What's new

Geauga Lake...

bentcookie

Mega Poster
I can't be the only one on here that misses this park. Sure it was small, but in my opinion I thought it was a pretty decent park. It was a plus only living an hour away too. I <3 Double Loop for being my first "big kid" coaster.
Too bad competition in the industry, from within the same company, (Darn CP for being such customer whores) pretty much forced its closing. I have lots of nostalgia from that place. How about for you guys?

Intricks

Strata Poster
More than plenty enough as I spent many a year going there (rode my first ride there at the young age of 1), and was sorely disappointed when it closed.

God knows my ride count for almost all the coasters there has to be in the hundreds, if not higher. Except Raging Wolf Bobs, didnt really enjoy that ride as much.

Will miss Villain the most. I seem to pretty much be the lone person in that category on here as it was my second favorite ride from there (Dominator 1st) :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
Don't you dare speak those words on my forums. The Villain may be one of the worst coasters in the history of all mankind.

As for Geauga, yeah I miss it. I mean, who else wouldn't miss 10 or so coasters 30 minutes from your house?

As far as it closing, while it did die because of Cedar Fair, it didn't die because it wanted to end all competition for CP, it died because it killed it's fanbase when Six Flags owned it. Shame though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Geauga Lake was a great park, but always seemingly felt out of place. It definitely has history and goes way back in the Ohio culture, but grew too quickly under Premier (which turned into Six Flags) leadership. It was a great small park, who's downfall was that it was forced to grow too quickly.

Six Flags' purchase of the park back in the 90s was solely directed at trying to compete with Cedar Point. But at a time when Cedar Point was rapidly expanding with Mantis, Power Tower, Chaos, Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, and TTD over the course of seven years; Six Flags Worlds of Adventure lost out with its wild life and water park additions.

I remember writing an article when Cedar Fair bought the park back in 2005 here on CF, talking about how Geauga Lake could very well have a bright future underneath the right leadership. I will still contend that had Cedar Fair intervened earlier, GL would have had a fighting chance. However, the demographics were not letting the numbers add up at the end of the day.

It was still a good deal for Cedar Fair. They bought the park for $145 million, and were able to either relocate, sell for scrap, or keep for parts with many rides (Demon Drop will live on with Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall parts! :D ). Add in the water park, and I'd imagine Cedar Fair came out ahead.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
I visited Wild Water Kingdom in June last year and I remember waiting in line for their speed slides, looking across the lake, and seeing Raging Wolf Bobs all rotted out and dilapidated...It was a sad and eery feeling knowing that years before I was on that ride having a good time.

However, it still looked like the Big Dipper was in decent shape. I'm still wondering what will happen to that coaster considering the historical nature of it. Hopefully it can be relocated/restored and put in a Cedar Fair park where it could be successful.

bmac

Giga Poster
By the looks of it if Cedar Fair wanted the Big Dipper at another one of their parks they would've relocated it already.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Big Dipper is a tough scenario. It is a very historic roller coaster - the oldest operating in Ohio until its closure. There have been numerous attempts to try to sell the coaster, all of which have failed.

It is an unfortunate truth that it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, to relocate such a roller coaster. The cost/benefit breakdown does not play in its favor.

For now, Cedar Fair will let it stand on their property, out of the way.

I would love to see a concerted effort to have it relocated to an amusement park or entertainment venue in need of a classic woodie. Until the money is made available though - it is staying put.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I can't tell you how many times we drove right pass Geauga Lake on our way to Cedar Point. We never stopped to check the park out because we always just wanted to get to Cedar Point. Of course I regret doing that now, but this was before we started purchasing platinum passes & we didn't budget the time or money to go to any parks other than Great Adventure & Cedar Point. :(

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The name always perplexes me. That's about the extent of my knowledge of this park...

:lol:

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
ECG said:
I can't tell you how many times we drove right pass Geauga Lake on our way to Cedar Point. We never stopped to check the park out because we always just wanted to get to Cedar Point. Of course I regret doing that now, but this was before we started purchasing platinum passes & we didn't budget the time or money to go to any parks other than Great Adventure & Cedar Point. :(

Seriously? And here I thought I was a dumba$$ for driving from 6FStL to 6FKK and not knowing I'd driven past Holiday World. (An error of judgement I've rectified twice since.)

You knew Geauga/6FWoF was there, drove by multiple times, and still never made it?

DAMN, Gina.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, there were even many years that I only went to one park (Great Adventure) once a year, even though there are many parks nearby & the only park I had previously visited was Carowinds.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Perhaps. But I think we got the better color scheme, so there! :)

In any event, it's a great fit for Kings Dominion, which was sorely lacking a marquee coaster outside of Volcano prior to getting Dommy. Now the two of them form a nice little triumvirate with I305, and Dominator's location right out in front of the park makes for a much more impressive entrance than before.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Geauga Lake certainly had one of the most beautiful skylines out there, contrasting with the lake.
dominator_-_2007.07.28_-_02_172.jpg

669842162_4ed3a43787.jpg

Ohhh this topic makes me sad and brings back memories! I went to Geauga Lake yearly from 2001 since the year before it closed and that is the park that really got me into coasters. It was where I gradually progressed from Double Loop up to like, Dominator and the bigger coasters, and it was always just such a good time. I probably remember it as being better than it was because of all the nostalgia, but it was quite fab especially when it had the Sea World and whatnot as well. So stupid that they made it into a damn waterpark </3

Aw Geauga Lake </3

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Only went once, near the parks end and it showed. 2006 I believe, and we stopped on the way home from CP.

That place just had a depressing feel to it, and was a ghost town.
Which was nice since we were done by noon.

It was a fun lil park but nothing great. Nice rides but frankly better versions of all existed at other places.
I always found Dominator a bit over rated, and Villian was the only woodie too violent for me to enjoy. I thought maybe it was due to neglect but seems to have always been that way?
OK park, great for a day visit I bet, sad to see any park close.