What's new

Innovative coaster models that never 'hit the big time'

EthC

Mega Poster
1. The S&S Screamin' Squirrel. These definately didnt take off and for good reason. They are uncomfortable and crap. Why Merlin put one in Gardaland I will never know.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Smithy said:
POV for those that may not have seen it. It's ridiculous. **** being front row on that.

The back's a lot scarier as you're considerably higher up. At the front it's really not much of a drop at all. Here's an absolutely amazing video - whoever took it is clearly a genius, though it's a shame about the poor quality camera used - that shows the whole thing from off-ride:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1O-I5jYdVk[/youtube]

I hadn't thought about Intamin's Aquatrax until somebody else mentioned it. The only reason I can think of that's prevented other parks from getting one is cost. You wouldn't have to have the extensive theming that Atlantis Adventure has I guess, or even the water, but if a park just wanted a straight-up, launched, single car coaster, then I'm guessing that something like Lynet or Anubis from Gerstlauer would still be quite a bit cheaper.

Edit - Ugh, what is it with this **** ing website and not embedding Youtube videos properly anymore?

Smithy

Strata Poster
I did come across that video and put 2 and 2 together. Can't even begin to imagine what each seat would feel like, far back and as you say you go high up into the air and over, front seat and you drop under, middle you probably hardly notice in comparison.

Wonder if youtube embedding has changed as on others sites it's just the last part of url whereas before on here I swear it was just the full link

Hutch

Strata Poster
^ Forgot about those too. I agree with you. Zacspins seem like a fun little coaster that offers a lot o' thril.

Although the US will have another Zacspin built at Steel Pier.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Yes, the ZacSpins are still fairly new and there have been quite a few built on regular basis (4 in existence, and one more being built). And they don't need to be small. I remember Intamin saying at IAAPA that the only reason to why no large scale model has been built is because no park has demanded it (I guess one great appeal with this ride type is to be able to squeeze it in anywhere). Intamin said that it is possible to order a full sized ZacSpin doing turns and all!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Edit - Ugh, what is it with this **** ing website and not embedding Youtube videos properly anymore?

Delete the "s" at the end of "http."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1O-I5jYdVk[/youtube]

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
^Actually it IS him.

His Atlantis Adventure POV that was posted on CoasterForce's youtube channel is on that channel.
The account name is Gavin Jones.
At the end of the video it says "coasterforce.com" for Gravity Max.
Gavin has been to both Taiwan and South Korea.
I'm pretty sure that he's the only one on CoasterForce that has creds in Taiwan (besides rollermonkey)
He wrote a park guide for Taiwanese parks around the time this was uploaded.
A direct quote from his Atlantis Adventure POV, "It's made by Intamin, not B&M." means he's an enthusiast.

I think that's enough proof. Aqua is right.

Gavin you can correct me if i'm wrong.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's ironic that you have a quote in your signature about somebody not understanding sarcasm, isn't it?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Well these three last posts have made me laugh quite considerably. XD

Wouldn't mind trying gravity max though. looks smexy

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Lol, I'm just waiting for Gavin to post...

What about Winjas? That ride is pretty damn innovative - it's almost like a catalouge of what they can do in terms of trick track - but you don't see Maurer Söhne incorporating it in any of its current rides

madhjsp

Giga Poster
ZOMG no way, it's the same Gavin!? So that's why he said this..
gavin said:
Here's an absolutely amazing video - whoever took it is clearly a genius

And who'da guessed we have our very own private eye lurking the forums as well? :p

Martyn B

CF Legend
Front seat of Gravity Max looks worse for me.... I'd be in tears as the train slowly approaches the end of the track....