What's new

Incident at M&D's

Nic

Strata Poster
Tsunami at M&D's got stuck over the weekend, leaving riders stranded for 5 hours. All were rescued safely, and appear to be unharmed.

Further details about what happened, or the future of the ride are not currently available

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

article-2010970-0CDAF72D00000578-337_634x413.jpg

article-2010970-0CDB0BF900000578-276_634x811.jpg

spicy

Giga Poster
5 Hours! I would be going insane!

As a side note- Is this the same Tsunami coaster that was once in the Christmas fair in the millenium dome/O2 arena....?

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, M&Ds is like a summer dumping ground, and they take some rides around for the winter as well. It's been to Goose Fair at least once as well.

Hurri

Mega Poster
Not the first time M&Ds have had this happen, but that's a bloody long time to take evacuating it. I'm surprised it's even been signed off by ADIPS or similar without any lift hill steps or anything. Wasn't a lack of lift steps one of the reasons behind Black Hole's demise?

M&Ds need to look at why this happens and have a plan ready in place for when it does. Maybe compensating occasionally is cheaper than modifying the ride or operating a more in-depth maintenance schedule...

spicy

Giga Poster
Hurri said:
I'm surprised it's even been signed off by ADIPS or similar without any lift hill steps or anything. Wasn't a lack of lift steps one of the reasons behind Black Hole's demise?

Its probably something to do with the fact that this is a travelling coaster that it doesn't need lift hill steps I'd guess but agreed it does seem stupid.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The last person was lowered after 8.5 hours. Imagine if they were a diabetic or something else that would lead to great problems being stranded up there for that amount of time.

It's a joke that they have no contingency plans available and had to rely on police rope access guys using what is a very slow way of rescuing people.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'm pretty sure they'd have checked for stuff like that rather quickly.

They should be prepared for stuff like this, and that's an awfully long time to wait, but... **** happens.

T0M

Hyper Poster
OK, it's 33 degrees and people are in direct sunlight for that time...

They should HAVE to have a cherry picker on site and checked that it works every day, it's a frigging joke!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They blates didn't have an evac plan sorted out.

Karen

Hyper Poster
It was on the news this morn. they tried to use a platform (the firebrigde) but it was sinking into the ground so they had to call the guys in with the ropes, thats one of the main reasons it took so long.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Karen said:
It was on the news this morn. they tried to use a platform (the firebrigde) but it was sinking into the ground so they had to call the guys in with the ropes, thats one of the main reasons it took so long.

Those claims sound like a load of crap to me. Ones with good weight displacement are available commonly - unless we're talking about a sudden appearance of quicksand. Ultimately, there's no excuse for the park for not having a better plan that works.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
Now this may sound silly, but could they not have just slowly pulled the train to the top?

It's dangerous to have a several ton vehicle, carrying live passengers, moving around unexpectedly.

The people doing it would be inside the ride area, so in terms of potential risk, it's pretty horrendous.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Whats wrong with using that method that they use on Turbo at Brighton, and even JO? Tie a slack rope to the back of the train, somehow get it tipped over the edge, cut the rope, let gravity take over...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The only thing I love more than The Sun is the fact that the f**ktards who read it are allowed to post comments:

blatantly a primary school teacher said:
The prices these places charge, they should surely have emergency measures in place for mechanical breakdowns? What if there had been a fire?

Oh, the old "what if there had been a fire" card. Love it.

Descendant of Shakespeare? said:
think if ive just been stuck 50 feet in the air for 8 hours and the ride broke down ide never get bk on it again becuase its ovously not safe so y the **** would anyone want a free yearly pass hahha

LOLZ GUD POInT hahhhhahhhaaa

Isaac Newton said:
why is it that they could get close enough to give them water but couldn't get them down at the same time?

Nope, you've got me there. Why couldn't they just let them out of the restraints if they'd already managed to haul entire bottles of water to the stranded guests?

Think of the Children! said:
shocking, the good thing about this story is that I know one person who was going to go with her familes and other families to this theme park for the day and they have now changed their minds thanks to this story.

What a lucky escape!

Left School in Year 8 to Have a Baby said:
Omg..imagine if that would have got stuck on an upside down roller coaster - would have been a much worse outcome!! :/

**** ing moron!

Ugh, how can people be so **** ing STUPID?!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
'blatantly a primary school teacher'

Nothing like bit of teacher bashing by another teacher! Is there like a secondary/primary rivalry?
Obviously I've not been paying enough attention!