What's new

Hotel for LegoLand Florida

nadroJ

CF Legend
A new hotel has been announced for LegoLand Florida.

WHY?!

Firstly, LegoLand is out in **** nowhere. I mean there is NOTHING around. No other hotels, no restaurants, shops, all that jazz. There's just a few really ghetto looking motels.

Secondly, there's simply not enough to do at LegoLand Florida to even warrant staying at the hotel. Sure, there's a waterpark, but the two are easily done in one day. Maybe two at a stretch if your kids really love Lego.

I simply do not understand this logic, surely EVERY family would look at this and go no, we'll stay further down the road where it's closer to everything and drive a bit further out for one day at LegoLand rather than the other way around?

I don't get it.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Given the cut-throat competition that's just up the highway in Orlando, this does indeed seem a bit daft.

So you'd like to think that they'd be able to arrange some tie-up with other attractions within a reasonable driving distance, seeing as the most suitable way to get there is driving, and gives you more reason to stay.

Lego is a pretty strong brand though, and Alton Towers could manage to get people to stay at their resort 16 years ago when they opened their hotel. The demographic for this is totally different, but when you're going up against Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, I-Drive, Kissimmee etc etc, you'd better have a good business plan.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
It will be interesting. People questioned the logic when they took over the old Cypress Gardens but they have been doing gangbusters from what I understand.

I could see this being a solid draw for the over night market (Miami, Jacksonville, etc...) who are looking to drive up, stay a night or two, and go to a park with the little ones. I know they currently offer a shuttle from one of the Premium Outlets to the park, so a shuttle from the Hotel to the Orlando outlets would seem feasible.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't understand it either?

I have a friend of a friend who works at the park and it doesn't seem the busiest at the moment from what he's been saying.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Kevin Matz

Roller Poster
I personally work at the park and I'm on the fence about the idea. I know it'll be awesome and all, but I'm not sure how much attention it'll bring to the park. Being that Winter Haven does have a few sketchy looking hotels, I think them owning the best one will certainly draw business.
From what I understand, it wont be a huge hotel or anything. Rather, along the lines of 150 room or so.

The park does get a good amount of guests so who knows. :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It definitely seems like Merlin are interested in getting into the Orlando attractions market, what with this and the I-Drive Live/I-Walk Orlando complex. They are also seem to like building hotels!