What's new

Euro Mini Trip April 2023 (Parc Astérix, Plopsaland De Panne, Walibi Belgium)

James F

Hyper Poster
After dipping my toes in with travelling to 2 parks last month, it was time for my most ambitious trip yet. Travelling from Paris to Depanne to Brussels and then finally Charleroi to do 3 parks in 3 days all while using public transport.

While I had some hiccups that you will read later, the public transport links in Mainland Europe are second to none, plus it worked out cheaper alot than hiring a car.

Day one: Travel

I flew from Manchester to Paris CDG. Only took 1hr 30 and 20 minutes of that was taxiing.

I soaked in the culture, staying in the Ibis at the airport. The room smelt a bit funny, soon drafted it out. Other than that it was decent.

The benefit of staying at the airport was that the shuttle bus to Parc Asterix was right next to my hotel. It's also great for lazy people like me who can get to their room within 40 minutes of landing.

Day Two - Parc Astérix (19th of April)

Never been to Parc Asterix before and to tell you the truth I never had much desire to until a certain Intamin made it's debut.

I was a little concerned about the reliability of Toutatis as I heard it went down all day a few days before. I guess I am a pessamist because I always expect the worse.

20230419_093427.jpg

The first shuttle got there super early, an hour before opening. Which was a good thing because the entrance was soon filled with people. The anticipation was high, one of the parks staff had come out with a camera, I didn't think much of it until the rope dropped and there was a complete stampide of people running. Honestly I have never seen anything like it, a full on running of the bulls.

toutatis bob resised.jpg

First guess to what everyone was running to. Again the pessamist it me came pack as I had only seen the ride test once in the hour we were stood outside. The line was already getting crazy backing up past Trace Du Hourra.

After a doubtful 30 minuites there was a sigh of relief and a buzz of excitement as the queue line opened.

20230419_134801.jpg

20230419_170116.jpg

Toutatis: Review

Wow, just as awesome as I expected. This was easily my most anticipated ride of 2023 and yep it delivers on every aspect.

Before even riding Toutatis, I was impressed by the theming and presentation of the area. It has a celtic theme and definitely given off Wickerman vibes (but not as dark) despite being brand new the whole area feels lived in and not just a lifeless pile of dirt.

The station area is really well done with a lighting package that is synchronised with every dispatch. The queue line was moving fast thanks to stellar operations (a recurring theme with Parc Astérix)

I got lucky and was given the back row for my first ride.

Once you board the coaster, you are sent down a little dip, if you a sat towards The back you will get a small pop of airtime here. Then you launch quickly into the first inversion which given great hangtime for all. Then you are sent into two outbanked bunny hops which don't do too much, but offer some mild floater once the ride has warmed up.

Then it's time for the main event. You fly into the switch track and hear the amazing sound of the LSMs as you sent into the airtime hill and up the top hat, this first run gives you a hint of airtime, but not much else, however the power of Toutatis is soon realised when you fall backwards and are sent aggressively skywards on the return run. The vertical spike offers some weightlessness and a spectacular view as you are sent back though the same element with even more speed.

Once you reach the top hat you will start to feel the train slow down but not before experiencing more airtime on entry if you are sat up front, towards the back you get pulled down the 110 degree drop.

The zero G stall is quite snappy, the only thing I have to relate it to is Zadra, I prefer Zadras due to the scale, but it's still superb.

You get another sideways pop of air before being launched over the airtime hill with some great ejector especially in the back.

I was expecting the wall stall to be a dud, which it was in the morning but as the ride warmed up I felt some floater coming off it. The heartline roll offers some great whip before you are sent into two final ejector pops.

So yeah Toutatis is awesome and based on just one ride I knew it would make my top ten.

20230419_150726.jpg

The next coaster on the agenda was Pegasis Express, not nearly as much to say about it except that it's a great family coaster with a really high throughput and a deceptively intense backwards section.

20230419_113257.jpg
20230419_155301.jpg

Tonnerre 2 Zeus was next. I had heard it's reputation for being rough but offering good airtime, for me it was the opposite. Quite smooth but not much in the way of forces, but this might be due to the Timberliner trains which I found restrictive. Still a fun ride though, I liked it better than Troy.

IMG_20230419_204318_984.jpg

Now it was time for the dreaded nightmare that is Goudurix. I didn't want to hate it. Admittedly it looks pretty and it had a fairly unique layout with the butterfly loop an all. While I didn't find it painful, it was just too rough to be enjoyable. It didn't help that some guy in front was filming on his phone so I had to brace myself for two possible concussions at once.

IMG_20230419_203450_725.jpg
20230419_125924.jpg
20230419_125855.jpg

Here it is at last, my #200 credit Oziris. It's a great invert, smooth as expected and it's quite forceful even if it doesn't mach the mighty Nemesis. Although I would say it's as good as Montu.

20230419_120731.jpg

20230419_133153.jpg

After riding some of the smaller rides I made my way back to Toutatis for rerides. I ended up getting 5 rides in total. One in the front, two in the back, one second to back and one middle row. After my resides I can safely put it in my number 5 spot. Another amazing European coaster that I think every enthusiast should ride if given the opportunity.

20230419_183010.jpg
Parc Astérix is an amazing park. I was surprised by how good it is. I have been to several European parks now and Parc Astérix to me is one of the best, properly 3rd best in Europe after Europa Park and Phantasialand. The operations are incredible. The park has great theming and is also naturally beautiful. I would definitely go back when I get the chance.

-

If you are reading this shortly after I post. I am sorry about the lack of photos. I am trying to upload images from my phone, but I keep getting errors. Hopefully I will be able to post them soon.

-

The next post will be reporting the traveling to Belgium from Paris and Plopsaland DePanne.

Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Attachments

• 20230419_134739.jpg
    20230419_134739.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230419_133153.jpg
    20230419_133153.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230419_203157_576.jpg
    IMG_20230419_203157_576.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
Day Three: More Travel & Plopsaland De Panne (20th of April)

Today was the most ambitious part of my trip, Travelling from my hotel at Paris CDG airport all the way to Popsaland De Panne then after spending a few hours there, travel to Brussels to get to my hotel. This would take one shuttle tram and six trains in total. The reasoning for this was simple = Ride to Happiness. While it obviously looks to be one of the best coasters in Europe I didn't feel that it was worth making a single trip there and then heading straight back to the UK, so despite the faff of getting several trains and the feeling that this could go easily **** up I took the gamble.

I knew that if everything went to plan, I would get to Plopsaland De Panne for 13:10 and would have 4 hours to get on everything, which considering the it's a small park I felt that this was reasonable, but to ensure I got plenty of re-rides I purchase the express pass online for 35 euro.
20230420_084902.jpg
If you would have asked me what my most hated airport is I would of said Charles De Galle, but to be honest it has redeemed itself since my chaotic trip to Disneyland Paris in 2010, everything was a lot more clear and signposted this time. My first of many trains was from CDG TUV station in terminal 2 which was heading for Lille. The train journey was only 50 minutes to Lille which is impressive considering it's 130 miles away, the high speed trains in France are no joke.

20230420_095128.jpg
This was the train taking me to Lille. It's operated by OUIGO which is a low cost carrier similar to Ryan Air or Easyjet. Similar to an airline on Ouigo trains you need to 'Check in' before boarding, which sounds like a lot of faff, but it isn't, all it means is before you reach the platform you ticket will need to be scanned by a member of staff, the main catch is that you need to arrive 30 minutes before the train departs (which to me isn't much of an issue)
-
Similar to a low cost airlines there are also limitations on baggage that you can take on. You are allowed a cabin bag of 55cm x 35cm x 25cm and a small handbag. To me this wasn't an issue as I was flew in with Easyjet with hand luggage. The best part of traveling with this operator was that the Tickets were only 10 Euros! which is a steal compared to trains in the UK, not only that but it's a high speed train that is actually on time.

20230420_111342.jpg

The first and thankfully only hiccup was that the train I was initially plan to get at Lille was cancelled. I feared that this could be a trend due to the ongoing strikes in France, but luckily this wasn't the case and I was able to get the next train, but this would unfortunately delay me by an hour which meant less time at Plosaland.
20230420_125030.jpg
The next train was heading for Bruges (it's in Belgium) where I had to change at Lichtervelde, where I only had 8 mins to change or I would be delayed by yet another hour, don't you just love train travel?
20230420_132408.jpg
The final train (thankfully) was to De Panne which stops right outside the park. Luckily I manged to catch it as the trains actually run on time here.
It was at this point I realised how cold the north of Belgium can be, even in by winter coat I was freezing, quite the contrast to the weather at Parc Asterix where I got sunburnt. 20230420_141216.jpgHere I am! It took an hour longer than I expected, but considering I still had over 3 hours until the park shuts I consider it to be quite the success. The park seemed dead when I got there. There was not even I member of staff at the turnstiles. I would of thought it was closed if I didn't see the rides running. Getting in was a faff though, which I did not enjoy after the effort it took to get here. After pacing around I noticed people in the guest services building next to the entrance, it took me a good 10 minutes to get in due to the people in front of me were buying a season pass, In hindsight this isn't anything to moan about, but when your in the moment it's a different story. I finally got in, but for some reason I had to go to the shop to pick up my express pass which meant even more faffing. 20230420_142203.jpgBecause I was cold, hungry and tired, I wasn't in the best of moods. When I arrived the park was dead, I wasn't upset that the express pass was redundant, but more the fact that the park just seemed to lack any atmosphere, but then again it was a cold and damp Thursday afternoon.
20230420_144610.jpg
20230420_143153.jpg
20230420_160111.jpg

Ride To Happiness: Review
-
I'll be honest the first time I rode this I came off a little disappointed. I was sat in the front row and while I thought it was still a great ride, I just didn't get much enjoyment out of it. I think this was all down to my current mindset though, as I had barely eaten and was still freezing cold. After getting in another re-ride I still felt the same way, but after having something to eat and getting some rest I returned.

I then took a seat in the back row and that is when I got the true Ride to Happiness experience.

As soon as you leave the station you are sent into the hangtime filled Jojo roll. The first ride I got, I didn't enjoy this element at all as it made me feel ill, however this time I got much more enjoyment out of it. The first launch definitely feels more punchy than other Mack coasters. Then you are sent up the first hill, if you're sat at the front you get a pop of ejector here, you don't feel much at the back, but when the train decends down the near vertical drop; it's a different story. Sat on the back row going down that drop is one of the best moments of any coaster I have done, as you are often on your side or facing backwards, it feels as if you are tied to the back of a truck which is falling down a cliff (in the most fun way possible)
-
The Banana roll is quite disorienting, but not enough to make you feel sick. The vertical loop is good fun as you are usually facing outwards so you can see the world flip on it's head, though it is at this point where the rattle becomes palpable. The coaster was running two trains that day and I feel as if one train felt rougher than the other, while I wouldn't say it ruined the ride, it certainly would of benefited my enjoyment if it was a smoother experience, regrettably it is the roughest of the Mack launch coasters I have done.
-
The next element is much more calm, but what's to follow is one of the most intense moments I have felt on a coaster, I was soon lifted out of my seat on the airtime hill on the second launch then suddenly you feel the cars flipping in all directions as it passes through the flying snake dive. There are then 3 consecutive airtime moments that follow, each one feeling more aggressive than the last, before the ride hits the brakes.
-
Ride to Happiness is by nature an inconsistent ride, so it makes it hard for me to rank as some rides would barely make my top 20, while other would make my top 5, I quickly found that the back row was the best overall experience for me. There are several moments that make Ride to Happiness shine, including the first drop, flying snake dive and the final double up which really all feel out of this world, but again the nasty rattle does detract somewhat, but I can't ignore how good those highlight moments are, so based on the 10 rides I had, I would put Ride to Happiness at my number 10 spot, just above Wodan, but below Taron.

20230420_144843.jpg

The next coaster was Hedie: The Ride. I only had one ride on this in the back row. Out of the several GCI's I have done, this one is on the lower tier, but to be fair that is what I expected. It's great for it's demographic and it's also one of the smoothest wooden coasters I have done, but it doesn't offer much in the way of airtime.

20230420_145826.jpg
20230420_150659.jpg

The next ride was the Mack Powered Coaster 'Draak'. Not much to say about it other than it others some good views of the surrounding area and that the gift shop selling a lot of Spyro merchandise.

20230420_151219.jpg
Now it was kiddie cred time, which feels weirdly obligatory at this point. With Plopsaland being mostly catered towards younger children, they go all out with the sponsorships and IP's. The #LikeMeCoaster has a quite an elaborate queue themed to a school, which I think is based of a Belgium children's TV show.

20230420_153401.jpg
20230420_154315.jpgAnubis: The Ride is technically the first Gerstlauer Launch coaster I have done, but I have also been on 'Flucht Von Novgorod' which feels very similar. The ride starts with a snappy launch before you are given a pop of air at the apex of the tophat, the rest of the ride is good and is fairly smooth for a Gerstlauer , while there are some dead spots, overall it's a solid coaster in my book.

rth.jpg
20230420_162553.jpg

After getting on the rest of the coasters, I did a few more rides on Ride to Happiness before leaving to get my train to Brussels. The diversion was definitely worth it in my opinion, another coaster in my top 10 and seven more credits (I count supersplash). While the weather was a bit naff and the atmosphere was bit dire, Ride to Happiness made the trip to Plosaland worth it.
-
After a two hour train journey (changed at Gaul) I made it to my hotel in Brussels for 8pm. I don't think I have ever been on so many trains, but for such a long journey it was actually pretty straight forward.
-
The next and final post will be my return visit to Walibi Belgium to re-ride Kondaa as many times as possible before leaving at 2pm to catch my flight back to Manchester.
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 20230420_160111.jpg
    20230420_160111.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_160407.jpg
    20230420_160407.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_095128.jpg
    20230420_095128.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_111342.jpg
    20230420_111342.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_125030.jpg
    20230420_125030.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_141216.jpg
    20230420_141216.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_142203.jpg
    20230420_142203.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_151219.jpg
    20230420_151219.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_145848.jpg
    20230420_145848.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_144843.jpg
    20230420_144843.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_144616.jpg
    20230420_144616.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230420_144610.jpg
    20230420_144610.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
Day Four: Walibi Belgium (21st of April)

The forth and final day was to be a quick stop off at Walibi Belgium as it is on my back to the airport from Brussels.

After visiting last year and being very impressed by the park overall I couldn't resist the opportunity of returning, even if it was only for a few hours.

20230421_105854.jpg

Funnily enough it has almost been an exact year to the day I have returned. As you can see the weather is on my side today.

20230421_123029.jpg
Today I was here to do one thing and one thing only - get as many re-rides on Kondaa as possible before 1:30pm. I arrived at the park for 11, which gave me 2 and half hours.

20230421_123137.jpg

Thanks to the single rider queue, the wait was never more than 10 minutes for me and I was lucky enough to score a few back row rides.

Kondaa was running beautifully, just how I remember it. A perfect balance of airtime, pacing, speed, moments of intensity and just pure re-ridable fun factor which keeps it firmly in my top 10.

The highlights are of course the first three elements, the first drop has some great airtime and laterals, the airtime hill has sustained ejector and it's the same result, but sideways with the outerbank.

While It's not everyone's cup of tea I love the little bunny hops at the end, gives the ride alot of character and makes for a chaotic finale.

It might be a controversial statement, but I actually prefer Kondaa in the front, the way you get "pushed" over those hills up front is really what makes it stand out.

IMG_20230421_164211_577.jpg

Intamin's new trains are second to none in my opinion a perfect balance of comfort and freedom, not to mention how quickly they can be dispatched. Once again the crew were smashing it with the operations, even on one train the queue was moving at a good rate.

20230421_113858.jpg

After getting 12 rides on Kondaa and stopping for a cornetto I had left Walibi Belgium ready for my flight back to Manchester.

Kondaa remains for me the best coaster in Belgium and in my eyes a coaster that has firmly held it's place as one of the best in Europe.

These past few days have been a blast and having ridden 3 World class coasters back to back this has been my favourite theme park trip in some time. Worth all the faff and then some.

Toutatis was the biggest highlight for me and as I earlier stated was every bit as awesome as I expected, I didn't picture being able to get 5 rides in either and Parc Astérix as a whole blew me away, such an amazing park that should of definitely been on my radar earlier.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading and I hope you're having a good day. 😀

Attachments

• 20230421_113720.jpg
    20230421_113720.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230421_120002.jpg
    20230421_120002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230421_112700.jpg
    20230421_112700.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: