What's new

Green Lantern - Intamin ZacSpin for SFMM

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
Yeah I really don't get the point of this installation either. I am however, glad to see one of these in the states. They are very fun, and wacky.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Ben said:
This is still the single most pointless and stupid thing I think Magic Mountain have done in a LONG time.

Why do you care? It's not like you're going to get to ride it, at least not for possibly a while :p

I totally see the point. It's wacky, strange, unique, and an attraction.

Ben

CF Legend
^Um, excuse me, I've been on a **** more coasters than you in a **** load more places (including, gasp, SFMM), so don't give me that I won't ride it, because, yeah, I will, actually.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'd want to ride it TRIM less just once in my lifetime.. Just to see...
The point of the trims is to 'encourage' it to flip though.

This is still the single most pointless and stupid thing I think Magic Mountain have done in a LONG time.
To be honest, I can see where you are coming from since they have X2 and all,
except the enthusiast in me doesn't care because SFMM is the easiest place for me to get to to ride this thing. Heading there in August :lol:

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Never thought of the trims in that way. Fascinating...

Ben said:
^Um, excuse me, I've been on a **** more coasters than you in a **** load more places (including, gasp, SFMM), so don't give me that I won't ride it, because, yeah, I will, actually.

00cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Seems like you would also want one more cred, so quicherbichin.... :p

Gazza

Giga Poster
^Never thought of the trims in that way. Fascinating...
Well of course....The automatic enthusiast response is "Trims = bad" :roll:

You don't stop to consider that a lot of these compact coasters like Zac Spins and El Locos actually need them so the ride can safely operate and do these crazy manoeuvres in such a small space. That's the trade off.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Trims are brakes that are designed to (as the name suggests) trim the speed of the coaster trains if it's over-speeding. They can't actually top the train, only cut a few MPH off the train so that the forces stay very controlled. You can see a great example of a trim brake on Silver Star: http://www.rcdb.com/1414.htm?p=12867 . B&M use the trim brakes to make sure that the trains enter the hill with the same speed every time, thus achieving the perfect floater over the top of the hill.

Trims are pretty much always there to slow the trains down (with the exception being these ZacSpins that might also use them to kick the seats into a spin), so are generally disliked by enthusiasts.

It's only a short response and there is TONNES of other stuff about them, but that's the simple answer. Does that answer your question?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Trims=bane of enthusiast's lives

That is essentially what Hixee said in short lol, but yeah he has actual definition.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Pretty much what Hix said. All they do is ensure the train is travelling at a set speed, so as to prevent higher than intended forces, in short.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's opening on 1st July. Was supposed to open on the 18th June but alterations to the loading platform have pushed it back a bit.

Snoo

The Legend
Two weeks for a loading platform? Unless they had to scrap it all and redo the whole shabang.. it might be something more.

If not.. well.. there ya go.

Xpress

Strata Poster
July 1st. Hmm. Great, on a 4th of july weekend. Middle of summer.

Hell. ****. No. Rather wait til september.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It doesn't look like it spins very much. Can any of the Europeans who have been on Insane confirm or no?

D1993

Hyper Poster
^ i have seen a few videos of it not spinning very much, but i have also seen a POV on youtube where it spinds like mad. I would definetly say its exactly the same as insane its all just about the weight distribution and heaviness etc.

Gazza

Giga Poster
To cut a long story short, I was able to return to SFMM for my 3rd non consecutive visit.... Albeit for only 2 hours, long enough to get a ride on GL (with an hour long wait) and finally get onto Ninja after multiple attempts. I didn't have time for Superman, but no loss since Ive been on TOT at Dreamworld in reverse.

Anyway, it was friggen intense and rather awesome.
I got lucky... It was only me on my side and 2 full grown blokes on the other.... Straight out of the station it turned me skywards...Off the lift it starts wobbling a bit and you see the track dropping away. Over the edge and you suddenly go weightless and then immediatley go back to strong positives. Basically, from that point on it went stupid and just rocked and spun like crazy, and you'd get full on slams of g force... I got 4 or so flips on my run since it did extra ones on the MCBR. It all just happens so quick so you get disoriented pretty quickly, doing positive g force moments at the bottom of the drops headfirst doesn't help either :p
I'd say the ride is the right length... Any more would be hard to tolerate.
The last turn has a bit of bite... Whilst queing I saw a mobile phone get flung cleanly from the ride, landing several meters away.
Coming back into the station is a bit of a laugh, when the car had come to a stop it naturally wants to stop with me facing up. But when that hydraulic bar comes down to straighten the car it was only catching one of the wheels on the a frame thing mounted on the axis of rotation, so all it was doing was forcing us to invert... The ride computer was obviously detecting it was doing it wrong, so it would stop, then try to do exactly the same thing again. After about 3 attempts it was sucessful and we could get off.

Anyway, I thought it was great, more parks should pop these in as alternatives to flat rides.... Much more thrilling.