What's new

Favorite Drop Tower rides

Kebab

Giga Poster
Hurakan Condor is by far my favourite. It nearly doubles Apocalypse's height, with added theming which is amazing, and falling into that castle-like structure is quite an awkward experience. I love the view from that thing, it's so much more spectacular than the likes of other towers I know, especially towering over Dragon Khan: wow!

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
Drop Zone at kings Island for the drop towers.

For the launched ones, mine would have to be Big Shot on top of the Stratesphere Hotel in Vegas. Horrible at spelling so bear with me.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Detonator. That thing scares the crap out of me every single time I ride it. After that, I love the S&S shot and drop towers.

Standard drop towers that just free-fall under gravity don't really bother me these days. They're fun to ride, but once you've done one and know what to expect, you've pretty much experienced them all.

M_Force_4_ever

Roller Poster
Hmm let's see all the drop tower rides I've been on
Giant Drop at SFGAm
Power Tower at Cedar Point
Double Shot at Indiana Beach
Liberty Launch at Holiday World
Detinator at Dorney Park
Hellavator at Kentucky Kingdom
Acrophobia at SFOG
Supreme Scream at KBF
Power Tower at Valleyfair!
Drop Zone at Kings Island
Drop Zone at Kings Dominion
(Forgot the name) at Nickelodeon Universe
(Forgot the name) at La Ronde

Acrophobia and Power Tower and Valleyfair are my 2 favorites

A

Anonymous

I don't think it's fair to really call the Tower of Terror a drop tower, the system is totally different from your average drop tower ride, in fact, it forces you down faster than gravity, meaning it isn't even a freefall.

nealbie

CF Legend
Owen0891 said:
I don't think it's fair to really call the Tower of Terror a drop tower, the system is totally different from your average drop tower ride, in fact, it forces you down faster than gravity, meaning it isn't even a freefall.
But it's still a tower that drops :wink:

Ben

CF Legend
And if you start losing all the towers that aren't 'traditional' and don't let you just free-fall... you lose at least half of them.

Rush

Giga Poster
The two Tower of Terrors I've been on are significantly better than the other towers I've been on. The atmopsphere on it is brilliant and I love the whole storyline of it. Florida's was a bit better but the theming and overall ride experience on both was far superior to any other drop tower. Especially with only wearing seatbelts.

I haven't ridden a huge variety of different towers. I love Detonator, yes it's short but the amount of airtime given is brilliant. It gets me every time I ride it.

The S&S ones are okay, some are significantly better (Cliffhanger) and some are extremely crap. (Ice Blast)

I've done Apocalypse as well and I wasn't that impressed by it, it wasn't as intense as I was expecting and the stand-up floorless wasn't good for my man-parts.

A

Anonymous

Kebab said:
I'm shocked that no-one has actually mentioned Blue fall. I'm seriously a huge fun. I love the "fake-drop" elementon this one especially; notice at the top right and left sides where there are breaks placed?
Me on the previous page said:
Blue Fall - Sea Paradise (only the fake drop sides)
gavin on the previous page said:
2. Blue Fall
Yeah the fake drop is pretty awesome.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
My favourite is Extremis drop ride to doom at london dungeon because it is so small (20ft) and packs the biggest punch ever.
Then it is detonator at thorpe park because it is fun and forceful with the countdown.
Frog hoppers?? Dunno why>>> ???????

Now that I have been on a few more drop towers, I'd rank them like this:

1. Drop Tower, Kings Island / XScream, Waldameer
2. Demon Drop, Cedar Point
3. Drop tower at Great America (can't remember the name)
4. Drop Zone, Canada's Wonderland
5. Pitfall, Kennywood
6. Power Tower, Cedar Point
7. Cannonball, Freedom Festival
8. Shock Drop, Beech Bend
9. Froghopper :p

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Drop Zone at Kings Dominion is good... basically the same height as the one at Kings Island.

Even though it's not very tall, I had a lot of fun with Dr. Doom's Fear Fall at IoA. The theming makes the ride, and riding at night looking out over the lagoon is great.