What's new

EDF Energy to sponsor London Eye

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
http://www.blooloop.com/PressReleases/M ... ergy-/2638

Merlin Entertainments (‘Merlin’), Europe’s leading attractions operator confirmed today that it has agreed a three year partnership for its premier attraction – the London Eye - with leading energy company, EDF Energy.

The partnership will give EDF Energy, the UK’s largest producer of low-carbon electricity, naming rights to the London Eye for the period of the contract and will allow both parties to maximise opportunities through joint marketing activity. The new partnership branding for the EDF Energy London Eye will be revealed later in January when the attraction reopens after its annual two week maintenance period.

A global icon, the London Eye provides a unique and very high profile international platform in the year leading up to 2012 and beyond. EDF Energy is a tier one sponsor and the first sustainability partner for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games; and the link with the London Eye will optimise the organisation’s visibility in the Capital.

Gareth Wynn, Director of London 2012 Programme, EDF Energy, said “Our partnership with the London Eye will be a powerful way to help EDF Energy communicate our vision of a low carbon future.

EDF Energy and Merlin share a commitment to sustainability and to engaging people to play their part in tackling climate change. We will be using our expertise as Britain’s largest generator of low carbon electricity to help lower the carbon footprint of the London Eye. Merlin’s expertise in providing a fantastic visitor experience will help us inspire people to do their bit for a more sustainable future”.

Commenting David Sharpe, Merlin Entertainments’ Divisional Director Midway London, said “Merlin is absolutely delighted to be partnering with an organisation of the quality and reputation of EDF Energy.”

‘We have always believed that working with the London Eye offered unique and compelling opportunities for the right partner.

The London Eye is one of Merlin’s premier attraction brands and recognised internationally as a 21st century symbol for modern Britain, and a global icon. It has therefore always been very important to us that any agreement, particularly if it involves naming rights, is with an organisation which not only reflects the same values as our own, but which also brings something extra to the party like environmental expertise. In EDF Energy we believe we have found the perfect partner, and we very much look forward to working with them in the future.”

So, Orange and Purple eh?

The Metro had a report as well on what locals think of the idea...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/852064-edf- ... on-twitter

EDF Energy London Eye sparks backlash on Twitter
Twitter users have expressed their distaste for the renaming of the London Eye as the EDF Energy London Eye following sponsorship from the energy company.

Twitter users emphatically rejected the new name for the iconic wheel in no uncertain terms.

MatthewGidley tweeted: 'The London Eye is being given a new name. "EDF Energy London Eye". Has a nice ring to it. Fetch my pistol?'

While paulmcgarryuk mused: 'London Eye to be renamed EDF Energy London Eye. Next up is "the Coca Cola Buckingham Palace" or "the Irn Bru Houses of Parliament."'

This will be the fourth name in 11 years for the London ride, which was originally called the Millenium Wheel.

French-owned gas and electricity company EDF have signed a three-year sponsorship deal thought to be worth about £8 million, the London Eye is used by 3.5 million tourists each year.

Some Twitter users pointed out however that whatever the wheel's official name Londoners are free to call it what they like.

ItsPaulWallace said: 'People who are up in arms about the London Eye being renamed the EDF Energy London Eye do know they can call it anything they want, right?', with manicvic adding: 'I'm still going to call it the big Ferris Wheel in London.'

peep

CF Legend
Yeah I saw this in the paper on the way home this evening, it made me lol. It just seems so pointless. By the sound of it EDF Energy are just going to be making it a big advertising thing for the company, however in doing so they are also going to be promoting the eye in their campaigns?

I don't think it's going to really change anything and people are still going to call it whatever they want, just like some peeps mentioned in that Metro piece.

Ben

CF Legend
I like how all the people cry about sponsorship, like it's the first time...

ba-eye-logo.gif

jokerman

Giga Poster
This time though, people will be complaining that it's a major British landmark being sponsored by a French company.

As long as the design isn't too garish I don't mind.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
British Airways wasn't entirely sponsorship, they also owned it...

On the EDF thing... Does anyone really care that much? Sure there'll be orange stuff added in (which will probs look crap with the purple), but it won't make people stop going unless they're quite simply, pathetic...

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
People go on it to get views of London, not to look at the structure of the wheel. Well, okay, most tourists do take countless photos of the structure, but...yeah. If anyone decides not to go on it because of the possible awful colours then they should be shot.

I don't really care about the EDF sponsor. Whatever sponsor it gets it'll still always just be a really big wheel next to the lovely Thames.