What's new

First coaster death of 2011?

Ollie

CF Legend
A man has died after he fell out of a roller coaster carriage at a theme park in central Tokyo, police have confirmed.

Fumiaki Kuranouchi fell between 7 and 8 metres to the ground on Sunday afternoon while the roller coaster was in motion at the Tokyo Dome City Attractions in Bunkyo Ward.

The 34-year-old was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead two hours later.

Metropolitan Police Department investigators suspect that the ride, which is said to reach speeds of 39.6kph started moving before the man, who they described as 'large', had been fully secured.

According to the Mainichi Daily News, Kuranouchi was riding the attraction with three other friends and was flown from the carriage when it was making a turn at a curb.

Police are trying to determine whether the accident was caused by professional negligence or if the man failed to follow safety instructions.

An official from the park's operating company said in a press conference yesterday that the workers had found no problems with the roller coaster during equipment checks prior to the incident. However, park workers have been reported as saying that the roller coaster can function whether the safety bars are in place or not.

Senior managing director of Tokyo Dome said: "We are extremely sorry that such an accident occurred, and apologise to the family of the customer who died. We will put efforts into preventing a reoccurrence of such an accident by determining the cause of it."

The 'Spinning Coaster Maihime' roller coaster is described on the theme park's website as a 'thrilling mini-roller coaster darting around on a 300-metre-long winding track.'

The accident is the third to strike the park in the last three months.

In November a worker lost three of her fingers while checking wires and motors at the top of the 'Tower Hacker' attraction and a month later, parts from the 'Thunder Dolphin' roller coaster injured a young girl.

All rides at the theme park have been suspended after the fatal incident.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110131/tw ... e0455.html

Is this the first coaster death this year?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Restraint fails on a Maurer spinning coaster... I was shocked...

I don't know if the park are in a bad shape or just having some bad luck?

Jake

Strata Poster
Sounds like the guy was too heavy and the restraint popped open? Wasn't this the reason the weight restrictions (and the '2 adults per car' thing) were brought in for a while?

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Yeah I think it was.

Also on Dragons Fury and Spinball there is a white line which the restraint has to be inline with which must be 2-3 clicks on the restraint in order for you to ride.

My guess was this was a rather large bloke on one click which unfortunately failed.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've noticed more and more people are using the word "off" instead of "of". I find that more annoying that people using "aloud" instead of "allowed". *hint for Ollie to change the topic title*

Erm, don't really know what to add to this topic.... I know!

My thoughts are with the man's family.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ I was going to say something but didn't want to be *that* person.

Whilst we're nitpicking... you need to change the custom titles for award winners, mine still says 'Credit Whore 2009' :p.

[But you did win that award, plus it means I have more stuff to do. Remind me when I'm bored at work. - Ian]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can add another coaster to my Death Cred!!!! list...

Well, I would if I had one.

My thoughts are not with the family; that would be a blatant lie.

kimahri

CF Legend
I wonder what a physical manifestation of a thought looks like. For some reason I imagine a fat little midget guy sitting in some japanese apartment now.

Rob

Mega Poster
furie said:
Restraint fails on a Maurer spinning coaster... I was shocked...

I do believe that this coaster was in fact an Illegal in Europe copy of the SC design, manufactured by Golden Horse. Another ride they have cloned (which also break European Patents) is Mondial's Top Scan.

The key differences I can see here are the track joints to the supporting structure are not like others used by Maurer Sohne, and the handles in the trains are not the same as those on Maurer Sohne Spinners (UK ones anyway).

I know RCDB have the ride down as a Maurer Sohne, but the visual differences in the design are essentially none, so it would be an easy mistake to make. I cannot find any reference to this coaster on Maurer Sohne's website (then again, there are not many projects listed at all), and Golden Horse's website is also failing to work.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Doubtful.

Unlike many countries in Asia (China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam etc.) Japan doesn't go for the knock-off goods market and is very conscientious about copyright laws. I don't see why the coaster industry would be any different.

Rob

Mega Poster
Just look at the differences in design though, there are a few subtle things; the handles on the train are those seen on other Golden Horse rides, the support structure certainly isn't like most Maurer Sohne rides, and the layout is nothing like any other by Maurer Sohne. Additionally, it's lack of footers suggest it's a more off the shelf design, and the layout bears a strong resemblance to the Reverchon spinning coaster layout. On top of this, to the best of my knowledge, Maurer Sohne coasters cannot despatch with restrains unlocked. Just seems a bit abnormal for Maurer Sohne; a company which prides itself on innovative safety systems.

Rob

Mega Poster
Just to add some more basis to my claims...

http://www.rcdb.com/4499.htm?p=24169

Here is a roller coaster with the exact same layout, same supporting structure, very similar trains, same restraints, made by Golden Horse, and demonstrating it's ability to operate with harnesses open.

EDIT: Just to add to the confusion, the layout is also used by Maurer Sohne, and bears resemblance to this. On top of this, the trains restraints are that of Golden Horse, yet the car handle (around the edge) is that of Maurer Sohne. Maybe it is a hybrid? :')

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, I'm well aware of the Chinese knock offs; I've been on a bunch of them.

I just don't for a second believe that a park in Japan would A. consider and B. get away with buying one. The Chinese knock offs have to be knocked off from an original design in the first place:

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8217

Martyn B

CF Legend
^^ The only thing is, from what I can remember, the stats on RCDB are recieved from the manufacturer.

The coaster you linked on the other page has very detailed stats, which would have come from the manufacturer. Surely he wouldn't have listed the wrong manufacturer?

Though I do agree that the layouts aren't very MS'y.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, aren't the Chinese ones only in China cause that's where they can get away with it cause they can't be SUED?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I've been on a couple of Chinese knock-offs in Vietnam as well.