furie - the ride is in no way themed to a mine; yes you're on a train, yes you're on a mountain, but it's nothing to do with mines. It doesn't matter how tall or fast, it's the theme that counts for me. Big Grizzly therefore would be

Remember, a mine train could also be the train that carries the goods from a mine down a mountain. It doesn't actually have to go into a mine, a smaller version of the Mauch Chunk gravity railroad that used to litter the world (and still probably do).

Anyway, the absolute end to the argument is what the manufacturer call it. As Vekoma call it a mine train coaster, it's a mine train coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
CPSFMMCW said:
A mine train is often described as having trains themed to a train, with the front often being the locomotive, and also having no big drops.
Bear in mind, the Mine Train was introduced in 1966 with the Runaway Mine Train at SFOT, but the train detail of having an "engine" car wasn't created until 1973 with Carolina Goldrusher.

While Everest and Grizzly are more intense than their traditional Arrow counterparts, they still fall into the mine train concept for having long winding turns, mine themes, and designed as an overall family coaster. Mine trains also have moderate speeds - Everest only reaches 50 mph, 2 mph faster than Thunderation at SDC.

BBH

Giga Poster
I guess Everest and BGM aren't typical mine trains, they're more intensified versions of the mine train concept. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, though.