What's new

Inversions

fishman100

Mega Poster
Alright, for anyone who has been to Kings Dominion in Doswell, VA, knows that a good percent of the rides there (and pretty much at any other amusement park) have at least 1 inversion.

My friend likes wooden coasters. I like steel coasters with lots of inversions. Even though I prefer steel coasters, I'll ride most wooden coasters. So I'm a pretty versatile guy when it comes to coaster selection :)

We're supposed to be going there sometime next week, and we were plotting our plan of attack once we enter the park.

I'm having some trouble convincing him to hop on a coaster with inversions; I've explained them to him carefully and even showed Coasterforce POV's on Youtube and fooled around with them on RCT3.

Let's put it this way: if he doesn't try a coaster with inversions when we go, he'll be absolutely miserable at the end of the year, when our entire grade gets to visit King's Dominion.

So how can I get him to ride a coaster with inversions??? Any ideas???

-fishman100

KDGrizzly4Life

Mega Poster
Hey fishman100! I actually work at Kings Dominion and I have been visiting there for about 10 years! So he's nervous about inversions? Hmm... The best option for anything is to start slow. I would hit Shockwave, which only has one inversion, is rather slow and overall a fun ride! I would then work up to either Flight of Fear or Volcano if you don't mind launches, then Dominator if you feel rather daring :D

fishman100

Mega Poster
You work at KD? Awesome! :D

We were actually talking about starting with Anaconda, and then moving on to either Shockwave or Dominator (Dominator 2nd.... :twisted: )

I've heard that Shockwave hurts like crazy, and if that's true then I certainly won't be surprised (I felt rattled after I got off Joker's Jinx at SFMM). Flight of Fear is indoors, and you can't really see anything, so i think the inversions might throw him for a loop. (HA! sorry, bad pun)

Both of us aren't really too hyped about Volcano; I think we put it somewhere near the bottom of our list. And is it true that Grizzly is opening in May this year???

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
fishman100 said:
, so i think the inversions might throw him for a loop.
When I read that I heard "ba dum tssss" :lol:

And to add to the topic I would go to anaconda before shockwave.

Lofty

CF Legend
fishman100 said:
My friend likes wooden coasters. I like steel coasters with lots of inversions. Even though I prefer steel coasters...

So which is better? Steel or Wooden? There's only one way to find out. FIGHT!

fishman100

Mega Poster
Our plan was to ride Anaconda first, since it's only 60 MPH and it has a few inversions, including the (classic) loop.

And lofty, let's bash 2 coasters-one wooden and one steel-together and see who stands! lol

But we're going to ride pretty much everything there :D

Lofty

CF Legend
fishman100 said:
Our plan was to ride Anaconda first, since it's only 60 MPH and it has a few inversions, including the (classic) loop.

And lofty, let's bash 2 coasters-one wooden and one steel-together and see who stands! lol

Guessing you're not from the UK so don't know Harry Hill? ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o[/youtube]

fishman100

Mega Poster
-lofty- said:
fishman100 said:

Guessing you're not from the UK so don't know Harry Hill? ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o[/youtube]

No, I live in the US so I had no idea who Harry Hill was (until a few minutes ago).

Good thing about King's Dominion was that after I forced my friend onto Anaconda, he started liking inversions. He almost blacked out on the loop though, since he didn't know it was best to keep your head back :p

And Anaconda is a headbanger :\

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Glad to hear the inversion quest came out alright.

Corkscrew at CP was my first inversion. I was coaxed on by being told it is just like any other turn, which in reality is pretty accurate. You simply deal with vertical g's rather than lateral.

fishman100

Mega Poster
My first coaster with inversions was Batman:The Ride at Magic Mountain :p
And corkscrews are pretty much like a turn; whoever told you that was right :)