What's new

If there was only one type of coaster...

What would your choice be?

• Giga

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Strata

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyper

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Invert

• Standup

• Wingrider

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Wooden

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Launchers

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Dive Coasters

• Other

• Total voters

bentcookie

Mega Poster
If there was only one type of roller coaster that could be built at amusement parks, what type would you want it to be, and why?

For me it would be the Hypercoaster. It delivers enough speed to be thrilling, offers plenty of airtime, and they look damn sexy on any park's skyline. To me, they never get boring. I could ride coasters like Diamonback and Magnum XL-200 all day.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
To difficult a question :). It would need to be a type that delivers well on lots of good coaster features. It may sound a bit crazy, but i would have to go with a wooden coaster. This is only because they can feature laterals, airtime, relentless speed, intensity and if it is a good one, a relatively smooth-ish ride. However, i would still want it to feel like a woodie.

Hypers and inverts are my favourites, but they tend to be more restricted in what they offer (Inverts have intensity, Hypers have airtime).

EDIT: Actually i take it all back, i will vote for stand ups :)

Smithy

Strata Poster
B&M multi-looper.

Offers the most versatility in terms of layout, inversions etc... Hypers are good but it'd be very difficult to distinguish between them bar their location and size.

Casio

Mega Poster
I'd say wood. The problem's not the variation, it's how good the variation is. With inverts you have the amazing B&Ms, but then bizarre Intamins and terrible Vekomas. With hypers you have strong versions from Intamin, B&M and Arrow and interesting stuff from Morgan and Togo. With woodies I think there's even more variation; yes it's all based around airtime, but there are numerous companies who can build them very well in many different styles.

nealbie

CF Legend
Mack Megacoaster.

Launches, drops, ejector air, floater air, inversions and comfortable seating. It really has it all! If EVERYTHING had to be one coaster type it'd be this. It's not the out and out best, but it's VERY good at everything.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Wood.

It is iconic, it is traditional, and it is something that certain parks already only build with.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I vote woodies. There are so many different types of wooden coasters you can have at one park, like, GCIs, Intamin Pre Fabs, and RMC loopers. I think woodies would be me more of a variety than something like Hypers or Inverts.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Very tough question to answer, because let's face it, a world with only one ride type would suck. I think it's highly dependent on how broad the categories are. Do inverted coasters include impulses and GIBs along with the usual SLCs and B&Ms? Does launcher include simple top hats (stealth, TTD) along with rides like Maverick and even the Premier bowls?

If wooden includes RMC topper track, then I'd probably choose that, because then wooden could provide old-school thrills from GG and GCI as well as modern inversions and crazier rides from RMC.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Let us not forget though, "Favorite Wooden Coaster" placed first in the Mitch Hawker steel coaster polls this year, beating all other ride types.

BBH

Giga Poster
Wood coasters offer much more variety than any others. You can have sick laterals and insane ejector airtime, and you can go for a classic rough-and-tumble ride or a steel smooth track with inversions and horizontal. Freaking. Airtime.

That said, I picked standups.