What's new

Image Sizes - VERY IMPORTANT!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Right, I'm hard-core modding all new parks in here now.

While it certainly happens with the RCT2 and No Limits images sometimes, RCT3ers are the pits when it comes to resizing their screen shots.

Image size limit when posting a park is 800x600!

Larger images are bad for people on dial-up (there are still some), bad for people with slower internet connections, and they throw the format of the forums out. Post a 1600 wide image, and most people can't read the forums as they scroll off the right hand side of the screen.

Most people's answer? "Well, the browser automatically resizes the images - get a life Furie!!.

I say - "Don't be a lazy arse! If it's resized anyway, do it yourself first and save a whole bunch of bandwidth!"

From now, any posts with an image bigger than 800x600 WILL BE DELETED.

It's much quicker and easier for me to press the delete post button, than it is to edit every image tag.

So be warned!!!

Have a nice day :D

hartwickboi

Roller Poster
furie said:
Right, I'm hard-core modding all new parks in here now.

While it certainly happens with the RCT2 and No Limits images sometimes, RCT3ers are the pits when it comes to resizing their screen shots.

Image size limit when posting a park is 800x600!

Larger images are bad for people on dial-up (there are still some), bad for people with slower internet connections, and they throw the format of the forums out. Post a 1600 wide image, and most people can't read the forums as they scroll off the right hand side of the screen.

Most people's answer? "Well, the browser automatically resizes the images - get a life Furie!!.

I say - "Don't be a lazy arse! If it's resized anyway, do it yourself first and save a whole bunch of bandwidth!"

From now, any posts with an image bigger than 800x600 WILL BE DELETED.

It's much quicker and easier for me to press the delete post button, than it is to edit every image tag.

So be warned!!!

Have a nice day :D

I would just like to say, that the actual dimensions are not what should concern you as far as dial up users. I have seen so many within the specified dimension guidelines that take FOREVER to load on dial up (yes I have it as I live in a rural area). I've seen criticism for those who post larger size, but used an image type that requires less memory (was posted as a link, so no concern to bandwidth of this site). I would suggest you limit FILE SIZE! Many posted here ON SITE use much more then those dissed for image size (don't mind scrolling here and the viewer can resize the screen as well). The examples of this:

* link posted to pic 1024x768 100K (I use this resolution anyway, so it fit my screen) THIS IS OK!

* PNG image in post 640x480 400 K !!!! NOT ACCEPTABLE!! you see 4x the download time for smaller sized image!

Just my thoughts, but I feel to many mods just start off with the YELLING especially at new members/first time posters. I have seen it in too many forums around and am tired of it. I and many others have left sites because of this very thing (made to feel unwanted right off the bat! ATARI is a good one for that.....)

I understand rules are for a reason, but lighten up when it comes to criticism, especially new users. We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
The image dimensions are also for stretching of the page. It's very inconvenient on a forum as narrow as ours to stretch the page and just make it inconvenient when it comes to reading pages.

What might be easier to do is just along with our dimension limits, put a filesize limit as well. To be honest, 400k seems rather small to me, although I'm unfamiliar with what it would take to load on dial-up. Posting links on site is the best option, as most people would rather see the picture with the text then have to navigate to another page. That being said, I'm fine with adding a size regulation as long as it's something reasonable that doesn't destroy resolution so much. You're welcome to suggest something.

It's also not the best of ideas to suggest that we'll just yell at you right away. So long as the posting is not against the rules, there's no reason for us to do any yelling. It's not as if we're against criticism if it's not done in an attacking context. It's generally not a good idea to vocalize this kind of thing until you've seen how it's handled. It's rather off-putting for those answering your questions.

That being said, welcome to the site and thanks for the suggestion. You're welcome to add more to your initial observation if you'd like.