What's new

First with Wood-Steel Hybrid Coasters?

VF15

Roller Poster
Everyone seems to be praising Rocky Mountain Construction for inventing the Hybrid Coaster concept (steel track, wood supports) with coasters like Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant, but when you look carefully at the history of coasters, Arrow Dynamics was the first to do this with Runaway Mine Train at Six Flags over Texas in 1966, and then Cedar Creek Mine Ride at Cedar Point in 1969, and although they are kiddy coasters, they still count. In 1980, they made a thrilling hybrid coaster with Gemini. Excalibur at Valleyfair, while not as well known, is also in this category. RMC's hybrid coasters are definitely better than Arrow's, but still, I feel that Arrow Dynamics deserves credit for inventing the concept. Your thoughts?

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ the first hybrid coaster from Arrow Dynamics was actually Runaway Mine Train in SFOT, built in 1966. And to add to the discussion, I believe that Arrow's models are completely different to RMC's. Rails are different and RMC's creations are far more intense than Arrow's.

VF15

Roller Poster
TilySlo said:
^ the first hybrid coaster from Arrow Dynamics was actually Runaway Mine Train in SFOT, built in 1966. And to add to the discussion, I believe that Arrow's models are completely different to RMC's. Rails are different and RMC's creations are far more intense than Arrow's.

Yes, you are right. I forgot about Runaway Mine Train.

therick311

Mega Poster
I'm not sure I have heard anyone say RMC invented the hybrid coaster. The only praise I have heard for rides like New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler are simply that they are great rides.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that RMC invented this?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Although Arrow was the first to build standard wooden hybrid coasters, Rocky Mountain Construction (Alan Schilke & Fred Grubb to be exact) came up with the Iron Horse/I-Box track that allows for new designs and much smoother rides. Gravity Group has gone on to prove that they can also design and build wooden hybrid coasters with inversions, but theirs are not as smooth or as varied because they cannot use the new track.
BTW - Schilke worked for Arrow before RMC, but he designed Tennessee Tornado, X/X2, Timberhawk: Ride of Prey, Falken, Eejanaika, Steel Hawg and the Hellcat coasters for Arrow Dynamics/S&S Arrow, not their wooden hybrids.

VF15

Roller Poster
therick311 said:
I'm not sure I have heard anyone say RMC invented the hybrid coaster. The only praise I have heard for rides like New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler are simply that they are great rides.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that RMC invented this?

I've never actually heard someone say that RMC invented it, but the way people talk about them on various coaster forums, that really seems to be how some people see it.

therick311

Mega Poster
^ Ah, yeah. I know you mean.

Like ECG said, they did invent the I-Box track. Maybe it's more that they have invented their own new layout style, as opposed to the hybrid itself.

BBH

Giga Poster
Arrow was the first to put the all-steel tubular rails on a wooden support structure, however RMC's IBox track is really nothing like the Excalibur-esque coaster that Arrow created. It's an entirely new system with entirely different layout possibilities, but regardless of that Arrow was still the first to do it.

GeForce

Roller Poster
Even Intamin built their first hybrid before RMC with California Screamin in 2001. Like stated before by others the concept is not new just the I-Box retracking technology. I think the chronology of the hybrid technology is comparable to the looping, Schwarzkopf made the technology work and other companies pushed that technology to a better level ( Intamins Multi Inversion Coaster, B&M Multilooper, Vekoma Multilooper,etc...) just like RMC did with the principle of the hybrid coaster. Of course it´s not the best comparison in the world but you get where I´m coming from.

BBH

Giga Poster
GeForce said:
Even Intamin built their first hybrid before RMC with California Screamin in 2001. Like stated before by others the concept is not new just the I-Box retracking technology. I think the chronology of the hybrid technology is comparable to the looping, Schwarzkopf made the technology work and other companies pushed that technology to a better level ( Intamins Multi Inversion Coaster, B&M Multilooper, Vekoma Multilooper,etc...) just like RMC did with the principle of the hybrid coaster. Of course it´s not the best comparison in the world but you get where I´m coming from.
California Screamin' has a steel support structure, just designed to look like a wooden one.

GeForce

Roller Poster
^ I could have sworn I read it somewhere and that it was a wooden structure but after some research you´re correct.