What's new

How do magnetic brakes work?

Brookes

Giga Poster
I remember a post by UC a while ago where he said that it was a common misconception that magnetic brakes worked by the brakes being positively/negatively charged, and the train the other and then they attract and it slows the train down. This is how I thought they worked, so how do magnetic brakes actually work?

Snoo

The Legend
Well that clears up some of my misconceptions, but I had the basic properties down. Thank you Discovery Channel for doing that.. lol

A

Anonymous

I would really recommend people that are interested in how coasters work to read through the articles that are posted in the "Coaster Basic" section on www.coastersandmore.de . It's really a shame that they haven't been translated into English since they are written in such a way that they are easy to understand but still have all the info you will need to get how the things work, but Google translate (or other) usually gives a satisfactory (at least it's way better than translating from Japanese, etc.) result so that you will be able to read it.

I would also recommended the rest of the articles, especially those posted in the "Ride Insight" section, they have a lot of useful informations and feature a lot of great images...

Brookes

Giga Poster
Thanks for all the links guys they have been really helpful and now I think I understand how they work. I do understand quite a bit of German and had a little read of that article and understood some things in it, so thanks!

msep003

Roller Poster
Magnetic Brakes cost lots of money but theme parks should save on maintenance .

BTMRR and Ragng Spirit in TDL and TDS got the Magnetic Brakes .

A

Anonymous

^ Right... That really had not much to do with this topic...

^^ I'm glad that the article helped, as I said before, it's a shame that those articles aren't translated to English since they are really good...