What's new

First Trip to Europe PTR - Day 4: Friday the Th13teenth

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Fantastic report with some really great pictures. I think I agree with your opinion on all the coasters. I'm glad you gave Air some love :--D . I doesn't get much from enthusiasts and personally I think it deserves more.

I am many visits overdue for a ride on the Runaway Mine Train and probably Hex as well because I've actually only ridden that once.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Great report! You captured the best thing about Alton: the ducklings! <3 It's so nice to hear someone's first impressions of the park.

Did you not ride Nemesis: Sub Terra though?! It's such a fab, underrated dark ride.

Also, geeky fact: the ride part of Hex isn't actually inside the Towers, it's in a separate building nestled between the Towers walls because they couldn't get planning permission to build a ride inside. That's why you have to go through that long tunnel after the pre-shows to get to the ride.

Hutch

Strata Poster
furie said:
You were very lucky the park want busy, that's pretty unusual. You must have hit it in a blank spot between school trips and end of term; nice.
Interesting. I find it kind of funny that an average visit for Thorpe and Alton can be pretty crowded, but the one time I visits these parks the visits are perfect. :lol:

CookieCoasters said:
I'm glad you gave Air some love :--D . I doesn't get much from enthusiasts and personally I think it deserves more.
I can see why many find it bland, but for a coaster that you can't do much with in the height regulations (i.e. no pretzel loop), I think it's fine and the way it is and quite enjoyable.

Radaxian said:
Did you not ride Nemesis: Sub Terra though?! It's such a fab, underrated dark ride.
No, we didn't do that. I haven't heard anything great about it, so I didn't really care to do it. Plus I don't know what the hell it is. :p We definitely could've gave it a try.

bladeboy

Roller Poster
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that bag drop offs improved throughput as they reduce loading times no?

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sanchezmran said:
Plus I don't know what the hell it is. :p We definitely could've gave it a try.

The ride element is a small drop tower, but it's so much more than just that! The concept is that you are going underground to look at an egg of the Nemesis creature, there's fake elevators, then the ride chamber where the egg breaks open, the monster is loose and special effects happen in your seat after the drop. This is followed by a second elevator where the alien attacks you again, in complete darkness. Then a small horror maze with actors to finish.

Sure lots of people criticize it, maybe because the actual ride element is so small, but I've never seen a dark ride get so many people running and screaming as Sub Terra does. Shame you missed it!