What's new

Heide Park

andrus

Giga Poster
I'm planning to visit Heide Park in Soltau this saturday and am wondering if all the rides are open although late in the season? Most importantley I'm wondering if Colossos is still running?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm guessing that because it's Halloween and a Saturday, everything should/will be open.

Merlin theme park websites are usually pretty good at displaying any ride closures. I can't see anything about Colossos being closed.

andrus

Giga Poster
No, neither can I. So I guess everything is fine then. :) I'm just used to that all parks are closed by this time in scandinavia, so I didn't know for sure that the rides were open (thought they maybe just had their halloween happening without the rides, didn't know for sure). But thanks for the help, appreciated!

I have one more question btw. Do anybody know if HP have fast track passes? I can't find any info on their web-site..

A

Anonymous

^ I haven't seen any fast passes or other, during my visits there...

And I'm pretty certain that all the rides will be open during the day, since they have Halloween opening.
The only thing I would be concerned is that Colossus could be closing earlier since it makes the most noise and is closes to the town that complains the most about it...

andrus

Giga Poster
Aha, I see. But it will at least be open until 6 pm as regular? :) And the other rides until 10 pm? Great news then!

A

Anonymous

^ Most likely yes, but you never know, Heide Park may have struck a deal with the locals that allows them to run it longer on certain days.

You will definitely know when you get there :)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
When we went in September almost everything was open. I think only Wildwasserbahn II was shut, and it was not a big deal since it was cold enough. Also some of the smaller flats may be closed.

Despite the lack of crowds all the coasters were open all day (including Colossos). I have to say that the park closed gates at 6pm, so I really don't know about Halloween.

Ben

CF Legend
I wanna say we actually did see something about Fast Passes, but, I'm not 100% sure? I want to say it let you ride Colossos, Blue Rita and Limit, but, I can't remember. I just remember going "ew... why's Limit on there?"

*shrug*

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Not that you REALLY need a Fast Pass. When we were there, the longest wait was for Bad Rita, and that was because it was on an awful crew and running one train (not that it needed 2 though).

A

Anonymous

I was just browsing through the Heide Park webpage and I saw that they have posted a list of the attractions that were going to be open during the evening:

Heide Park said:
* Nostalgiekarussel
* Heide-Park Express
* Oldtimer Rundkurs
* Bounty
* Monza Piste
* Grachtenfahrt
* Panorama Bahn
* Big Loop
* Scream
* Screamie
* Wildwasserbahn 2
* Schweizer Bobbahn
* Limit
* Mississippi
* Maya-Tal
* Colossos
* Grottenblitz
* Kanalfahrt
* Märchenfahrt
* Panorama Turm
* Lucky Land
* Dampfkarrussel
* Roter Baron
* Wildwasserbahn 1
* Koggenfahrt
* Wichtelhausenbahn
So basically everything :)

Can't find anything about fast passes on their web page (the German one).

andrus

Giga Poster
Haha! "Bad Rita" and "Blue Rita"? :p I who thought Desert Race was better than Rita! The exact same layout but with an added airtime hill at the end? That sounds better to me ^^

So you guys don't think fast track is needed? I just wanna avoid standing in line 3 hours like I did for Furius Baco this summer :shock: bought fast track passes both when I visited Alton and Thorpe and that is by far the best thing I've done in my whole life! But you say Heide Park ain't that crowded? And it is late in the autumn.. But on the other hand it's both halloween and the last weekend the park is open this season..

Strange btw that Scream wasn't included in the fast track. To me Colossos and Scream are the two big reasons to visit the park! Have never been on a gyro drop before, looks cool! cool) Does it drop faster hence it weights more? Or the only difference is that it spins?

Once again, thanks! :wink:

andrus

Giga Poster
loefet said:
So basically everything :)

Can't find anything about fast passes on their web page (the German one).
Thanks for the research loefet! I couldn't find anything about the fast track passes either. But I know I've read somewhere about them, and cuz some people here claim that they have used them I guess that they do exist! :lol:

Gazza

Giga Poster
Does it drop faster hence it weights more?
No, all objects accelerate towards earth at 9.8ms^-2, negating air resistance. (Though for most drop tower cars would have very little air resistance)

An object being heavy doesn't make it fall faster.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
You shouldn't have any problem with Scream and Colossos, they are both big capacity rides. I mean, I think Scream holds about 40 passengers and one train on Colossos holds 30. By far, the best operations we saw consistenly were at the Schweizer Bobbhan since it was the only ride running 3 or 4 trains (the layout needs it though - it's really long!).

And about B(ad/lue) Rita; it's bad because it's plonked in the middle of nowhere with little to no atmosphere. It's the sorroundings what make Rita so good.

PS: I can believe your experience on Baco. From what I have been told, this year PA operations are beyond bad with extremely long waits for everything.

andrus

Giga Poster
Gazza said:
Does it drop faster hence it weights more?
No, all objects accelerate towards earth at 9.8ms^-2, negating air resistance. (Though for most drop tower cars would have very little air resistance)

An object being heavy doesn't make it fall faster.
Yea I know that, I study structural engineering :wink: but 9.8ms^-2 is only a theoretical value. As you wrote yourself there is partly air resistance prohibiting this from happening, and partly the friction within the ride mechanics..

I don't know exactly how an Intamin drop tower works mechanically, but I guess the ride "car" is suspended in wires and held into place with magnets? Anyway, the friction has to be a lot lower in comparison to the total weigt of the car at a gyro drop than at a traditional drop tower. The same goes for air resistance, smaller area in comaprison to weight.

None of these rides accelerate at 9.8ms^-2 but according to my simple presumptions a gyro drop should be closer to this theoretical value than a standard drop tower. The question is if it's a big difference or if the increased speed/acceleration are hardly noticeable?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Unfortunately didn't get to ride Scream when we were at Heide since it was closed for most of the day adn we were way over at the other side of the park when it finally openend, but the 2 other Gyro Drops I've ridden definitely feel like the drop is "stronger," for want of a better word, than a regular drop tower.

As for the spinning you mentioned earlier. They don't spin exactly. It more of a slow rotation as they go up, similar to an observation tower really. The cars stop rotating before they drop.

A

Anonymous

^ I agree with you, the gyro-drops gives a better drop sensations then the other types of drop-towers (apart from Tower Hacker :) ), even though they probably have more air resistanse then a standard car.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah Scream is awesome! Kinda like a 300ft Detonator.

A different feeling to Hurakan Condour and Apocalypse, probably less intense so more enjoyable.