Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ah, but the way I say it is like, do you need it. Like, I rarely look at what the amount on the bill is, and people tend to shove money on the top, so technically I don't actually know if they even need change or not. But yeah, it's totally still saying can I keep this as a tip ;]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Asking if you want change is an American thing and there I know it's normal and don't see it as rude... But in the UK? **** I'd complain if someone asked me that. It's SO rude.

Stop it Jordan.

nadroJ

CF Legend
But if I stop it then firstly I lose time by having to go and sort out change only to bring it back to be told to keep it! Like I said, I do it in a nice way and in two years I've never had a complaint. When someone complains I'll stop, but until then, I'll keep making £300+ a week at my part-time job thanks ;]

^ Haha, I have a few little methods I use that work just as well as asking directly :p Such as giving their change back using coins and not bills, take your time so they get annoyed and tell you to keep it, etc. Obviously it's a different atmosphere than you work in, Jordan, but we carry the change around in our aprons. Do you guys have to go to a register to do the transaction?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Common sense to leave change, isn't it? My dad cannot ever believe how thick some waiting staff are when they bring back a £5 note.

I'd complain if I was asked if I want my change. It's effectively conning people out of money. Granted they could say yes, but then the customer is made to feel awkward, since they know you only asked because you thought they'd say no, so people won't. It's rude, and unfairly making money from other people. You get paid to do a job, if they want to leave you extra they will.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If I was planning on giving a waitress a tip, and we came to settle the bill and she asked me if I wanted the change back, she wouldn't get a penny off me. I know you say it works Jordan, but I think that's just rude, regardless of how much time it allegedly saves you. I don't know how you system works, but surely it can't take more than a minute or two to go the register and get the change? It's not like you're having to really do anything difficult. I agree with Joey, maybe it's the done thing at your workplace, but I think it's pretty **** rude to be perfectly honest and you wouldn't have a tip off me.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I'd say 'Yes!' if you asked me cause that cheeky bitch ain't getting my change.

Just because people don't complain doesn't mean they don't think you're a dog.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Joey said:
Common sense to leave change, isn't it? My dad cannot ever believe how thick some waiting staff are when they bring back a £5 note.

I'd complain if I was asked if I want my change. It's effectively conning people out of money. Granted they could say yes, but then the customer is made to feel awkward, since they know you only asked because you thought they'd say no, so people won't. It's rude, and unfairly making money from other people. You get paid to do a job, if they want to leave you extra they will.

Ah, if the change is more than a fiver I always make sure I put it down in pound coins. I only ask because MOST people's bill will come to like.....£27 or something, they'll put down £30, and MOST people will tell me to keep the change. Like I said, it's not like I just go 'so, do you want your change, or can I have it?' That would be rude. I suppose you'd have to see the way I do it if that makes sense?

Also, we do carry change around in our aprons, but we have to provide our own change and stuff, and sometimes when the first customer I'm taking a payment from needs change, I don't have it yet because I haven't had that many cash payments. So that would mean going into the office, going to the safe, getting a float, counting and checking the float, putting the correct change down and going back over to the table. When you look at it like that it does actually take up a fair bit of my time. And when I'm really busy (it gets SO busy) five minutes is a lot of time to use up only for someone to turn around and say no you can keep it. All part of the strategy I guess.

But yeah, like I said, most people say they don't want their change and I've never had a complaint in two years, so it can't be all bad =]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Every time I read the title of this, the question "How much do you tip?" I keep thinking of either drinking too much or ferries with their doors open...

^^ Yeah I see what you mean. I still would never do it, but that's at my work where I start out with loads of change at the start of my shift, because we're given half the float in loonies (one dollar coins, haha). If I were a mean person, it would be SO easy to rip people off because we get so many noob Americans who don't know the value of our money, but I have a heart :p .

I do hear a few of the girls asking people if they want change but I feel like the customer would feel obligated or awkward after that! Plus it usually only takes me like, maximum twenty seconds to find the proper change for them.

EDIT- You could also instead say "alright, I'll be right back with your change!" and make it heard so they have the chance to say "no, don't bother!" :p It makes it less obvious <3

Tomatron

Giga Poster
The meal and the service has to be good obvs, but usually I tip about 10% of the bill. If the staff go out of their way to make the meal extra special, then I'll stick a bit more in.

If I'm in a bar and want to get served quicker, I'll tip the bar staff on the first go, so next time they see you they remember you tipped them, and you get a bit of preferential treatment.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I usually tip a solid 15-20% Can be less if I got crappy service. Depends on the place I guess but if it is somewhere where it's more customary to tip, no doubt I will.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I usually tip 20% unless the service is great, then I'll tip more.
I bar tended for years to pay for Uni & know how important tips are.
So yeah, I'm the guy Jordan likes to serve. :wink:

^ This. When people actually work a job that makes them realize the importance of tips, I find they have a tendency to tip more or better. Seeing people accept their change </3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I might start hinting at my "customers" at work for tips.

Then again, it could be seen as a bribe, so maybe not the best idea.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I like to see this topic as a place where I can now brag about how many tips I make and make you all resent me even more for working a job where I get tips.

I made £100 today. Yay.

^ Jealous! I actually might be getting a job at a restaurant soon because my friend has connections. I'd be happy to have two jobs that include tips :p .

I had this guy last night who was loving me and was actually respectful about it haha, but he was brilliant, I actually kind of regret not getting his number </3 But he bought I think about 15-20 shots from me for me, him, and his friends, and was tipping like, 3-5 bucks per shot. I was like YES, but I actually sat with them and chatted because I wanted to, not because I wanted tips, so it was a win win :p . I made $60 in three hours, mostly just from him, so it wasn't too bad.

Ben

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
I like to see this topic as a place where I can now brag about how many tips I make and make you all resent me even more for working a job where I get tips.

I made £100 today. Yay.

Sweetie, you can brag and brag, you still work in TGIs.

Mike

Giga Poster
When I got asked if I would like my change on Morey's Piers (the first place I can think of it being asked), I got really nervous and uneasy thinking about what I should reply with, thinking I'd be viewed as a bad person if I ask for all the change back. :?

I think I ended up getting change rounded down to the nearest $, which then made me even more confused on how much money I should formally leave as a tip, and also wondering if that money from the change not taken was going to be a tip for the waiter or not. :?

I quickly learnt to demand all my change back if asked this question again, and the question itself highly annoys me!