What's new

Greatest Albums Of All Time

Dave

CF Legend
^ I don't really get dubstep, as it sounds like a CD skipping in the 90s at times, and only good in tiny doses! Even Muse have dipped their fingers in it and alienated a lot of their fanbase.
Most of my favourite albums have been part of me growing up and exploring different musical tastes, hard to pick a single favourite, so have to make a list I think...

- Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles
- Devin Townsend Presents Ziltoid the Omniscient!
- From Mars to Sirius- Gojira
- Absolution- Muse
- Animals- Pink Floyd
- The Wall- Pink Floyd
- Dark Side the Moon- Pink Floyd
- Tommy- The Who

There are a few odd choices, Gojira have great albums which are each brilliant, From Mars To Sirius was their 'breakthrough' album, it was the first one I picked up on and never looked back. Heavy songs such as From The Sky and Backbone to progressive Flying Whales it's great stuff from the French band.
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIVJ7aLHTE[/youtube]

I LOVE Tommy, it's a great album and with household songs such as Pinball Wizard in the album it's easy to listen to, bold in it's creation and depth. Think I listen to the album after learning it burnt down my local pier while they filmed the movie version!

Intricks

Strata Poster
The thing about dubstep is that it tries too hard to seperate itself from where it trully belongs, within the DnB aspect of Electronic Music. It does this by creating a jarring flow that is really hard to pick up on unless you trully focus on everything, not just the bass and inevitable bass drops. Unlike DnB where the beat is presented to you in an almost straight up Techno fashion (uhn, tis), they get rid of the Tis and add in random trills and less heavy offbeats.

Since they have gotten rid of half the "metronome" in their music, they can readily play with the tempo more, which gives you an offbeat (or as nardoJ put it, that one d-bag not clapping in tempo) sound that you can't pace yourself too (if you want to dance to it or bob your head). It is kind of like a homage to Classical music, in which to make the story that the piece takes you on sound truer, you have to push and pull the tempo at the proper moments to give it an elegance not readily found elsewhere in todays music.

People dance to this. Searching on Youtube has proven that they have made a varient of The Robot and mixing it with popping from hip-hop. Since dubstep has a lack of instrumental bits added in, you are left with a more machine made sound, which gives it a running joke of "Two robots ****". So any flowing movement you can grab at to base your dance off of is little to nil. Adding the push-and-pull effects with the bass (the metronome) forces you to constantly adapt and change your set rythym, and when you finally add in the Start/Stop spots that effectively change the pace of the song completely, you basically have too much work to do when you originally went out to have fun with your friends at thw club. A comparisson would be waitressing on a busy day (using this since I believe nardoJ is a waitress based off her posts in the vent thread). You find a rythym that you get yourself into. Adding in another job (pulling in another table or having to do something else) mixes up the rythym and you either have to adapt or crash, change up the rythym you put yourself into to get everything done and make the customer happy with your service. Very loose comparisson, but I believe it works well.

If you know where to look, you can sing to dubstep. Granted it is either a pop song with a dubstep influence (Hold it Against Me - Britney Spears and Ladi Dadi - Steve Aoki feat. Wyntyr......something), or it is just a dubstep remix of a current fan fave (Whip my Hair - Willow Smith (Crizzly Remix)). Not true dubstep songs, but has just enough in it to get away with it.

For me, the greatest albums of all time are:

Hold Your Color - Pendulum
Overworld - Machinae Suprrmacy

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Brought Opus Eponymous by Ghost, It's now one of my favourite albums
ghost.jpg

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Here's one more that just came up on my iTunes. I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't think to list it in my first post in this topic... it's only one of the greatest hard rock albums ever!

60010631.jpg

jokerman

Giga Poster
This is incredibly hard. I agree with furie that you really should have two lists, but I can't be bothered so I'll just list some of my favourites, based on albums that I enjoy listening to all the way through, repeatedly:

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace
Newton Faulkner - Handbuilt by Robots

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
jokerman said:
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Butbutbut...
Led Zeppelin III!!!!

Immigrant Song, Friends, Gallows Pole, Tangerine and That's the Way (go on and Bron-Y-Aur stomp). Some of the best folk rock ever on a single album.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
Pearl Jam - Ten
Blur - Parklife
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
The Undertones - The Undertones
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zeppelin - Four Symbols
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Countless others...

STC

Mega Poster
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips.
Super æ by Boredoms (AKA V∞redoms)
Kid A by Radiohead
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
The Man-Machine by Kraftwerk
Untrue by Burial
The Beatles (White Album) by The Beatles
The Richard D. James Album by Aphex Twin
Abbey Road by The Beatles
Music Has The Right To Children by Boards of Canada
Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland by Shpongle
Homogenic by Björk
Confield by Autechre
Graceland by Paul Simon
3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul
The xx by The xx
Fever Ray by Fever Ray
Glass Swords by Rustie
Our Future, Your Clutter by The Fall
The Idiots Are Winning by James Holden (apt if Muse are in front - kidding )
Kala by M.I.A.
Dispepsi by Negativland
Flower With No Color by Yoshimi & Yuka
Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan