What's new

General Discussion

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Shush Joey and take more tablets... They always seem to run out at choice number 4 ;)

PMBO isn't underrated, it gets the "meh with a good drop" it deserves ;) Steel Talon was a much better overall ride package...

The rest of Blackpool was good back in 1982 when I first remember going on... Well... Everything...

Sine then, nothing has changed except except for the world around it, which has benefited precisely 23%. Not good when it's been doing the rest of the world favours of 348.87% ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
furie said:
Sine then, nothing has changed except except for the world around it,
If it ain't broke... <3

Not a problem, you go back to living in 80's England then... Shoulder pads, knee length boots, leggings... Wait... Hold..

Erm... Punks, Goths, Conservative government and street demonstratio...

Wait...

Erm...

It was ****, alright? :lol:

The world moved on, Blackpool didn't. They updated to modern "safety" and "corporate" but left behind the things that made it special. So did everyone else, but they did it with a budget of £10 million every few years to invest in the latest technology.

It's a complex issue, and I shouldn't belittle Blackpool for being staid and trying to hold onto historical values - I do appreciate it. However, the world did move on, and Blackpool has tried to keep up, badly.

A 1990's Blackpool (when it was at its height), was probably the UK equivalent of the US Kennywood monstrosity you so despise.

For me, it's lost its soul in exchange for an overly damp Viking death experience and some raw shellfish (with fizzy French plonk). Hardly the epitome of UK park experience it once was...

Snoo

The Legend
Well.. if you must know Joey.. most towns in the 'Rust Belt' of America have that feel to it.. my hometown included.

Rust-belt-map.jpg

Ever since the economic fallout of the late 70's.. mostly caused by the death of American steel.. these areas have been vacated by a good portion of its population. My town, Youngstown, has seen its population go from nearly 175,000 people at its high point to a decrepit 73,000.. and still falling.

Pittsburgh does give off the more hickish feel.. giving those rolling mountains and snooby douchebag attitude.. which is given off by their annoying sports teams.. but tbh.. Kennywood, being set in the urban decay that is the whole region, is the pure stereotype of what you will see in many communities in that whole area.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, the place is actually... surreal how stereotypical it is there. I almost wished I had a t-shirt proclaiming hatred for the Steelers. Except maybe not cuz I'd have been shot.

It reminds me of when Kyle took me to a Waffle House and was like "if I wasn't used to waffle house and someone brought me to one I'd be terrified." Lmao.

Snoo

The Legend
Exactly. Kennywood, to someone like me, felt quite nice and relaxing.. as I'm used to the people.