What's new

Have you ever been too scared to ride a coaster?

Have you ever chickened out riding a coaster?

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There are goons out there (myself included) who avoid particular types of rides because we don't like them. For example, Nic avoids doing ghost trains/scare mazes, I avoid anything that spins too fast and one or two others pass on Star Flyers due to their height. I'm sure the majority of us have chickened out riding a ride of some variety when we were young/before we became enthusiasts.

Since you became an enthusiast, have you ever chickened out of riding a roller coaster? Was it too high? Too fast? Too imposing? If you have, what coaster was it and why were you too scared to ride it?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I chickened out on the Black Hole once when I was young, but since becoming an enthusiast no, none. I was terrified whilst waiting for Dragster to launch though, like, actually thought I was going to faint.
I may think twice about another Zacspin mind...

I won't ride Star Flyers, I have no intention of ever getting on one.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Not because I was too scared but I declined that water thing at Hershey because of how DOWSED you get <//3

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I wouldn't do another Booster. I have rode three or four and don't enjoy them.

When I was younger I used to chicken out on Inverts, they are now my favourite type of coaster.
Since becoming an enthusiast, I won't be chickening out of any coasters!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I've chickened out of a few kiddy creds when I've been on my own - not wanted to get thought of as a pedo and all that.....

Anything above a tivoli medium is game though!

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I won't do drop towers they are one of the things I can't stomach. As well I never used to like going vertical on rides such as: Rage and Saw I would only go on them once. I now go on these types of rides more because I now find going up one is a great thrill. I love being scared of Stealths launch everytime I go into the park it's my most anticipated ride of the day after Swarm the launch just gets my heart pounding. My first time on Swarm the first inversion scared the poo out of me now that is the inversion I love seeing when at Thorpe Park.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Nothing, really.
I love drop towers, Sky Coasters, Boosters.....things that spin fast, flip a lot, go high...whatever. Anyone who has been to a park with me would know I can pretty much power ride anything, all day <3 :D
(Pretty sure Joey can back me up on this... haha)

Even things I don't like, I'll still ride rather than sit out and wait for others to ride (IE: people getting awful Boomerang or SLC or Volare credits I already have)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'll try anything once. Anything. Especially if you get a cred for it after ;)

At the end of the day, no matter how unsteady, broken, old it looks, loads of people are riding it, and it would have had to go through many safety checks for the general public to ride so nothing really is likely to happen, yes accidents do happen, but you could use that as an excuse to never walk down the stairs.

I'd never chicken out of a kiddy cred because it looks odd. At the end of the day, that might be the case, but why should I care? I'm not going to get arrested for riding a kiddy coaster and I'll never see any of the people that look on me with disdain again.

I don't really get put off by spinny rides, I tend to have a strong stomach for that sort of thing and only feel queasy after too many, only two things have made me queasy. The coaster simulator at Disney Quest and the Air Race on Brighton Pier, and I won't say I won't ride them again.

I'm with ATTACKHAMMER on the Booster front, I was stuck up one with MouseAT for half an hour at Pleasure Island and it was awful for both of us. This hasn't 'scared' me off, I just really dislike them, the feeling they give, and yeah, ugh, no thanks.

I'm not a fan of being screamed at in a horror maze/ghost train etc. but I can see the appeal and, if they are done right, like the Krueger Hotel at Tibidabo and not like Saw Alive at Thorpe Park, then they are amazing.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Solely with coasters, I used to refuse to ride anything including having a little crying fit the first time I visited Alton and my younger cousins all went on Corkscrew and I didn't/wouldn't/couldn't. So they now find my 'enthusiasm' strange.

Think since getting over that the only real ride that I've not ridden through being intimidated by it is Oblivion.

Don't touch drop towers for the most part though. Shat out on Condor twice, Apocalypse a few times. Don't mind shot towers but drop, nah not for me. I don't really touch flat rides in general tbh.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Before my enthusiast times I chickened out for pretty much anything. Interesting to see that the same goes for a lot of enthusiasts.

Nowadays I ride all coasters. I used to chicken out for drop towers and star flyers due to fear of height, but I've gotten over them. There is just something I love about conquering my fears. I used to be scared of traveling alone as well, but now I've traveled to Sweden and England alone.

I ride pretty much any flat ride and love most of them. I could sit on spinny things all day <3

I don't do stuff like Sky Coasters though. They just don't look like the type of ride that I enjoy, they scare the **** out of me as well, and usually you have to pay quite a bit extra for them.

I wouldn't ride anything launched until I was about thirteen. I chickened out on a lot of coasters prior to my teenage years! I hate Star Flyers now though. It'd take a lot to get me on the bigger ones.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
when it comes to flats - I have to be in the right mood for them - still a bit miffed that i was a bit out of sorts on the Finland live when I missed kieppi

TilenB

Strata Poster
Directly answering the question in topic's title, I should say no, since the last time I chickened out on a coaster was way before I even remotely became an enthusiast (Blue Tornado when I was 11).
I did chicken out on a scare maze that used to exist in Gardaland (the thing was quite short lived, it was removed after only 2 seasons), but I then managed to conquer it later in the day.
Since then, there has been practically nothing that would particularly scare me (at least not to such extent of me not riding it). Although I have to admit I get slightly nervous when on top of a high body waterslide and I would still probably skip a Flat ride with a **** up and long program (like Extasy in Prater) or a wet water ride on a cold day...

Rachel

Coaster MILF
When I was a kid I used to be too scared to ride anything. There was a time when I was at Thorpe Park with my Dad and brother where I got to the top of Depth Charge and then told them that I had "Lost my confidence". I was about 8 years old and they still mock me about that to this day.

These days though i'll ride pretty much anything unless it spins too much. Not because they scare me but because I don't enjoy rides like that and they give me a headache or make me feel sick.

Ben

CF Legend
I don't wimp out of any coaster (they're all creds!) but you'd have to force me on another Looping Toboggan!

I don't really like flats that spin too much just because I get sick. I'll try them most of them once but if they're vile it'll just be that once.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Dunno if it counts but I chickened out of Furius Baco last time I went to PA. Had ridden it twice in previous visits and decided that this time I wanted to keep my spine intact.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
All the time! I'm one of the wimpiest / fussiest coaster enthusiasts ever!

Most of my chickening-out is based on trying the ride type and finding it too nerve-jangling to enjoy.

My fave things to not ride are Intamin launch coasters (too painful), large drop towers (too intimidating), Star Flyers (feels like they're going to disintegrate mid-air) and now Skyloops after I got stuck on the one in Madrid.

I have to really psych myself up to ride Dive Machines, so sometimes I pass on riding those too. Especially the ones where they're just the drop and little else :/