What's new

"Green Lantern" B&M Stand Up for SFGAdv

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yes the rumor is true. I was informed today that I will need to go to SFGAdv this week if I want to ride GASM one more time as dismantling will begin on July 1st.
-1 cred for Gavin, Bred & Hixee. :(

CMonster

Giga Poster
It's kinda sad to know I'll NEVER be able to ride GASM. Even if it was terrible. Oh well, out with the bad, in with the good.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
As bad as everyone's opinion of GASM is, it was actually my #1 for 5 years. :lol:
I thought it was amazing when it opened & it was top of my list until they built Batman, which blew it away (of course). I've ridden it 207 times & it was my most ridden coaster until they built El Toro.

RCF

Strata Poster
It wasn't absolutely HORRIBLE, it was just a typical Arrow. Classic ride. Will be missed

A

Anonymous

East Coast(er) General said:
Yes the rumor is true. I was informed today that I will need to go to SFGAdv this week if I want to ride GASM one more time as dismantling will begin on July 1st.
-1 cred for Gavin, Bred & Hixee. :(

GASM is also known in the form of Shockwave that used to be at Six Flags Great America before it's dismantling.

Also, does anyone find it possible that Chang could be constructed at BOTH SFGAm and SFGAdv? I mean it's the same with Batman: The Ride and TDK. So is that not possible? It seems that no one thinks it is or hasn't thought of it yet. Anything is possible right now.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ wtf...

There aren't two Changs, there's only one.

I'm pretty sure manufacturing a brand new Chang for a park already with a B&M stand up is...stupid.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
the day

is the last day its open july 1 or the day before i plan to be o the last train going :cry: i don't want it to go and does any one know if its going to be scraped or put in to storage like BatMan and Robin The Chiller

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Quick chime in here: Why would they close one of the biggest rides in the park less than a week before one of the biggest attendance weekends in the year?

Sounds like a bonehead move, IMO.

Wow, Great Adventure officially has one of the best park line ups pretty much ever. I love the park, and Chang will be a fantastic addition, even though I agree that it was a stupid move to shut down Scream Machine before the busy weekend.

As for GASM itself, I didn't think it was that brutal. Sure, a bit of headbanging here and there, but it was intense, you can't deny it!

Snoo

The Legend
rollermonkey said:
Quick chime in here: Why would they close one of the biggest rides in the park less than a week before one of the biggest attendance weekends in the year?

Sounds like a bonehead move, IMO.

Agreed. If they load up the station they can get a good throughput too..

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
reason

it had become impossible to buy spare parts for the old Arrow coaster anymore

that's what i call $h#t that was the reason apparently for shouting the ride down from scream scape. Also didn't they use the same excuse for when the original X would shut down for while?? CONSPIRACY ?? NO just kidding with WITH conspiracy part.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ It's a valid reason. Alot of Arrow rides are dissapearing..and X(2) has S&S Power supplying parks.

But old school loopers like GASM don't draw the crowds anymore and get more and mroe expensive to maintain. It's sad but true.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was under the impression that Vekoma could supply parts for Arrow loopers/corkscrews?

Anyway, sad to say that GASM was one that I was really looking forward to to be honest. Not that I think it would be up to much, but I've always liked the look of it for some reason. Ah well...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ Well that is probably true, but with the slowly declining number of oldschool arrows, the demand for these parts is decreasing, meaning the cost to get these parts is increasing.

Then you have to think the interest for this coaster is decreasing as better stuff is being built now, it just doesn't make sense to keep it when you have a bad-ass B&M waiting to get built somewhere.

Xpress

Strata Poster
So where is GASM going to go now? To one of the local storage facilities, never to see the light of day again?