What's new

Employee Killed by Monorail at Disney World

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8135156.stm

A monorail crash at the Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, has killed an employee of the theme park, officials say.

The accident happened at 0200 local time (0600 GMT) on Sunday, when two monorails reportedly collided in the Magic Kingdom section of the park.

No visitors were seriously injured, local fire department officials told WESH television station.

The monorail service was shut down after the accident.

Mike Griffin, a senior official at Walt Disney World, expressed condolences to the family of the killed employee, the Associated Press reports.

The victim's name was not immediately known.

Snoo

The Legend
19955770_320X180.jpg

marc

CF Legend
I think the driver does drive them there, that's a nasty accident can see that being shut for some time until they find out what happen. Good job no one else got hurt.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ouch! It's not surprising the guy was killed, he would have been badly injured.

What I want to know is why the person took the video instead of seeing if anybody was hurt! The things some people do in emergencies...

Ollie

CF Legend
Ouch. That looks pretty nasty. Weird that it happened on the last ride you'd expect it to happen on as well.

Ollie

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
Aren't those things self-driven and the driver is only there to monitor?

Read this that someone posted on TPR.
"Initially this sounds like MAPO system failure, and not pilot (human) error. The monorails are programmed to remain at least two blocks apart from each other, or about 500 to 1000 feet apart. When they come within two blocks of each other (regarded as a dangerous distance), I believe there's a system override feature which is supposed to apply emergency brakes.

It's all just speculation on my part, but it seems like that system failed. "

Swat

Hyper Poster
Surely the driver must have control over the train if a malfunction happen's. He wouldn't just sit there without attempting to slow the train down surely.

marc

CF Legend
From what I have been reading the driver does drive the train.

If he goes through a check point and the next section is not clear the train is meant to stop, this did not happen.

He probably did slam on the brakes when he saw the other train but trains do not stop like cars and they take some time to completly stop.

Thats my understanding anyway. But the drivers do drive these trains. "The monorail is rather simple to control: push the lever forward to control direction and speed; backward to reverse"

This is the 1st crash in 38 years of operation, and the rail will be shut until they understand what happened.

Disney are going to put in extra buses but getting from the car park to the Magic Kingdom is going to be a problem. It was either the rail or boat, even the Disney buses dropped you off at the car park. I suppose thats the least of their worries at the moment.

This explains a bit more.

http://www.dgshi.cn/content/200907/05694.html

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ciallkennett said:
What I want to know is why the person took the video instead of seeing if anybody was hurt! The things some people do in emergencies...

There will usually be plenty of people around for that sort of stuff though, and pictures/video could actually come in very useful later when they're working out what happened.

Ollie

CF Legend
You could see in the video there were already enough people trying to help. Even though it looked difficult as there was no way the could of got to the driver with the carriage in that state.

Is there going to be a news story about this on the CF home page at all?

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
'Realityland' by David Koenig is an awesome book and has a really good section on the monorails.

"Ride operators had to train for 80 hours to drive the monorail, and the vehicles themselves were equipped with an artillery of saftey mechanisms."

"A two-way radio sysetm kept the driver in contact with the maintenance barn. If a tire went flat, the vehicles were to glide to a gentle stop. To prevent a runaway train, the pilot had to hold down a "deadman's switch;" if the button was released, the monorail slowed to a stop."

"Most importantly, an anti-collision system would stop the vehicles if they got too close to each other.
"

However, this is not the first incident like this to happen. In 1974 a driver collided his empty Monorail Blue into Monorail Red (which was filled with 200 guests). This was in the Magic Kingdom station, and happened "before Monorail Red had a chance to leave." The driver had fatal injuries, and the train was only going 15 miles an hour. Obviously these trains aren't designed for impact for that slow speed to cause such catastrophe (unlike cars, for example).

Question is, how does that happen if the monorails are equipped with these saftey features?

Well, to the press the driver insisted that it was a brake failure, however, 'witnesses' heard him during his hospital stay talking about "overriding the automatic braking system". "He knew the locations of various switches and circuit breakers and how to gain normally locked electrical panels behind him. He also knew how the saftey circuits were wired. The kid was termed 'brilliant but bored.' He put a toothpick into a control console button to jam it into a held position while holding two controls with his hands. He removed a sock and shoe, twisted his leg back behind him into the electrical panel, and physically held a relay switch closed, thus defeating the wayside anti-collision signal commanding the train to stop as he drove past a red light into the train-ahead zone. He was a contortionist. He didn't realize the outiside of those monorails are made of Reynolds Wrap." These are words from the investigator for that particular case. According to Wikipedia, Reynolds Wrap has a thickness of "less than 0.2mm".

Post the incident, Disney got the two undamaged sides from the two trains, connected them together, painted the entire stirp blue and thus had a perfect monorail (to "minimize the press coverage"). The only other monorail collision to ever be reported at WDW was just after they opened, when maintance teams shut down the saftey system so monorails could get close together for an advertisement to be filmed. Unfortunately, the monorails ended up getting too close and "Monorails Blue and Yellow rolled into each other". Despite this just being a "roll", the entire front end of the monorails were destroyed. This surely shows how the thin chasis cannot cope with collision.

These are the only two incidents ever reported for monorail collisions, and they both have perfectly good explantations of why they happened. But none of them help us solve the issue of why this happened. I highly doubt the driver was attempting to overide the system at 2 in the mornign after July the 4th, with a (predictably) very busy train.

I feel so upset for the guy, it is such a terrible, terrible thing to happen. Fact is, it shouldn't have, and my money is on something causing the first ever failure to occur to the WDW monorail system. But what could impair Walt's flawless transportation system?

marc

CF Legend
There are so many storeis going round, people recon that they heard the radio communication but they are no allowed to say. Ollie you will know what that is like :)

If though the reports are true it sounds like a cock up in the control room. The driver was told the station was clear and he should over ride the saftey system, only it was not clear.

Maybe we will find out one day.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Those monorails must really take a long time to stop as the driver must have been able to see the other one parked in the station a good distance back. But I guess even a slow speed impact on one of those would still do a great deal of damage especially with the huge weight involved.

Maybe something happened to the driver as it appeared he was still in the cab when the impact happened. Its very sad to see especially when you can see the damage on video.

marc

CF Legend
If it was on override then it would have been going 15mph.

Have you ever been on an underground train when it has done and emergency stop? well years ago the driver all I can say is got his braking wrong into a station. He then must have really put the brakes on but we slid all the way through the station and stopped just entering the next tunnel.

Due to the wait of trains the back just pushes the train on, so even at 15mph it would still take a good 50 meters to stop that train. By then its top late.

I feel bad for the driver and his family. Reading reports of people that worked with him it was his dream to drive these trains and had only moved onto them a while ago.

I could post all the links I have read, but tbh most are on google in the news section.

Ahh yah I read about this on TPR yesterday.. So sad, too, like, who would think someone would be killed on a monorail? I'm sure it could have been worse, but it's still sad enough as it is.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Screamscape has posted the "explanation" of the incident.

It is quite long so I'll just post the link HERE.

In short, the driver of Monorail Pink thought that the track had been switched to the EPCOT line, but it hadn't, therefore when he reversed it crashed into Monorail Purple. Goes down to a really serious communication error.