What's new

Efteling (Kaatsheuvel, the Netherlands)

Willemijn

Roller Poster
Hi everyone.

I've not logged in on this forum in about 2 years. I tend to come here to read park guides and trip reports though. iirc I asked why the Dutch park the Efteling isn't on the park guides. I was told that the park guides are made by members of the site and with their photos. I've noticed that since then, the park guide still hasn't been added, so I can only assume that no one's been there, or no one's taken photos.

The Efteling is celebrating its 60th birthday this year, and since I hadn't been there in a very very long time, I thought it was about time I went for a visit. I did not take many photos, because I never take a camera with me to a theme park. The photos that I did take are iPhone photos, so I am not sure if the quality will be acceptable for use on the park guides section of the site. The other reason that I didn't take many photos, is because the queues were very short throughout the whole day, so we were too busy having fun and kinda forgot about taking photos. :oops: If however, these photos are good enough for the park guides (although I doubt it), feel free to use them.

The park started out as a "Fairy tale forest" in 1952. The original designer of this was the illustrator Anton Pieck. This Fairy tale forest is still an important part of the park, and many of the rides are based on fairy tales. There's a small museum in the park, where you can see some of the original drawings, among other things.
6280da8d.jpg

Even an ancient map of the park.
f15c95e6.jpg

I visited the Efteling with my brother and his gf, last friday. The double wooden rollercoaster "Joris en de draak" (George and the dragon) was up first. It wasn't a busy day and we'd arrived around opening time, so the queues were only 5 to 10 minutes. The two sides are called "Water" and "Vuur" (water and fire). First we went on Water, then Vuur. And as you'd expect, we lost both times... :lol: I really enjoyed this one though. Although I loved the Pegasus that used to be on this site, this new wooden coaster is a much smoother ride. And surprisingly quick. It feels much faster than Walibi's Robin Hood, even though its top speed is actually lower.

Part of Joris en de draak and De Vliegende Hollander.
d45904e9.jpg

Next up was "Python". Simple, but imho great layout of 2 loopings and a double corkscrew. From what I remembered from last time I was here, I was expecting the ride to be quite rough. It wasn't, and as I was wondering why, it suddenly dawned on me that the trains looked brand new. Quite similar to the one on Speed of Sound, at Walibi Holland. Turns out I was right, the Python has been treated to a set of new trains december last year.
A little bit of history: When Vekoma built this rollercoaster in 1981, its 750m length made it the longest rollercoaster on the European continent. It was not made in sections and then transported to the park, as they'd do nowadays, but it was welded on site.
6ce12694.jpg

"De Vliegende Hollander" (the Flying Dutchman) had been closed earlier, but after our ride on Python, we noticed it was now running, but without passengers... We decided to go have a look and there was a 15 minute queue, and it looked like they'd be letting passengers on any minute. Of course, the moment we got into one of the boats, the lights went on and the announcement was made that they were having technical difficulties. We were told we could remain seated though, and wait. Nothing to worry about really, as I've heard this happens quite a lot. In fact, according to most people I know who have been to the Efteling, we were lucky the ride was open in the first place. After 15 more minutes the problem was fixed and we were good to go. At first I wasn't sure it was a good idea to get front row seats in this one, but I was happy we did, as everyone else got quite wet, but we didn't. :lol:

De Vliegende Hollander, the lift hill is inside:
ad8bf655.jpg

After that we walked around for a bit and decided to go to "Halve Maen" (Half Moon). According to the sign, it's the world's largest ship swing (based on the capacity of 85 passengers). It is modeled after a Dutch East India Co. ship. It is one of the Efteling's icons and was built shortly after the Python.
df20594b.jpg

Next was the "Pagode", which is the park's observation tower, which offers a nice view of the park and surrounding area.
bc2032dc.jpg

The view, with the rollercoasters hiding between the trees:
56b91517.jpg

"Vogel Rok" was up next. This is an indoors (dark) rollercoaster based on the story of Sinbad and the bird Roc, from 1001 nights. The on board music and the wind and light effects make this one a fun ride.
79ac7f6b.jpg

We then spent some time doing the other attractions, such as the "Carnaval Festival", the "Droomvlucht" (dream flight) and "Villa Volta". Villa Volta was the first Vekoma madhouse in the world, but imho the theming is not as good as the ones in Walibi Holland and Alton Towers. It is based on the local legend of the buckriders. Sadly, there were too many screaming children to be able to hear the story.

Of course we could not resist "Monsieur Cannibale"... In fact, the tune is still stuck in my head... :lol:
aa117ac9.jpg

The "Bob" had been closed most of the morning, but as we walked into that area of the park, we could hear it was now operating, so we went there next. Just like the Python, this bobsled coaster has been treated to new cars since the last time I was here.

Next up was "Fata Morgana", a dark boat ride based on the stories of 1001 nights, and then "Piraña", river rapids ride with Mexican/Aztec theming. I didn't go on this one, as I didn't think the weather was good enough for it...
0585573c.jpg

After that we had some time left for a couple more rides of Python and Joris en de draak. As we made our way back to the entrance of the park, we were surprised by the amount of visitors that had accumulated to watch "Aquanura". It was too busy to take photos during the show though... :( Aquanura was built for the 60th anniversary of the park and is the largest fountain system in Europe. It is based on the fairy tale of the Frog Prince. During the weekend, the park stays opened longer, and I guess that's when Aquanura is best viewed, because of the light effects, which aren't that visible during the day. But even without the light effects, I was quite impressed and loved the way the fountains were timed to the music.

I did take this photo after it finished. Aquanura is situated in the pond next to Fata Morgana.
bbd9b2e9.jpg

nadroJ

CF Legend
Believe it or not we've actually had a Live at Efteling, but all of the photos are of us having fun in the park rather than park guide style photos, which I believe is why we haven't got a guide yet.

Anyway, great report, I adore Efteling and love seeing photos of it. I'd like to learn a bit more about its history too. It's probably the most magical and enchanting park I've ever been to, I love it!

Willemijn

Roller Poster
nadroJ said:
Believe it or not we've actually had a Live at Efteling, but all of the photos are of us having fun in the park rather than park guide style photos, which I believe is why we haven't got a guide yet.

Anyway, great report, I adore Efteling and love seeing photos of it. I'd like to learn a bit more about its history too. It's probably the most magical and enchanting park I've ever been to, I love it!
:lol: I am not surprised.. It was not until I got back home that I thought "I should have taken many more photos".

Personally I think the Efteling is the best themed park in Holland. I love the Anton Pieck style and how many of the rides are based on classic fairy tales and 1001 nights.
Apart from wikipedia (and some rather expensive books sold in the park), there isn't much history I can find in English. The park website has quite a bit of information about the history, but only in Dutch. When you switch the site to English, there isn't that much history to read at all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, great report. I love that we're getting a lot of slightly less well travelled parks visited and reported at the moment. It's great to get a feel for these parks and what a day trip to them is like.

Though it does make me jealous about not going to them :p

Willemijn said:
nadroJ said:
:lol: I am not surprised.. It was not until I got back home that I thought "I should have taken many more photos".

It's a mix of things to be honest. Writing the guides takes four things.
1. Personal experience at the park.
2. Lots of good photos.
3. The English ability to write the guides.
4. The technical ability to write the guides.
5. The time it takes to do 2, 3 and 4. I'm quite quick at the guides now, but a simple "five coaster park" is at least half a day's work, most of it is the sorting photos and deciding which rides to include and writing them up.

So even if we've got photos, it's hard to actually put together a decent guide. It's tough doing parks you've been to, doing ones you've never seen is near impossible - you just can't get excited about, say, a Pirate Ship. If you've been, you may mention the theming, or the noise, or something that can add a degree of interest to the page. Without it, you're just going "ANOTHER Pirate Ship!" [/Gavin] ;)

Willemijn

Roller Poster
I'd love to help. I don't think the English would be a problem. The technical stuff might be an issue though, as I don't really know what some of the ride types are called in English. (newbie problem, perhaps..?)

Let me know though if you'd like me to give it a go. Park map and logo I could download from the official website. Photos would be an issue though, because imho the ones I took with my iPhone camera are really bad...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately, to access the system to create a guide, you need to have complete access to the CF back end. That means you need to be very trusted as you could potentially rip the site apart - so it's reserved for people we've known on the site for some time who get "promoted", though that's not something that is completely out of the question for people who are dedicated :)

Willemijn

Roller Poster
Oooh ok. I get it now...
I thought other people could write it and that it just had to be checked and uploaded by a mod.
My bad.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, don't want to hijack the PTR for this, but I think it's useful to clear it up :)

We could do it written by others and then uploaded, but personally I find it incredibly depressing :lol: It's a lot of hard work to actually produce the guide and the most fun bit is the actual writing side of it - being creative. Otherwise it's just copy and pasting somebody else's fun and it's a little demoralising. It's hard to explain to somebody who hasn't produced one of these things :lol:

Look in "Team Talk" and there's the reviews thing there I've been chatting about recently. If you want to actually write a review and get it on the site, that's the easiest way and it shows off your ability to create content :)

Anyway, feel free to PM if you want to discuss it further and we'll let people talk about the trip and Efteling now :)

peep

CF Legend
Yay for Efteling. I really want to see this new water show, I just hope it's not like the show they added the other year (the name escapes me) which looked awesome but turned out to be a bit pants story wise.

Sounds like you had a fun time at the park but I think it's very hard not to enjoy Efteling. I must be very lucky, I've been to the park twice and never had a problem getting on The Flying Dutchman.

Willemijn

Roller Poster
I must say I quite liked Aquanura, even though we only saw the second half of it. I really want to go back later in the year to see this when it's dark. Currently it stays light till about 10 in the evening...

This is one of Eftelings official videos:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFpEwtFR7U[/youtube]

Nic

Strata Poster
Efteling <3 Great report too!

The donkey that **** out gold coins! :D

Glad to hear that DroomCred is back open, it sounded like it was terminal, and they might end up tearing it out at one point last year.

I'd also love to see Aquanura. I'd love to hear from someone who's seen other awesome similar shows (eg World of Colour etc) to see how it compares.

Thanks again for posting :)

Brookes

Giga Poster
Fantastic report. Efteling looks like a really intruiging park and I'd love to go some time. Your photos are great considering they are taken with a phone! The fountain show looks amazing as well. It seems a bit different to World of Color from the video as World of Color uses projection of characters. Is there a direct translation of "Aquanura"?

Nic

Strata Poster
Oh, not having bothere to watch the vids, I was sort of under the impression that Aquanura did use projection, but from that, I guess not. In that case, I guess the Bellagio fountains are a close comparison? (am I right in thinking that, at least those two, if not WoC too, were all made by the same company?) The Bellagio show is pretty spectacular, but rather short. But then, it does run every half an hour. How frequent is Aquanura?

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Willemijn said:
Personally I think the Efteling is the best themed park in Holland. I love the Anton Pieck style and how many of the rides are based on classic fairy tales and 1001 nights.

Make that Holland and Belgium. Efteling is a strong brand in Holland, but I know it is very popular in the Flemish part of Belgium. I think that if Belgium wouldn't have Walibi -which is one of the most popular brands in Belgium- Efteling would have easily beaten up the other Belgian parks such as Plopsa and Bobbejaanland.

However, Efteling is truely an amazing park that I visit once or twice per year. I think the park has the ideal mix of great and fun rides and a magical atmosphere that you can't find anywhere else. I don't know how it works for you Willemijn, but entering Efteling always brings up childhood memories for me. Remembering me as a 2 years old toddler, sitting in a stroller being terryfied for 'Draak Lichtgeraakt', being impressed by Python at the age of 6 but realizing you are still to small to ride it. And I as a child was very much afraid of Droomvlucht because of the dark section at the beginning of the ride.

Apart from that, I can also enjoy walking around in the park, hanging around in 'Het Sprookjesbos' and have a drink and a 'kroket' on a terrace at the Anton Pieckplein. Which I think is by far the most beautiful part of the park.

Anyway, thank you very much for your tripreport. I enjoyed it.