What's new

Favourite coaster

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Yeah I had the exact same experience, I really enjoyed it and found it more forceful than Balder which I felt was pretty tame. It was straight into my top 10 when I rode it last year.

I'd would have loved to have ridden it before the re-tracking as it must have been mind-blowing.

Jake

Strata Poster
furie said:
Well Pokemaniac, I think half the group who did the Sweden/Norway trip in 2007 preferred TC considerably over Balder. I think it hit a lot of top tens that weekend.

It was a fast, exciting (but uncomfortable) coaster. I'd have loved to have something that good close to me as a first coaster experience :)

I rode it on sunday and thought it was alright. In the morning, it was slower, and was VERY smooth, then in the afternoon it was faster but a bit rougher.

It still wasn't uncomfortable though, apart from where there should have been great airtime there was one quick spike of ejector, smashing my knees into the restraint, but this airtime only lasted for a split second, not over the top of the whole hill.

I'd probably give it a 7. It CERTAINLY doesn't come close to Balder, and i'm amazed that people have rated it above it. ThunderCoaster is just your average, decent woodie.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It was very fast and filled to the brim with strong, sustained ejector. It was excellent, but the wheels were square so it caused a constant, nasty vibration in your feet and arse all the way around. That was the only thing really putting a downer on it. That took it down to a 9 for me, as it made the coaster unridable multiple times (I found). If not, it would easily have taken my number 1 spot at the time.

The same weekend, I think Balder managed to get in at about number 6 in my top ten and only a single ride all weekend on Balder beat Thundercoaster. That one ride was utterly fantastic on Balder, really great. The entire other 50 or 60 times, Balder was just your average, decent woodie.

Ben

CF Legend
Thunder Coaster doesn't have a single moment of sustained airtime on it... they're all spikes which aren't fun...

I also found it nearly sluggish on a lot of the turns, and each turn shuffled like a pack of cards.

It's average IMO. Probably a 7.

marc

CF Legend
I really do think it all depends on the time of year you go.

Same for us and Portaventura last year, so many people rave about Baco and yet we found it nasty. Khan I did not think was as good as Kumba yet near enough everyone says its better.

EGF was another one, alot of people say its the best coaster in the world yet I found it far to slow. It was getting better then it rained and that killed the coaster.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Thunder Coaster doesn't have a single moment of sustained airtime on it... they're all spikes which aren't fun...

I also found it nearly sluggish on a lot of the turns, and each turn shuffled like a pack of cards.

It's average IMO. Probably a 7.

Was that before the retracking that everyone bitches about which has supposed to have ruined it?

Jake

Strata Poster
^ I don't think so, cus the retracking was only one turn, which was the smoothest part of the ride. GCI <3.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's really all those who have been on it both before and after. They say the coaster is completely different now. It may just be one corner, but it does appear to have altered the entire pacing of the coaster.

After all, Boulder Dash had a single trim put in place and it's taken it from being a brilliant coaster to being the God of all coasters :) So a small change can make a major difference.

Ben

CF Legend
It was the God of all coasters BEFORE the trim... but after the re-do :p

And if it had been ANY faster on the hills after that turn, and the airtime had been any more abrupt, I think I'd have had a hernia.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It was like the hottest, tastiest curry you'd ever had. It was a challenge, but worth it. However, while you were eating it, there was somebody behind you hitting you with a crab all through the meal, which detracted from the taste pleasure a lot.

Slayed likes being hit with crabs, I went off to ride Loopen and eat ice-cream in preference to doing it again for the last three rides of the day :D

Tjex1

Roller Poster
If Stealth (Thorpe), had lap bars, as with TTD, it would quite easily be my favorite ride!

A

Anonymous

Jake said:
^ I don't think so, cus the retracking was only one turn, which was the smoothest part of the ride. GCI <3.
GCI have re-tracked more or less half the ride now, and will probably finish of the job at some point...

A

Anonymous

thundercoaster.jpg

Here is an image that shows what have been done so far, red: first re-tracking, blue: second re-tracking.

Still original Thundercoaster >>>>> re-tracked version...

Well about favourite coaster, Balder, T-Express, Eagle Fortress, Mega-Lite's are in the top of my charts. But there is one coaster I love more then those...

Lisebergbanan <3 :p

Sorry about the double, but I were completely unable to post this in one post, since half of it disappeared when I pressed submit...

Ben

CF Legend
When they're done can they PLEASE put some Millennium Flyers on it as well and just make it a proper GCI?

Kebab

Giga Poster
Dragon Khan. Not only is it a fun rollercoaster but it seems to have a nice "personality", it also simply looks "epic"!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^^^Brown - the areas that needed retracking the most to begin with. Seriously, that last turn is awful.

And Ben, when did you ride ThunderCoaster? And I guess that it will get Millennium Flyers in the near future. Perhaps not next year, but 2011 perhaps?

A

Anonymous

And if they can't get Millennium Flyers then there is always the Timberliner trains, Which might fit this coaster pretty good , especially with the added suspension :)

DDF14

Mega Poster
Steel: Dragon Khan
Wood: Troy

The Dragon does it all and does it so very well.
Troy just put the best smile on my face ever.

A

Anonymous

Millennium Force all the way. It's 10 years old, and still better than everything out there that's new. Incredible design by Intamin, and they followed it up with Intimidator 305. Then they put trims on I305, and it sucks now. :evil:

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Your very name says you needn't have bothered posting in this thread, we can guess. :)

And, you know... Intamin made a couple of coasters in between Millennium Force and I305... just one or two...