Easter in China PTR: Part 12 - Oriental Heritage

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 10 - Nanjing S**te

gavin said:
Jinshan Temple Showdown – though here it had a different English name – is one of their better attractions and I’ll always make an effort to ride it.

VgdNckl.jpg
What actually is it?

gavin said:
It’s fab, though the “story” – some clowns steal some eggs from a bird, then give them back at the end – was a bit cack. I took a bit of video anyway since it’s much clearer what the “bubble ballet” actually is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UJ8DcO4M8[/youtube]
That's rather mesmerising actually. Definitely looks better in the video that in the pictures, so thanks for sharing that!

Another good installment Gavin. It's a shame about the rain, but I suppose that's just one of those things.

gavin said:
Final park next. Spoiler: the weather was still f**king s**t and I didn’t get the Gravity Group woodie.
Oh dear! I want to say I look forward to hearing about it, but not because I'm glad you got spited! :lol: You know what I mean - I look forward to reading about the final park!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 11 - Fantawild

Jinshan Temple Showdown starts as a boat ride through a Chinese village, with screens and live actors showing what's happening inside the houses. There's some kind of dragon/spirit thing.

After the boat ride - the boat is huge by the way, holding over s hundred people - there's a fight between the two main characters, which ends with craploads of water flooding the whole scene.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Oh right, well that sounds pretty epic!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

As mentioned, I decided to keep the newest park until the next day, hoping that the weather would improve; it didn’t. I still went since I didn’t really have any choice in the matter regarding trying again since I was leaving early the next day. I hoped the weather might improve later, but it never did.

One good thing, I guess, about Fantawild is that the majority of their attractions are indoors. Well, unless you’re interested in knockoff flat rides anyway. Obviously, this doesn’t help in getting coasters, but it doesn’t mean that the whole day is necessarily wasted, as it would be at many parks, since there’s still plenty to do.

Oriental Heritage

This was the second of the Oriental Heritage brand I’ve done, having missed out on the one in Ningbo by a couple of weeks. It was, for the most part and as to be expected, very copy and paste.

No0NLkJ.jpg

I had the exact same ticket faff that I’d had at the second park. My 3-park ticket wouldn’t scan and the staff were absolutely clueless as to what to do. Despite having staff cards to scan that would’ve let me through, they still made me wait around for ages while they all deliberated and examined my ticket as if it was some ancient Egyptian artifact before eventually calling over a manager. Pisstake, yet totally indicative of Fantawild.

yidxffT.jpg

jRjOvwC.jpg

Jungle Trailblazer was closed, which I was fully expecting, but I was still pretty gutted. The rain didn’t stop for the whole day, so I’ve got no idea if it would’ve opened had the rain stopped later. It looks to be the best of the bunch in my opinion, with the guys at Gravity Group describing it as an amped up version of Fireball in Shanghai, which is already a fantastic coaster.

Ct5GbV1.jpg

G1r2Vad.jpg

Since it’s built right up to one side of the park, there aren’t many vantage points to get pictures of it from inside. I realized, much later and after I’d left, that you would be able to see more of it from a car park at the side.

K0KncFg.jpg

XzLToje.jpg

Despite their general cloning, Fantawild have, for the most part, gone with unique layouts for their woodies though as more of them appear, I think we’ll start seeing more cloned layouts.

fNPGcQl.jpg

oOceEOi.jpg

The Tune Tour is Fantawild’s version on It’s a Small World, only focusing on different aspects of Chinese culture rather than different countries.

G71DXP1.jpg

It’s f**king dire. I’d done the one at their Jinan park just a few weeks after opening, and most of the animatronics were f**ked. This one was no different.

lqLzkxJ.jpg

I feel personally offended that they just haven’t bothered to address the issues with this. No doubt the newer parks - though the two parks I’ve done were brand new anyway – will still just shove these in with all the existing problems. I’m hoping that, as with their screen-based rides, their animatronics improve, but at the moment, Fantawild are just piss-poor in this area.

I’ve forgotten the name of this ride now, and don’t have the park map to check, but it’s a large 4D dark ride.

JJZT32t.jpg

OumH3sM.jpg

Instead of the smaller cars with more movement, this one has much bigger cars, holding loads more people, that don’t move as much.

syR0ICJ.jpg

oeLYZqD.jpg

As with the other Oriental Heritage I’d visited, and I’m assuming all the others which are opening, there was an indoor Golden Horse mine train. Being indoors it was open, so CRED!

aFejVhj.jpg

3TREUue.jpg

bHRRrNO.jpg

Most people probably wouldn’t realise since it’s indoors, but having this ride here means that they’ve got two Golden Horse mine trains built over three parks, just a few miles from each other. Even the trains are “mine train” themed.

eBUNceI.jpg

MEOha9H.jpg

kX7d6N8.jpg

The other park had also had a totally unthemed splashboat right next to the indoor coaster. They look awful in such otherwise well-themed parks. Nope.

XGFS8j7.jpg

Closed. Not bothered.

bdvYToj.jpg

GzV70pB.jpg

Another knockoff Flying Circus. As with most Chinese knockoffs, there are probably now more of these than the originals.

zzJrEyV.jpg

I didn’t do the rapids; the Fantawild versions are s**t.

TV6QDzr.jpg

Another huge dark ride then, this time based around Chinese music.

2blpCDH.jpg

The huge vehicles, think of that Energy Adventure thing at Epcot, first travel through a Chinese town with various forms of Chinese music/theatre being performed on screens. At the end, the cars rotate on a platform to see a 360° 3D screen. It was a faff to get going since the 3D glasses are in pockets in the cars, clearly one set for each person, but people are stupid and crammed too many people onto each row, then realised they didn’t have glasses and had to have extras handed out. Plus, it’s only the final, rotating section that’s in 3D, which is explained on a sign on the glasses pocket, but most people didn’t notice this and wore them, pointlessly, through the whole thing.

a0QDITE.jpg

FgMxQqH.jpg

DYz3Hj4.jpg

Legend of Nuwa is another 4D dark ride and (I think) Fantawild’s 3rd iteration of the ride type, following Dino Rampage and Wizards Academy. It’s the best of the three, though it also means that each of the three parks (so far) in Wuhu have one of these.

RUDIaVr.jpg

PmiblJV.jpg

The pagoda houses a shot/drop tower.

UFpmmQM.jpg

blzVh8H.jpg

I’d seen the exterior of Devil’s Peak at two (or three?) previous parks, but they hadn’t been open at that stage.

blzVh8H.jpg

MsFTL8J.jpg

This one, however, was. I’m assuming that all the others are now as well. It’s Fantawild’s take on the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride system. The throughput was absolutely horrendous. It’s not a continuous system like the original, so they (very, very slowly) load three cars at a time, after faffing with putting bags in lockers at the far end of the platform. I think I worked the throughput out at about 80 people an hour at best.

peUKrad.jpg

The ride itself was better than I expected. It was a mix of real sets and screens, though the screens were poor which was surprising since on most of their rides, the newer ones especially, they’re excellent. The vehicles had a much better range of movement than I expected, but you could clearly see the track they were on a lot of the time, and any attempts at “surprises” didn’t work because Fantawild are just crap at animatronics and you could see everything coming a mile away.

Bollocks:

6t3FotF.jpg

3D show about China, which Hong Kong and Taiwan would go apes**t over to see their inclusion.

KCgPehx.jpg

Some new stuff. No idea what this will be:

RjaPQw6.jpg

This next one’s a theatre. The other parks have a huge show (Lady Something) which is amazing; I’m guessing this will be a copy although the building is different.

ql0haoV.jpg

Butterfly Lovers in another projection/live actor show, only with this one the audience are seated all around the stage instead of viewing it end on, meaning that there are actually 4 projection screens with the actors in the middle.

hJQNoSl.jpg

I don’t seem to have a picture of the outside, or at least I haven’t uploaded one, but this park had another tilting-seat dome thing. Yeah, it’s a different theme/story, and it’s much better than the one at the Adventure park, but it’s much more obviously an identical ride type than some of the other copy-across-the-park rides, like the 4D dark rides for example.

7nsJe3h.jpg

AsLXWb0.jpg

I got a taxi to drop me off in the city centre and I walked back to my hotel since I’d seen nothing of the city. Meh, quite frankly. I’m sure it would be better if the weather was nicer. Wuhu means “weedy lake”; you’re welcome.

YoZR3bu.jpg

laPgX4X.jpg

iHR04Y6.jpg

54yzgDH.jpg

tr5bUkK.jpg

VAr077B.jpg

nuhmvNj.jpg

I splashed out a bit on a decent hotel for the last few nights, which was still fairly cheap. To be fair, all of the hotels on this trip had been decent bar a couple of generic Ibis/Holiday Inn places, which were still actually fine.

3MMDApN.jpg

I couldn’t find the Catholicism Church next to the hotel.

kbGzNnc.jpg

I had a flight back to Hong Kong the next day from Nanjing Airport – Wuhu doesn’t have one – which was pretty far from Wuhu but is luckily quite far south of Nanjing, making it relatively easy. There are regular buses, but I couldn’t be f**ked to find out where from, so got the hotel to book a taxi, figuring that getting one in the street might not be the best idea since it was pretty far.

It’s disappointing about Jungle Trailblazer since Wuhu isn’t a place I’d be in a rush to get back to, and is a bit of a pain in the arse to get to really. Having said that, Oriental Heritage is already in the process of adding two major new attractions, and there are rough plans for even more parks – though no idea how those will pan out since Fantawild have already exhausted their entire ride catalogue, with repeats, across the existing three - so if I’m still around a few years down the line when that happens, who knows?

The trip on the whole was ok despite missing out on two major coasters thanks to weather and a park I’d hoped to be open by that point still a few weeks away. Having said that, the general area, which once would have been the “must-go-to” area for coasters in China, thanks to the likes of Dinosaur Park and Joyland, is probably less interesting these days when looking at the development of parks across the country as a whole. I hadn’t included Shanghai though, so I guess including that the area becomes much more of a “must-do” kind of place, and the generally close concentration of cities and parks makes it more attractive I guess.

And done.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Man, that park does look wet! It's a shame that Jungle Trailblazer was closed, but like you say you may well find there'll be an excuse to go back at some point.

As always, thanks for taking the time to write the report and post the pictures and things. It's great to see!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Cheers Gavin, as per usual it's great to see these parks which are still a few years from being on my visit list.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The whole report was a treat to read, has been pretty diverse in terms of content and has included 4 parks I've been wanting to know more about.
Are Fantawild Dreamland, Adventure and Oriental heritage the only three park 'styles' the chain have reeled out across the country?
If you ever go to Shanghai this year I'll be looking forward to the PTR :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Pink Panther said:
Are Fantawild Dreamland, Adventure and Oriental heritage the only three park 'styles' the chain have reeled out across the country?

Basically.

Their first park was called Fantawild Sci-Fi Theme Park - a name they've never repeated - but it's basically one of their "Adventure" parks in content. It's quite a bit smaller in size, shoved in the corner of a retail park, but it's crammed full of the usual "Adventure" rides except for the coasters.

There's a random Fantawild Theme Park, Fantawild Dream Kingdom and Nantong Adventure Land I haven't been to, and RCDB doesn't have pictures of them, but I'd guess that they'd also to be along the lines of an "Adventure" park.

They have Dream Land in Iran as well, which doesn't use the Fantawild name at all (no idea about in park), but is clearly an "Adventure" park.

The "Adventure" parks are the oldest. Even the new ones which still pop up have the same older rides. It seems to me that at the newer parks, the screen quality is often better than the older ones, but otherwise the rides are the same. The coasters are all Golden Horse knockoffs.

The "Dreamland" parks are a big step up, both in terms of overall theming/aesthetic and ride quality. They have some similar ride types to the Adventure parks, but with different themes and updated in terms of the tech. There are also some totally different ride types that the Adventure parks don’t have. They also often have coasters from Gravity Group, Vekoma, and Maurer.

The “Oriental Heritage” parks – only 3 open at the moment with another one due sometime this year – are, again, another step up. The theme is very different as well, with everything being based on Chinese culture rather than the sci-fi and fantasy themes of the other two.

If you ever go to Shanghai this year I'll be looking forward to the PTR

Scroll down the page, ya pleb. :wink:

http://forums.coasterforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39422

david morton said:
Can tell you lurve those Fantawild parks the most.

I’m just getting a bit tired of them, especially the Adventure parks which are just full of the exact same thing and always feel a bit bland and run-down compared to the other types.

Their operations are just s**t as well, though to be fair it’s not an issue for a lot of rides/shows since they have large capacities.

However, they run most (all) of their coasters on one train, holding people outside the station until the platform has cleared and other random crap. I’ve only seen one of their mine trains - the one from the Oriental Heritage park written about here - run with two trains and operated to anywhere near a decent standard. It gives me hope that maybe they run their woodie like that, but I would doubt it based on the chain as a whole.

Other rides with smaller cars, like their 4D dark rides and multi-motion dark rides, just can’t get enough cars going around the ride at the same time – unlike the Universal versions which hammer thousands of people through - which can lead to long waits.

Then you’ve got, essentially, the same narratives running through the rides. They’re always a battle between good and evil. It’s no different to having Spiderman and Transformers at the same resort I guess, but when you’ve got so many of these rides all in basically the same place, it starts to get very, very monotonous.

If I hadn’t done so many of them, I’d be seeing it all differently; I’m just getting bored.