• Arena style

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
After seeing TheCoasterCruiser's photo of the Dodge Thems at Tivoli Gardens, I noticed it looked like a circuit with an island in the middle opposed to the more traditional open planned arena style.

Circuit Style Bumper Cars at Tivoli
942879_684509134985470_9035670459188656891_n.jpg

Arena Style Bumper Cars
maxresdefault.jpg

Do you prefer the circuit or arena style? Circuit is good because it encourages everybody to travel in the same direction, which is the strict law enforced by punishment of death on 99% of dodgems. It also encourages a racing style which some might find exciting. The arena style is more of a free for all and allows riders to easily target the most vulnerable or irritating person, allowing for an more interesting and spontaneous ride.

So which one do you prefer?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Interestingly I've never seen the circuit type.

I think I'd probably prefer the arena style, as it probably encourages more carnage. I don't think you can really race in bumper cars very well, so I don't really see the point?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The circuit style looks interesting, but it feels to much of a controlled environment (until someone does a U-turn :p), whereas the arena style is more of a free-for-all.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hixee said:
Interestingly I've never seen the circuit type.
Tbh, I've only seen it twice before IRL. I remember the Audi ones at Sarkanniemi.
maxresdefault.jpg

And I swear I've queued up with CFers to ride a circuit style at another European park, possibly another one of the Nordic countries (seems like they like circuit style) but I can't remember where. I know it had a metal tubular bar queue line. Hmmm. It'll come to me.

EDIT: Yes. It was another Nordic park - Linnanmaki. Although I wouldn't call the the pillar an island, it still forces the circuit style.

autorata_0.png

Today I've learnt that Scandinavians like circuit bumper cars. Practical information right there.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This one has thrown a curve ball. Namco in London has several pillars, making it an arena style with obstacles. I'm going to name this type 'Gladiatorial Style'.
namco-station.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Ha, my favourite circuit one is more of a circuit than the previous examples. It lives at Skyline park and is more like a scalextric track you can manoeuvre about. Chaos was caused on our run when a girl crashed into the side and caused like 4 cars to stop while everyone else whizzed by. It was very exciting. Like go karts but somehow better?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Arena style. The Island in the middle only causes a clog. It also doesn't help when YOU CAN ONLY TURN RIGHT!!! The arena is a lot more open and free. I was never a fan of bumper cars anyways. The one here at SFGAm is arena, but is rougher than an SLC. I rode the circuit style at Dollywood, and decided never to **** with bumper cars again. But if I HAD to choose, Arena.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Ha, my favourite circuit one is more of a circuit than the previous examples. It lives at Skyline park and is more like a scalextric track you can manoeuvre about. Chaos was caused on our run when a girl crashed into the side and caused like 4 cars to stop while everyone else whizzed by. It was very exciting. Like go karts but somehow better?
I have to admit that I usually don't bother with dodgems but gave the ones at Skyline Park a go because I hadn't seen anything like them before, but I prefer the arena style over the circuit ones and I would probably try the gladiator style if I ever came across one. I've also seen a few American park with the circuit style, but don't recall where they were.
Here are some photos I took of the one at Skyline Park to give everyone a idea of what peep is talking about:

skylinebumper1.jpg

skylinebumper2.jpg

skylinebumper3.jpg

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I like a free for all style, no divider, no one way traffic... accidental head-ons
That being said, I almost never, ever ride bumper cars. Typical at the parks I visit with them (Canobie / SFNE) the line is always massive and I don't care enough to wait in line 20-30 minutes to drive a slow car around tapping other cars.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I liked the circuit one at Tusenfryd, but they did this weird drift thing. So the back end swung out as you cornered making it more exciting.

I'd love to try the ones at Skyline, they look fab.

Generally, they're only good fun with an entire ride full of friends (and enemies).

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I frequently get flashbacks of a traumatic experience when I was about 9 and I caused a traffic jam in a circuit style bumper car ride, and everyone started booing me and getting angry. It was terrifying.

So definitely the open style!