What's new

Favorite Launch

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The top hat in the front seats is really intense as well. It's literally painfully strong and almost equal in WTF?! as the launch in my opinion.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
tks said:
Isn't Zaturn exactly the same as Stealth?

Probably. It isn't like I rode them the same day, but personally I enjoyed Zaturn more. Perhaps it was the company, perhaps it was Zaturn being my #600. I actually rode Stealth during ERT, but preferred riding Zaturn with the GP.

Either way, my memory said Zaturn had the more forceful launch and better air on the tophat. There was less down time, and lighter passenger load, that's for sure!
:wink:

Will

Strata Poster
Gerstlauer launches are better than Intamins.
There. I said it.

Oh, and Macks are as well, since I just remembered Blue Fire exists.

Snoo makes a good point - this fact IS obviously only based on the ones I've met. However, I'll still jump up and down and insist that nobody who's ever actually left London for coaster purposes has any excuse for rating Stealth. As for Baco, it's barely worth acknowledging :?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Might as well list my Top 20:
1. Xcelerator
2. Top Thrill Dragster
3. Storm Runner
4. Volcano
5. blue fire Megacoaster
6. Fluch von Novgorod
7. Kingda Ka
8. White Lightning
9. California Screamin'
10. Wicked Twister
11. Lynet
12. Xpress
13. Speed - The Ride
14. Mr. Freeze
15. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
16. Montezooma's Revenge
17. Desert Race
18. Joker's Jinx
19. Powder Keg
20. Flight of Fear

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I'm intrigued that KK and TTD are so far apart.

I also often put California Screamin' lower, I did really get that "balls to the wall" feeling with its take off.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ka's launch isn't what it used to be or maybe I'm just so used to it now that I'm remembering it as being more forceful a few years back. TTD's still feels much the same as it always has to me, but then I've only been riding Dragster for the past three years.
Ka should be ranked higher than 3-6 just due to the stronger forces & speed, but I go with how the launch effects the overall ride experience & Ka just seems to let up too much before going vertical.
Cali Screamin' isn't very forceful, but the launch is over water which gives it a unique element that none of the others have. White Lighting wasn't very forceful either, but it was my first launcher & as such it ranks much higher than it actually should.
Like TTD & Ka, Xcelerator & Storm Runner would be nothing without their launches, which both deliver on in spades. Volcano & Blue Fire are great overall coasters, but the launch of each contribute greatly to the ride & Fluch would just be a well themed Eurofighter without it's launch, so it's also way up on my list.
So those are my favorites (as the topic asks), but not necessarily the fastest or most forceful. :wink:

walker1104

Mega Poster
My top three would probably be:

Stealth
Rita
Incredible Hulk

Stealth is number one for me purely because it had a massive impact on me before I rode it. It just seemed really powerful. I love the Hulks launch. That’s probably because its unique. It's also really disorientating the first time you ride it, with being thrown out of the tunnel straight into a zero g roll.

Although to be fair, I've not really been on that many launch coasters. Probably around 7 max.

Snoo

The Legend
Lets see:

1. Maverick.. with the original opening day theme. It wasn't just the power.. but the amazing feel and just.. sex of it all. I think the experience may have been enhanced by the fact I was one of the first people to ride it.. ect ect.

2. Top Thrill Dragster.. well it was just plain delicious.. on top of the fact that it may have been the most fun I've ever had on a ride.. really adds to the fun.

3. Storm Runner.. I dunno.. some people don't like it.. but I really love the shortness and quick jolt of it.

4. Kingda Ka.. amazing launch but suffers in quality quite a bit along the train. Rough as hell in everything other than the front.

5. Volcano: The Blast Coaster.. inverted launches aren't all that good but the double launch into the vertical inversion is just epic. It might just be me.. :lol:

Past that.. meh. Nothing really worth remembering.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Where did Hypersonic: XLC fall in there for you, Jerry?
Didn't get to ride it. :(
Was down when we went & then they got rid of it before we returned to KD.

KDGrizzly4Life

Mega Poster
The first time I did Storm Runner in '05 I was blown away. The pre-launch audio just sets the mood and kept me coming back for another 5 rides.

I also freakin' love Volcano, as it is my home park. Flight of Fear is pretty cool too, because I know the guys who goof there and the people who do it like robots :p

Treeis

Mega Poster
Stealth for me, mind blowing. Maybe one day I will ride Dodompa....

Also, does anyone else get a slight acceleration feeling when braking on X :/ no way out?

s15c

Mega Poster
1.) Dragster. Cause at first you're like "Woah" and then you're like "WOAH!"

2.) Kingda Ka, sort of a bumpier and shoulder harness version of Dragster. Don't like it as much. It's a "woah" then "still woah"

3.) Storm Runner? Xcelerator? I remember them being awesome but I rode Xcelerator too long ago to remember how to compare it.

5.) Maverick. It's nice. It just has no buildup or dramatic pause. If I hadn't looked it up I probably would have never known there's a launch until I rode it.

LINKY

Roller Poster
Rita(Alton Towers)
Rock 'n' Roll Rollercoaster(Disneyland Paris)
Space Mountain Mission 2(Disneyland Paris)

humblewumble

Roller Poster
1. The Incredible Hulk (IOA): I remember when I went on this with my friend, and this Spanish kid around my age and his grandma we were going up the chain lift slowly and then all of a sudden you go fast so my expression was kind of like "wtf?!"

2. Rock N' Roller Coaster: Hearing the music in your ears and being in the last row at the same time...yeah... cool)

3. Tower Of Terror: Since you don't know if you're going to go up or down cause it's all different, is really a cool idea:)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Tower of Terror isn't a roller coaster, but hey! It's still a fantastic ride.