What's new

IP V6 Day - Heads up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. GMT, IP V6 day begins for 24 hours.

What is IP V6 day? It's a day of testing out the internet to see how well it can cope with IP V6. The internet currently runs on IP V4, it's a way of numbering every internet device uniquely. Each device is given a number between 0 and 255, followed by a point, by another number between 0 and 255, another point, another number, another point and a final number. This gives a lot of possible numbers for the world, but it's rapidly running out of space.

So IP V6 is the solution with an ridiculous range of potential address numbers. Slowly over the last few years, the internet has been upgraded in the background to take advantage of this. Tomorrow is the first real world test.

What does this mean for you? Well, there's a chance that some web sites may vanish; the internet may be very slow or the things may be a little unpredictable for those 12 hours. So if you suddenly find things playing up after 12:00 p.m. tomorrow, it's probably just the testing.

There's more information here:
http://fix.clara.net/

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I LOVE this. There's something very awesome in 'upgrading' the WHOLE internet.

Even thought I'm not clued up on all the details (and I have no desire to be really, I'm not wired like a computer programmer) I think it's an incredible undertaking.

As someone who does know about this stuff, do you think it'll work furie?

kimahri

CF Legend
What will happen to my minecraft addictio- Server and how many more proxies do I need to hide behind to stop the FBI?

Dave

CF Legend
Quick while there is still time!

tin-foil-hat.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mouse said:
Will CF be affected?

Only if your ISP has IP V6 stuff that may get confused connecting to the people playing with the internet!

Hixee said:
As someone who does know about this stuff, do you think it'll work furie?

I imagine there'll be some teething issues, it's a major "upgrade", but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. They've been developing it for years.

kimahri said:
What will happen to my minecraft addictio- Server and how many more proxies do I need to hide behind to stop the FBI?

It will cause your PC to reveal every piece of digital data you've ever looked at in your life and remove all proxies and direct you straight to the FBI!

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
kimahri said:

It will cause your PC to reveal every piece of digital data you've ever looked at in your life and remove all proxies and direct you straight to the FBI!

Oh, good job I've disguised this computer as Ian's so he'll be the one they'll go after.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So is there a bloke with a big button that basically re-boots the internet?

Where is this operation controlled from and who is 'pushing the buttons' (as it were)?

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
South Parks episode "Over Logging" has all your answers to where the internet is located, what would happen if it was to ever "break" and who pushes the big buttons :)

south+park.jpg

Nic

Strata Poster
So, did the internet blow up?

Was it any more likely to break the internet than someone typing google into google?