What's new

How old where you when you had "the talk"?

How old where you when you had "the talk"?

• Under 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6

• 7-9

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 10-12

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • 13-15

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 16-19

• 20+

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

kimahri

CF Legend
Birds and the Bees? By my parents, never. Got told it at school when we were 10-11. Promptly giggled at it and went on with life 10 minutes later.

Why is it such a big thing?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
kimahri said:
Birds and the Bees? By my parents, never. Got told it at school when we were 10-11. Promptly giggled at it and went on with life 10 minutes later.

Same.

kimahri said:
Why is it such a big thing?

Eugh. It was the most awkward thing for my parents ever. Something never ever discussed or alluded to, just a great source of embarrassment . I think it's a Christian thing maybe. It took me years to tell them I knew, then they handed my a book that they'd bought for me for when that day came.

It was this nasty piece of Christian propaganda. All "you may some times have thoughts about touching yourself. This IS A SIN and God is watching you while you do it, and your Grandmother who died last week, and your pet hamster Mr Fluffy" and "some people think about having sexual relations with other people the same sex as them they are ALL GOING TO BURN FOREVER IN THE FIERY PITS OF HELL, DAMNED FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So don't do it please".

Yeah, thanks Mum and Dad...

So I've always been open with both my kids. I've never gone into graphic detail, but I've always talked frankly about sex and made it as comfortable a subject as possible for them.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Never had the talk. I went through puberty in the early 1990's, three decades after sex was no longer a taboo subject. It was part of everyday life from topless women in newspapers to the mucky videos mixed in with the regular videos in the dining room cabinet.

There are people at work who have young teenage children and they often say they catch them looking at sexy girls or hunky men online. They tell them that it's perfectly fine and they should always use condoms. The standard parental advice.

I very much doubt that any parent from a cilivilsed society explains sex in a formal manner to thier kids nowadays. Children nowadays are so much more worldly wise with the internet and the relaxed attitude towards sex, there's just no need. I think was perfectly parodied in the American Pie film when Jim's Dad explains sex to Jim.

peep

CF Legend
I never had the talk. I don't think I even had someone at school talk to us about it. I sort of gradually learnt about it through the medium of entertainment and asking random questions. We were all watching South Park when we were like 8 or 9, thinking 'wtf does this mean?' and then gradually learning stuff by asking amongst friends etc.

mispurfekt

Mega Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
Then she found out I was asexual.

And yet, in another topic you posted that you are gay? Please make up your mind about what you tell people you are. :roll:

mispurfekt

Mega Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
^T'was talking about AquaTrax in that topic.

Please, clarify. This is one out of a couple topics where you have made completely no sense, what so ever. It is almost as if you are just spouting out random thoughts to get yourself noticed.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
I actually got that joke. Have you guys not noticed that in the USA everybody thinks they're sexy but they aren't?

Also, I was actually born in Moscow and grew up in Helsinki. I didn't move to America until November 2003. I then lived in Corpus Christi, Texas then in 2009 I moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.

So I currently live in America, but am 100% European.

mispurfekt

Mega Poster
AquaTrax said:
I actually got that joke. Have you guys not noticed that in the USA everybody thinks they're sexy but they aren't?

Also, I was actually born in Moscow and grew up in Helsinki. I didn't move to America until November 2003. I then lived in Corpus Christi, Texas then in 2009 I moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Then run home Forrest.

Edward M

Strata Poster
mispurfekt said:
AquaTrax said:

Then run home Forrest.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while