What's new

Golden Ticket Awards 2016: Fury 325 On Top (Awards Page 2)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2016: Fury 325 On Top (Awards Page

Six B&M hypers/gigas (some that get relatively mediocre reviews) in the top 10, but Shambhala is nowhere to be found?

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Load of bull once again, hardly surprising though.
Can't even see skyrush in the top 50, says it all really.

Dar

Hyper Poster

^Someone on TPR claims that Skyrush wasn't on the ballot?

DelPiero

Strata Poster

^again, wouldn't surprise me. About as accurate as a blind archer.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

ThomVD said:
Six B&M hypers/gigas (some that get relatively mediocre reviews) in the top 10, but Shambhala is nowhere to be found?
Wasn't Shambhala even in the top ten a few years ago? Or am I thinking of the Mitch Hawker Poll?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Skyrush's absence and the fact that Raging Bull tied with Taron shows how little I care about this poll.

And not to mention that Outlaw Run was the only RMC to make the top 10 for either poll.

TilenB

Strata Poster

^ Euro-Mir tied with Medusa made me chuckle

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

T Express below the likes of The Boss and Megafobia. Brilliant.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Congratulations to Paultons who are the 5th best childrens park!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The Golden Ticket Award calculation methodology has always been an interesting one.

Amusement Today (who administers the polling) uses a total point system, awarding X many points to 1st place on each voter's ballot, and a decreasing amount of points to each ride following. So that is to say, 1st place may receive 10 points, while 10th place may receive 1 point.

The issue with using a total point system is it requires voters to have ridden roller coasters. Therefore, while one roller coaster may be better than another, a total point system will systematically favor those roller coasters that have been most ridden by all voters. Amusement Today has tried to control for this to a degree by splitting voters into respective regions. However, the bias still remains due to simple sampling error.

Other polling examples that exist out there are popular straw polls, such as the CF Roller Coaster Tournament, that has voters select their favorite roller coaster, regardless of ridership. Roller coaster judging is based on popularity, which will induce bias, but gives a fun, rough estimation of roller coaster rankings. There is also pair-wise polling, such as the Mitch Hawker Poll, which compares each roller coaster's ranking to one another in each respective ballot. So the focus is switched from assigning point values to rankings to distances between rankings of respective roller coasters. This is the best approach that exists to date, as it allows for a better metric of judging roller coaster rankings by better controlling ridership/polling bias.

Mitch Hawker did a great writeup on this back in 2003 if you're interested to read more: http://www.ushsho.com/pollcomparison.htm

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

I don't trust Mitch Hawker anymore than I trust the golden tickets, his poll is rigged by Blobb Alvey and the TPR cult.

jayjay

Giga Poster

But at least in that case, the problems are not inherent in the system itself, just the users. Assuming completely independent and unbiased ballots, Mitch Hawker should give a more representational view on the best coasters than the Golden Ticket system. The biggest issue with Mitch Hawker's polls was that its most important users (well traveled and experienced people) have to expend more time and effort doing their ballot.

mouse

Giga Poster

I see the GTAs as awards for the most popular coasters, rather than the best in quality. Although I guess in a way the most popular can also be considered the best, as there is a large amount of people considering it to be good, despite the majority of those people having not ridden anything 'better'. If coasters were music, Fury will be a mainstream pop banger, recognised by the MTV awards, whereas wildfire is the refined jazz improvisation which is greatly loved by the fewer people who have heard it. [/endmetaphor]

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

jayjay said:
But at least in that case, the problems are not inherent in the system itself, just the users. Assuming completely independent and unbiased ballots, Mitch Hawker should give a more representational view on the best coasters than the Golden Ticket system. The biggest issue with Mitch Hawker's polls was that its most important users (well traveled and experienced people) have to expend more time and effort doing their ballot.
No. Anything that Blobb's minions spend all their effort to sway in hid direction cannot be trusted
It's literally, "Vote for THESE coasters or I BAN your ass!"

Ireeb

Mega Poster

What interests me personally: Do you also think the results for "best theme park" are distorted as well? Because if that's as accurate as "Medusa = Euro-Mir" that would really suck (Considering that Euro-Mir is relatively boring). I love the Europa-Park and I'm glad that it got the award, but was it really deserved? (And I don't want to hear opinions on the park now, I'd prefer objective information)