What's new

GCI brake runs

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm not sure of a member who could answer this question, but it's worth a shot. After riding Prowler and evel knevel, I noticed that their brake runs have a small amount of banking on them. I couldn't think of a reason for the few degrees of banking. I'm sure they didn't just say "let's bank the track a bit to screw with everybody" though. Anybody know the reason?

A

Anonymous

If you ever get an answer to this, please feel free to share it :)

A

Anonymous

Since Antinos didn't post the answer to this phenomena, so I asked a person that have done some consultant work for GCI during the Twister film day about it (since Twister brake run also is banked).

The reason for it is to be able to increase the brake force of the magnetic brakes to put it in a simple answer. How you might wonder then, well wooden coaster track are built by hand with less tolerances than steel coasters and to make sure that trains won't get stuck they add a little extra play between the wheels and the track. This play means that the train (and brake fin) can move a bit side to side and due to this they have to widen the slot between the magnets so that the brake fin won't hit it, widening the slot will reduce the brake force.
By banking the brake run the train will always be running along the same side which will put the fin at the same location so that you could use a narrower slot and get a better braking performance even if the wheel gaps are pretty big...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks for the follow up loefet!

Random fact for the day fulfilled! :)

A

Anonymous

No problem, he also said that GCI usually have the banking to the other side than the last corner so that they would be extra sure that the train will stick to the side not to cause problems with the brake.
GG on the other hand did not do that on Twister though...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I never received an email back from them so I never did get an answer, but this clears it up. It makes a lot of sense too. Thank you very much, Loefet.

Mike

Giga Poster
I've got a GCI question, but can't be bothered to make a new topic so I'll stick it in here...

I've noticed that on all GCI coasters I've seen, they've had brushes either side of the track facing inwards when the train is just entering the station. I'm not sure if all wooden coaster have these, but GCIs definitely do.

Can anyone tell me what these are for? :?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^It could be some sort of sensor maybe?

A

Anonymous

^^ Most likely a safety thing to minimize the amount of things that could fall between the platform and the train...

Mike

Giga Poster
The brushes are the size of about 2 large brooms either side of the track just before entering the station.
Look on 2:08 of this video at you can just about make them out:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm4dqbH-has[/youtube]

A

Anonymous

Still think that it's a safety thing, to keep stuff that are hanging out to get stuck between the train and the platform edge...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
^ Wow! I just automatically read that last sentence in my head in the voice of the woman from the London Underground announcements 'please mind the gap between the train and the platform edge'

I've no idea what the brushes are for I'm afraid, but if someone finds out please post, this thread has been really interesting. It's great to see some real research going on :D