What's new

Europa-Park removes VR from Pegasus

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I think many of you will see this as good news:
Michael Mack, manager of Europa-Park, Rust, Germany, has decided to completely remove VR from the family roller coaster "Pegasus".
The reason is what many of us hate about VR: The increased boarding time and lower capacity.
On the other side, the powered coaster "Alpenexpress Enzian" will keep its VR features and those will be extended. In the future, you will be able to choose between different scenes for the ride.

I am happy about the decision and I think other park managers should take note and not sacrifice the capacity of a ride for VR.
Alpenexpress has only one train and therefore a bad capacity anyway, so there is not much to lose.
Pegasus has two trains and if one train always has to wait for 2 minutes in front of the station, that's really inefficient. I am glad it will run at its maximum capacity again. Pegasus was the one and only time I tried VR, and for sure I won't miss it.
Source (German): http://www.parkerlebnis.de/europa-park-pegasus-virtual-reality-2017_37050.html

Last edited:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Fab. One VR coaster in a park is enough. One more than enough :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Bit naff tbh. Really rated the VR on Pegasus, and I know it's a very small example and was quite quiet comparitively when we were there but it didn't impact loading that much for us.

Alpenexpress on the other hand was a ****ing nightmare in terms of queue times.

S

SimonSays99

I tweeted them about this also hoping this might be the beginning of the end but the response was that its quite the contrary. They have a big demand from the GP and might upgrade one of their higher capacity coasters for VR :(

Will

Strata Poster
I'm happy with this news.
I didn't mind it on Alpenexpress, but I think the difference is that Alpenexpress is a pretty dull ride aside from the smell of the spice-cave, whereas Pegasus is an excellent attraction on its own merit. Aside from the loading faff, I was pleasantly surprised by how well executed it was on Alpenexpress - but of course, like everyone else, I'd still prefer not to see the park experiment with the concept any further!

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I don't think VR is something that should be banned entirely. But what usually doesn't work is "let's take a random rollercoaster that needs (new) scenery but we are too lazy so we just put VR on it". If they develop new rides that are made for VR (doesn't have to be a coaster) it could be interesting. Maybe they'll find a way to design a coaster with VR that doesn't have extreme boarding times (Put the VR goggles on in the queue and you see a virtual version of the station? So you just sit down like everyone else...) and the VR is still optional that would work for me.
But I think Mack learned that ruining the capacity with VR has to be avoided. They still like VR though I guess.