What's new

How do you rate your coasters?

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
I rate coasters on the theming, the restraints, smoothness, legnth and force. So if a ride is very short, not forceful at all, really rough, the restraints hurt and is just a concrete floor underneath then I will hate it!

Darren B

Giga Poster
i think the best way to judge how good a ride is the reaction you have once youve got off, if you adrenaline is pumping and all you can say is "I wanna ride it again" then you know that its a heck of a ride.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Like a lot of people I rate my rides by thinking "What would I rather ride again?" or "Which ride would I rather marathon" or "How do I feel after the ride (ex: throwing up or fine)" or "Which one is more enjoyable during the ride?" etc. I have motion sickness and most coasters make me sick, so you will find a lot of "fun" coasters high up in my rankings (Millennium Force, GCI's, Gemini, etc.)

DropZone99

Mega Poster
For me it's pretty much
1. Did it have the elements I look for in a coaster?
2. Do I want to re-ride?
3. Is it good for it's type (example, Adventure Express.. Obviously not the best coaster but it's one of the best mine trains so I rate it 8/10.)

M_Force_4_ever

Roller Poster
I rank my using a variety of methods combined into one

First I judge the ride for the individual experience I had while riding it. Than I compare it to other rides I've been on to see what rating I give it (thinking on a 1-10 scale)

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Complicated.

Things like: how I feel on it (and does it make me go ARGH! in equal parts pain from forces and enjoyment), how I feel when I get off, will I ride it again, what lasting impression does it leave, how does it compare to what I have already riden and so on.

Nemesis is my highest rated ride because it is incredibly forcefull and makes me go ARGH and WOOOAH, gives a rush of blood to the head when I get off and leaves a huge mark on me.

Also, how much did it surprise me and match my expectations, and how does it 'feel'.

Most importantly, does it feel like it has a soul or does it feel like cold, hard, dead steel.

Colossus

Giga Poster
I rate my Coasters primarily on an individual basis regarding.....does it have the features i look for in a coaster?? how do i feel after getting off?? is it worth queuing for again?? etc etc... But some times i will compare same type rides to each other, Nemesis - N. Inferno for example, but that would be a straight comparison to each other, not against different rides.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't like rating rides. But when I do...

I don't like to have similar things clustering together. The weaker of said rides will often go below other rides which technically aren't as good.

When I ride new things I end up re-rating many rides because I feel like I've learnt something. Some rides get kicked down whilst others will go up. Some people really don't get this, but I think it really makes a lot of sense.

I usually rate things based on the best experience I have of them.

I will often consider non-ride aspects... Such as queue line, park, themeing, etc.

Finally, how genuinely fun a ride is is the most important aspect.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I'm terrible at rating rides. I'm never consistent and can't make up my mind. I don't really have a system for rating rides. I do factor in a couple of things, though:

Experience. A ride could be mediocre, but if I had an amazing time on it with friends or whatever, there's a good chance I'll rate it slightly higher. I don't judge coasters on how they would be with a trainful of strangers.

The ride itself. Obviously, I do keep in mind things like smoothness, forces, whether it killed me or made me uncomfortable, and how much of an adrenaline rush I got from it. If there's one part of an okay ride that's AMAZING, I'll definetly rate it at least slightly higher.

There's probably some other stuff that I forgot, but oh well. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
re-rideability is the biggest factor for me.

If you ride a roller coaster back-to-back 5 times in a row, does it lose thrill the fifth time compared to the first?

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
CMonster said:
Experience. A ride could be mediocre, but if I had an amazing time on it with friends or whatever, there's a good chance I'll rate it slightly higher. I don't judge coasters on how they would be with a trainful of strangers.

I disagree with this. It's not really fair to rate one good coaster that would normally be ranked around another good coaster higher because you had a fun ride with friends. I've had all kinds of awesome experiences with friends on SoCal's coasters, but when I go on trips I ride most coasters alone. It'd be biased if I rated SoCal's coasters higher than most because of this.

The ride will get bonus points it gives a great or unique experience itself, but who I ride with or what we do won't change my overall ranking.

CMonster

Giga Poster
CreditCrazy said:
CMonster said:

The ride will get bonus points it gives a great or unique experience itself, but who I ride with or what we do won't change my overall ranking.

That's kinda what I meant. I won't put BTMR in my top ten because I rode it with my little sister and she was laughing the whole time or whatever, but I give the ride a couple of extra points if I had a great time on it.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I rate them on whether I enjoyed them or not. Simple as. I'm not going to go into a big in-depth discussion with myself about whether one ride is better because it has an element that another ride hasn't. My general feeling of like/dislike sort of gives that away anyway really.

I have been nerdy enough in the past to keep a list of all the coasters i've ridden in order of how much I liked them (sadly i've lapsed on that front, due to having other things to do), but i'd never move a ride down said list if it was disappointing for its ride type, if it was still enjoyable, it'd still be up there on 'the list'.