What's new

Easter in China PTR: Part 12 - Oriental Heritage

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
For the Easter Holiday, I decided to do a few Chinese cities that I hadn’t visited before, some as definite cred-runs, and a couple that had a bit more to them. I’d done something similar the same time two years and told myself that I wouldn’t do more than a long weekend in mainland China again, but decided to just get it done. It was actually fine, with very little faff for the most part.

I did a few cities around the Shanghai area, without actually going into Shanghai as I’d done it over a long weekend just a few months earlier, starting by flying into Ningbo. Originally, this was partly because I wanted to get to the new Oriental Heritage park there which I’d hoped would be open by then, but I just missed out on it since it’s actually opening at the end of this week. Fantawild F**kers.

To be honest, it was a bit of a relief since it looked like a bit of a pain to do. I would have done it after leaving Ningbo, taking all my luggage with me, and then headed on to the next city, Hangzhou, from there. In reality, it’s not really that close to either one, and I think, with it being so new, it would have been a nightmare trying to find a taxi driver who had a clue what/where it was.

I’ll likely try and do it as a day trip from Shanghai at some point later. There’s another park, with two coasters, very close to it, but I wasn’t going to make the effort just for that with an almost open park a mile away that will need a revisit anyway. The new Six Flags park is also getting built pretty much directly opposite, on the Shanghai side of the bay, though that’s not due for at least a couple of years yet.

Anyway, I arrived in Ningbo late since my flight times had been chnaged, so just went to the hotel. Originally, I should have arrived around 6pm, but it ended up being closer to midnight. This was fine though. The airline had e-mailed the changed flight times a couple of weeks previously, and it meant I could go home after work and relax for a bit rather than hauling luggage to work and going straight to the airport from there.

The next morning I took a taxi out to Ertong Park, or Children’s Park. Taxi drivers seemed to be clueless as to where it was, but it’s right next to a big aquarium, so I just told one to go there.

Ertong Park

Like I said, it was next to this big aquarium, which I didn’t go into.

m3o0HdL.jpg

qqyNi5K.jpg

The park itself was just a typical city park with some rides. I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

xP7am9O.jpg

VHv0RLY.jpg

INlg0ob.jpg

rvAKWJh.jpg

rUG4Utp.jpg

Just the one coaster here: a Chinese Big Apple. I’m becoming less and less inclined to go out of my way for the +1s these days, but this place had no pictures or info on RCDB, so there was the curiosity factor I guess. There’s always the chance that there’s an unknown cred at these sorts of places. There wasn’t. Meh.

1zlHK2V.jpg

DV5EkRu.jpg

nbtZfli.jpg

LOwANWq.jpg

It was back to a taxi and onto a more major park. I’d originally been in two minds whether to bother with this place since there was only one coaster and it was pretty far out of the city. Since Oriental Heritage was off the table though, and taxis are cheap, I decided to get it done. If I’d done some proper research, I’d have known that an extension of the Metro system had just opened last month, with a station not too far from the park. As it is, Google Maps hasn’t yet been updated to include this extension. Ah well.

Harborland

5UlyDrm.jpg

JzxjZsf.jpg

This place looked dead from outside, but it was actually packed with kids on school trips. This would be a common theme for a fair few places. Mostly, it wasn’t a problem as the school trips consisted mainly of young kids who weren’t riding any major stuff, but at this place it was all teenagers. Because of this, I ended up only riding the cred and not bothering with anything else.

The coaster, Flight of the Phoenix, is the “old” Intamin 8-inversion model. Thorpe basically just asked them to add two more inline twists to get the 10-inversion one.

zv9VStg.jpg

ECv96LK.jpg

This actual coaster was built in 2006 though, so even though the design is older, the 10-inversion version was built earlier than this particular coaster. Strange choice to go for 8 in that case as I can’t see the cost being drastically different and the footprint is pretty much identical.

I’ll just throw in some pictures of other stuff in the order they were taken/uploaded.

Mpqt7Ju.jpg

kHNFexx.jpg

lCJF9X5.jpg

Quite a bit of the indoor stuff seemed to be closed, or it might have been on a schedule I guess since it was probably show-based.

F52vnsq.jpg

BurgUgn.jpg

ZkkCfjg.jpg

gsAo8ik.jpg

There was a decent enough collection of flat rides, all Chinese knockoff, but I didn’t ride any thanks to big queues and not really being interested

QV9nTed.jpg

aukR5Kb.jpg

Hyu32Sm.jpg

pvyoMPR.jpg

zQIKRyx.jpg

jK2xuQC.jpg

When you can’t find a picnic table…

7T7ot1R.jpg

HXuRD7W.jpg

I had a look in here just to see what it was really. It was just a room full of those optical illusion photo op things.

irj8mbc.jpg

Obligatory Chinglish sign:

161iznN.jpg

RZSJzFX.jpg

I didn’t do the rapids. I tend to skip most of them in China these days. They’re mostly not very good, but have stupid jets of water spraying all over them. A lot of people on here seem to think that the wetter you get, the better the rapids are. Those people are retards.

CYaJEbo.jpg

The coaster then. As it was very busy, they were obviously running one train. I waited about an hour for it.

822tFZV.jpg

DNS2P3N.jpg

JiA0LDS.jpg

FTI53Ro.jpg

It was fine. I’ve never personally had an issue with Colossus, though I’d say this was definitely a bit smoother.

u1WMMj1.jpg

LLmLLOg.jpg

Lh0UO2A.jpg

Lh0UO2A.jpg

42LUcLI.jpg

gXZmcAg.jpg

eh0QuN7.jpg

So yeah, this place was fine for a small local park really, and at least the sole coaster was a substantial one. I’d arrived just after ten and got out a couple of hours later to get to the next park for the afternoon. I’ll stick that up in the next part of the report though since there’s quite a lot more to it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 1 - Ningbo Pt1

Can you just stop doing so many reports from all these exciting places? :lol:

Another nice little read! Some of the theming in Harbourland reminds me of something, but I just can't place it.
I feel like this looks very similar to something from another park (especially the face), any ideas or am I just going crazy? :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Yes, that's it! I was thinking of this:

tourists-in-parc-asterix.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

As I said in the last part, I had another park that I wanted to do, so left Harborland around lunchtime and got a taxi back into the city for the next place.

Romon U-Park

This place was quite a weird one. It just opened last year and is basically one huge Lotte World ripoff, with a large indoor area connected via a bridge to the outdoor area. The taxi dropped me off next to the outdoor area. There is an entrance there, but it was closed. I didn’t see any rides running and the area was dead, which was worrying.

Even the sign and mascots are very Lotte World:

ikCdFu8.jpg

Some pictures I took from outside the park. The yellow thing, Dragon Legend, is a Maurer launched X-car. From what I could tell, it was basically a mirror clone of Freischutz at Bayern Park.

BcBsVoy.jpg

7nrQXtr.jpg

As with Lotte World, there’s a large castle.

ocY5hoe.jpg

M2vvlpb.jpg

I was convinced the place was closed, but made my way over to the main entrance.

41sKDQa.jpg

Open!

5VpCope.jpg

Considering how busy Harborland was, it was surprising to see this place so quiet. It got a little busier later in the afternoon, and there were a few school trips consisting of really young kids, so they weren’t riding any of the bigger stuff.

TzrAJoW.jpg

There was some show going on as I arrived. Again, the large stage area at one end was very Lotte World.
cj7Udq0.jpg

owSM33A.jpg

0e3gjqJ.jpg

This globe thing was pretty cool. It was made completely from LEDs. It would just show random stuff mostly, but during any shows, there was a live feed which showed on the globe.

uW5bqYn.jpg

2ns05GK.jpg

ewtrNzl.jpg

Sooooooo Lotte World:

LeIlr2j.jpg

There’s a coaster inside, Euro Express.

5FlLw3n.jpg

qUf78Ec.jpg

IGCtfTJ.jpg

I hadn’t seen it running, so was worried it might be closed, but there was no problem. On my first ride, I was literally the only person anywhere near it. They made me wait a few minutes for other people, but when nobody came just sent me off by myself. Pretty good really since other parks would have insisted on waiting however long it took to get more riders.

BRCAmLF.jpg

hdagTU1.jpg

It’s basically Kanonen, but with a cable lift and drop instead of the launch. I hate Kanonen, but actually liked this. I think it’s because Kanonen is sold as a launch coaster, but the launch is s**t. The drop on Euro Express was decent. Also, the trains had lapbars, which was a lot better than the awful neck-chopper things on Kanonen. Decent(ish) theming doesn’t hurt either.

oq5mwn0.jpg

m3y8UqA.jpg

The monorail, unsurprisingly as with Lotte World’s, has stations in the indoor and outdoor sections. It wasn’t using the outdoor section though – there’s a switch track - so just id a circuit of the indoor area.

9WQkgy8.jpg

KbBQ8Cn.jpg

More Euro Express pictures:

kVQkRdz.jpg

3tGDmBI.jpg

LgIZgnx.jpg

cgfIANw.jpg

There was a decent enough log flume here too.

2aAkOoy.jpg

More stuff in the indoor section.

uvoq101.jpg

FwkFmZT.jpg

fR55Q8V.jpg

All so very familiar…

cXboCZf.jpg

IuOdWDB.jpg

OqrkUV7.jpg

OSMfldp.jpg

9JYwPRe.jpg

fzIkNn2.jpg

Another of those optical illusion photo things. That’s something else I’ve noticed about China. You’ll sometimes see something which is fairly unique, that you haven’t seen at another Chinese park, but then you’ll soon discover that every f**king park in that city/area will have one.

Eq3wTdu.jpg

Haven’t tried one of these before; it was pretty vile. Can’t remember what it was called now. Seemed to be original rather than knockoff though since that would fit with the rest of the rides and the fact that I haven’t seen one in a Chinese park before. It seemed very “Zamperla” but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

Oj12z60.jpg

Someone else actually riding the coaster apart from me!

ll1PWUO.jpg

This was a horror walkthrough. Or maybe I should call it a MAZE to piss Lofty off. This MAZE wasn’t a great MAZE. It followed the usual Chinese MAZE style of being a much too dark MAZE to actually see very much, with a few piss-poor quality animatronics around the MAZE.

5tZzW2s.jpg

Since I’d seen nothing running, and the monorail was diverted from going out there, I thought that the outdoor section was likely closed. Nope. Open. It was really dead out there though. It was actually pretty cold, so the few people that were in the park stayed mostly inside.

The giant frisbee is an actual Huss model, so I gave it a go.

EKiKmvb.jpg

ZS18qMR.jpg

wa9Dy8f.jpg

I’ve seen this view somewhere before, when moving from an indoor to an outdoor section of the park…

c0BMiVJ.jpg

Dragon Legend was open, but I literally saw nobody riding it. As with Euro Express, they got me to wait a few minutes before just sending me off by myself. It’s not easy to get pictures of from inside the park really. When I got a taxi out later, it went around the back of the island and there was a much better view. I just didn’t think to bother walking around there though.

w1UCkFs.jpg

QyS48BT.jpg

Like I said, it’s basically Freischutz. I didn’t rate that, and this was no different. It was themed better though I guess.

There was a rapids ride which I rode, alone, since it was there and didn’t seem to have stupid water jets from what I could see.

OcSaOVH.jpg

6siBOv3.jpg

It was alright really. Short, and not too wet, which was god since it was cold.

Again, fair play to this place on running rides with no people. You’d be hard pushed to find many parks that would run a top spin with only one rider, let alone a park in China.

yVlkUYW.jpg

YQPbC0O.jpg

It would be interesting to see how they run this place on a busy day. I’d like to think it would actually be decent. They were using two trains on the Intamin for example, even though it was dead, and were happy to run things with just one rider.

zxxtKj8.jpg

The shot/drop tower was an S&S. It wasn’t that tall, but was run on both shot and drop modes in one cycle, making it better than most.

ZBcxzkT.jpg

Heading back inside.

IYsInEH.jpg

VlLigmN.jpg

I guess I only stayed outside for about half an hour, during which time I got in 3 rides on Dragon Legend, alone each time, plus a ride each on the frisbee, tower and rapids.

MBPEJw7.jpg

I thought these gondola things might have been an interesting dark ride. Nope, they just move around a small, Venetian-themed food area. Wasted my time getting on one without bothering to check first.

HW6bSq3.jpg

rNVk3D0.jpg

I was back just in time for the parade. Oh joy. To be fair, it was pretty decent really, with a custom soundtrack and plenty of floats/performers. It seemed that everyone at the park suddenly appeared for it, then disappeared again - f**k knows where - right after.

axOl3N5.jpg

SfH4ljv.jpg

MwAvgao.jpg

hxEGkEI.jpg

LPY2VlS.jpg

AWY3c2Q.jpg

It was nice that they got park guests involved, by letting some be part of the parade by riding this float, and also, near the end, getting kids to come onto the parade route to dance with the performers.

Fn8diJJ.jpg

pfgzCJM.jpg

There was a real effort involved, unlike other Chinese parades I’ve seen which consist of awful quality floats and bored, Russian hookers in ratty costumes with looks on their faces suggesting that whoever trafficked them over had just killed their family.

rb28yKR.jpg

Throwing a few more pictures in.

ATL5Odd.jpg

PC8GOAt.jpg

0mD0qJP.jpg

BDoamTR.jpg

I finished off with another couple of rides on Euro Express, easily the best ting here. Again, I was surprised how much I liked this given how much I detest Kanonen.

bRiloWM.jpg

pFaKPNR.jpg

juAKvxF.jpg

JSdKVhF.jpg

Jz47PzS.jpg

Wx8BIIc.jpg

People!

Xg4kMjA.jpg

FQcFLZg.jpg

Caught another show on the indoor stage on the way out. Yeah, mime acts can just f**k right off.

uQLpU3o.jpg

EMlhAUf.jpg

I grabbed a taxi from the same place I’d been dropped off at to get me back to the area I was staying.

iagimHZ.jpg

I liked Romon U. I liked that there was clearly a huge effort involved to create a nice park. Even though it was dead, it still had a nice atmosphere, especially the indoor area, and they were running everything even though there were so few people there.

It was also a bit weird though. All the rides were original, with no Chinese knockoffs that I could see (not sure on the rapids, log flume, pirate ship – didn’t think to have a proper look), yet they’ve blatantly ripped-off the entire aesthetic and layout of Lotte World.

I was staying in the Tianyi Square area of Ningbo, so I had a quick look around and got something to eat before going back to the hotel.

ZSKHaJU.jpg

iXjEOt9.jpg

ykNaJny.jpg

pCKc0Fw.jpg

Ia2DVHJ.jpg

aIsGrDN.jpg

Meh.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Looks like a nice little park. I did a bit of research on what that disc-on-a-stick could be, and found nothing European or American. My guess is a custom Chinese ride. If not, I'd say it's either Fabbri or Moser.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 2 - Romon U-Park

I honestly don't think it's Chinese. It wouldn't fit with the rest of the rides, which are all European. Plus, Chinese companies just don't do unique-style rides.

I'm sure I've seen one pop up in another trip report somewhere, maybe a German fair or something.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Cool! I saw a POV of Dragon Legend a while ago and though it was interesting it used the launch track as the break run. I don't know much about Lotte World apart form it gets a huge amount of visitors. Is it much bigger than Romon U Park?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Lotte's outside is noticeably larger. The inside sections seem similar in size on the surface, but Lotte is definitely bigger since they use more levels and have whole, huge rides that are hidden from view.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

As I mentioned earlier, the original plan would have been to leave the hotel in Ningbo in the morning, head to Oriental Heritage and the park near it, then go from there to the next city in the evening. However, since Oriental Heritage was still a few weeks from opening, that idea went out the window.

I thought about having a day, or at least the morning, to have a bit of a look around Ningbo, but from what I’d seen from the taxis the previous day, and from a quick internet search, there didn’t seem to be anything worth bothering with. Instead, I had a bit of a lie in, knowing that I wasn’t going to get another one, checked out of the hotel and headed to the train station, getting to the next city, Hangzhou, in the early afternoon.

Since I was here earlier than planned, I decided to knock of one of the parks.

Hangzhou Paradise

I got here about 90 minutes before closing, which was plenty of time since there were only 2 coasters here.

DLa9YtX.jpg

The ferris wheel was actually outside the park, so I didn’t bother.

9eO4c1Y.jpg

Water park on the left, amusement park on the right.

nYjf3Ok.jpg

A glorious landscape of Chinese knockoffs.

1m4hhAT.jpg

They had the same model of knockoff frisbee that I’d seen at Harborland, much bigger (in terms of the number of seats anyway) than most other Chinese versions.

BxxhsUu.jpg

The parade was rather sad.

VwOGvi8.jpg

Behold one of the worst coasters I’ve ever ridden.

bxeLGgo.jpg

uKG8Nl1.jpg

pgYZrri.jpg

JkFZem7.jpg

I’d done 3 of these Beijing Shibaolai inverts, including the prototype, but this one seemed worse than the others. Admittedly, I rode the prototype when it was new; every more recent report is less then complimentary. The newer Version 2 model seemed relatively ok as well. Not good, of course, but a slight improvement.

This thing was about as smooth as Michael J. Fox eating M&Ms with wet chopsticks.

tgHtcc7.jpg

unTXtsj.jpg

4Caoa0Z.jpg

ptViu5m.jpg

It actually looked quite nice though. A newish paint job, decent viewing angles etc.

sTZaiaB.jpg

DbnmPjr.jpg

slNpDSG.jpg

I didn’t get a picture, but they actually had a whole padded backrest thing strapped to each seat, which had the effect of making you sit awkwardly further forward with the restraints locking at a bit of a weird angle rather than sitting flat across your chest. Some guy in front – not particularly big - had to have the padding taken off to have enough room for the restraint to lock.

4AKADGK.jpg

F5yH1z9.jpg

CAduXoQ.jpg

C9DC1rI.jpg

Didn’t do the splashboat. I won’t bother with 90% of them now.

o7Artvi.jpg

xiDxzCr.jpg

They had cable cars which went up the hill to “castle” area, which appeared to have a bunch of walking paths around it.

Py8TGI0.jpg

bfFCIs2.jpg

Looking back onto the park:

jOAFXnV.jpg

Found the second cred!

ylmLTF9.jpg

Oh joy.

8FnCsjK.jpg

Some more general pics. They had a huge double swinging ship, something I’ve never seen in China, that was sitting there doing nothing.

wA2QHq9.jpg

7fNRFwp.jpg

2AmE9cp.jpg

6KbEvRE.jpg

These buildings were kind of weird. They’re clearly “themed” for the park, and had shops in the ground floors, but they’re actually regular apartments which are accessed from the street outside the park.

BkF0rvx.jpg

qEmzNCP.jpg

Knockoff Power Surge:

6kCEkAe.jpg

The cable car was amazing. In the past, you would have had a wander around on the hill, up to that castle thing. Now it’s all closed off for safety reasons.

6pCE3pc.jpg

So, you get off the cable car, go through the exit, and go right back to the entrance to go down. Despite having literally nowhere to go and nothing to see, you still have to get off. I was back on the same car to go back down. Stupid, but not in the least bit surprising.

unRuzH7.jpg

Back at the bottom, I did the horror walkthrough. There are a lot of these ship-based walkthroughs, mostly all terrible and following the Chinese tradition of being too dark to see much.

Fj54pn3.jpg

G6fPLA1.jpg

Civilizati Queueing.

T6e2SKh.jpg

I was denied the Golden Horse Fruitworm.

IBSsbp9.jpg

These are always hit and miss. At pay-per-ride places, they’ll let you on, but at most bigger parks they enforce a maximum height limit. I’ve managed a couple of them at Fantawild, but they’ve changed their policy now.

AeupeT5.jpg

ylX5XLn.jpg

This place was ok, but a bit of low-key affair considering it’s Hangzhou’s only “big” park. Especially since the place has a HUGE tourist presence. The new Oreiental Heritage place is too far away to really be considered as Hangzhou. I wouldn’t be surprised to see something cropping up at some point. It’s very close to Shanghai though I guess.

When I left, I saw this indoor place across the street:

U0bmuLe.jpg

tobHbeH.jpg

No cred though.

I’d got a taxi to the park since I’d only have a couple of hours at most and I had no idea how busy it would be, but it wasn’t too far from a Metro station, so I took the 15-minute walk there to get back to the hotel. On the way, I saw a life-size (I think) replica of St Marks’s Bell Tower in Venice. Thinking it might be a “Window of the World” type theme park, I headed over.

TGKaNEr.jpg

bJNRv1f.jpg

It wasn’t a park. It was actually an enormous, Venice-themed apartment complex.

1GNGcGE.jpg

QUKWYvU.jpg

MmAVo7e.jpg

It was really, really creepy though since there were so few people around. A lot of the apartments were obviously lived in as there was washing hanging out on balconies and you could hear TVs, radios and kids. The ground floor units, which I’m guessing were supposed to house shops, restaurants etc. were all totally empty.

CtfgOup.jpg

TczHAvT.jpg

Cou14id.jpg

DGr95Sq.jpg

sQILxFf.jpg

cmWnObZ.jpg

L5R3oRa.jpg

dkVuJAy.jpg

bswpCLI.jpg

X1EBA0T.jpg

lgTzAcP.jpg

L2EXR4G.jpg

qDjtj92.jpg

A couple were getting their wedding pictures done here. This is something that I’ve seen a lot of in China, often in theme parks with “European” theming.

W9BCvZT.jpg

WzEcRyq.jpg

MChtLLn.jpg

uq1TRA5.jpg

Totally unconnected building I walked past on the way to the metro:

Qfn3iiN.jpg

I was glad I’d got this park out of the way on that day rather than squeeze it in later since it meant I had more time to actually see stuff between grabbing a few crappy creds the next day.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

gavin said:
That hurts my head just looking at it...

I actually quite like the 'real apartment' theming, I think it's a good idea!

gavin said:
This thing was about as smooth as Michael J. Fox eating M&Ms with wet chopsticks.
I guffawed at this. :lol:

The Venetian neighbourhood was a surprise. How peculiar and kinda awesome!

Another enjoyable instalment, as always. :D

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Thanks again!

gavin said:
Behold one of the worst coasters I’ve ever ridden.

bxeLGgo.jpg

I love ruptured organs

I can't understand the Venice apartment complex though. I don't know if they did it to sell on at a higher price because its a different kind of 'desirable'...? Instead of modern architecture and landscaping (something thats sought after), they recreate Venice (which is also sought after). :?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 3 - Hangzhou Paradise

There’s nothing too exciting with regards to parks/rides in this next bit.

Hangzhou wasn’t really a “must-do” place in terms of the parks, but it was in the area I was visiting and is well-known for tourism, for the Chinese at least, because of West Lake. The whole area is Unesco listed, is mentioned in craploads of Chinese poetry and literature – not that I’ve read any – and is featured on the currency.

Because I’d managed to knock of Hangzhou Paradise the previous day, I had more time than originally planned, so decided to walk around the whole lake, detouring to the two small parks nearby. My hotel was just a five-minute walk from the eastern shore.

The weather was pretty hazy, so the overall views including the mountains weren’t that great, and from around lunchtime it became ridiculously packed. It was a Saturday though, plus it was Easter weekend which seems to be becoming more of a thing in China these days.

0l6fqs4.jpg

Tnnd9I3.jpg

6PeUFMJ.jpg

8wfffPa.jpg

J8scDVB.jpg

5dzR9Ai.jpg

The lake is surrounded by loads of smaller parks, gardens, temples and other Asian s**t. If you wanted to cover everything, you could probably spend days doing it.

RXJGhvk.jpg

OCnO21D.jpg

qYaZSGI.jpg

Can’t remember who this guy is, but he must’ve been important to the area since he was featured quite a bit around various places.

3Utmg3b.jpg

An animal that hasn’t been eaten yet:

4Zpi0cf.jpg

5hs5hZf.jpg

uoWhPJH.jpg

You could climb up inside the pagoda, but I decided against it due to the number of people and the time.

9BmXSYd.jpg

R9M8phY.jpg

This is art, this is:

XILflMX.jpg

UYORU50.jpg

I took a quick detour into Taiziwan Park since Wiegand has an alpine coaster listed there.

t1RcPH3.jpg

skE0jeH.jpg

zWBh5Bt.jpg

I didn’t find it though. The park is pretty big, but most of it is a series of hilly walking trails. The busy area around the base of the mountain would have been a more natural place to put any kind of station. Plus, there were detailed maps in English and there was no mention of it.

From here, I walked about 20 minutes away from the lake to get some creds.

Hangzhou Children’s Park

k5QJTd2.jpg

This place was right next to Hangzhou Zoo, and there was a combination ticket available which I didn’t get. Looking back, I’ve got a feeling that the alpine coaster may have been in the zoo. The map at Coast to Coaster seems to support that idea. Ah well.

The park itself was pretty nice. There was a basic entrance fee with rides costing extra.

4pFZ9dm.jpg

rfB6bb4.jpg

NwaTjwY.jpg

I knew that this trip was going to be fairly light on Jungle Mouse action, so I was relieved to find one here.

OfcpkqD.jpg

vo8whgy.jpg

Fab grandma was f**king loving it.

aLbcDje.jpg

UHwiabT.jpg

The second cred was a Golden Horse fruitworm. Ugh. I’d been denied one the previous day, but got this one since it was a pay-per-ride thing.

cXqu3P1.jpg

jtlFZLH.jpg

Terrifying train ride. What’s that green thing?

x0LDXWK.jpg

It’s a prison for knockoff Disney toys. Why? Because China.

wPQ2lfI.jpg

nICTFO8.jpg

7z6wAy3.jpg

B9Vvkwp.jpg

From here, it was back the way I came to continue the circuit of the lake. Some more pictures of general stuff:

JstIcJW.jpg

4fGvDMQ.jpg

VTUEC3k.jpg

IyNQuB5.jpg

nHEgp8y.jpg

wNmRyDf.jpg

QbIlr0h.jpg

9SuLm9w.jpg

8zeOvg8.jpg

Jrr8Msq.jpg

There are a couple of huge, artificial causeways hat cut across the western part of the lake.

WZI1bwA.jpg

Some tomb of some guy:

0WdPlfV.jpg

Rather elaborate Costa:

Kjy2kty.jpg

DwiqPd8.jpg

HhNtEM8.jpg

Once I’d got around to the north-east corner, I was near the other small park.

Hangzhou Youth and Children’s Centre

QYFJsfF.jpg

This place was just a very small park with not much in it.

kXDZS8e.jpg

r30B5QK.jpg

Not sure what this building was:

e1QbX13.jpg

The only coaster was a Golden Horse space car. Usually, these city park places are all walk-on, but because the whole area around the lake was rammed, I ended up having to wait about 20 minutes for it.

qufNXDe.jpg

XbQOafp.jpg

Lxf2gxp.jpg

QaCiR12.jpg

From there, it was back around the lake to where I had started from and back to the hotel. After not bothering to use my Fitbit for over a year since the novelty wore off and I realized that it’s actually a fairly useless tool with regard to any meaningful form of exercise, used mostly by fat people as an excuse to cram more s**t in their face after they hit their 10,000 steps, I took it with my on this trip for the curiosity factor. By the time I got back to the hotel, I’d walked almost 25km, which is a bit excessive for 3 Chinese kiddy coasters.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

gavin said:
There’s nothing too exciting with regards to parks/rides in this next bit.
Urgh, why even bothhhhher... ;)

gavin said:
It’s a prison for knockoff Disney toys. Why? Because China.
wPQ2lfI.jpg
Oh goodness me, that's [strike]amazing[/strike] horrifying. :lol:

gavin said:
After not bothering to use my Fitbit for over a year since the novelty wore off and I realized that it’s actually a fairly useless tool with regard to any meaningful form of exercise, used mostly by fat people as an excuse to cram more s**t in their face after they hit their 10,000 steps, I took it with my on this trip for the curiosity factor. By the time I got back to the hotel, I’d walked almost 25km, which is a bit excessive for 3 Chinese kiddy coasters.
That's a good effort! Glad to see they were world class coasters. ;)

Another nice report. It does look like quite a pretty area, very green and colourful (even if there was a lot of haze). I was going to say that it looks like a nice relaxing day, but 25km is hardly that relaxing!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

wPQ2lfI.jpg

That's it! I'm contacting Amnesty International! I mean A narrow ledge to permanently perch yourself before a large drop into stagnant water -The conditions are absolutely horrifying! It's giving me flashbacks from when I was held hostage by Chip & Dale at Disney's All Star Sports resort.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 4 - More Hangzhou

This next place was a “maybe” when I was planning this trip, based on how much I got done beforehand and the fact that there are no coasters there. Since I’d done Hangzhou’s parks and seen a lot of stuff around the lake, I decided to check it out since I had most of the day free before a train to the next city in the early evening.

Song Dynasty Town

I was mostly curious about this place since it suddenly appeared last year on the TEA Index as one of the world’s busiest theme parks, and the busiest in China. With a reported 5.81 million visitors it was number 18 in the world and 8 in Asia. I’d thought that the numbers seemed a little off since the attendance increase was down to a new theatre, which I thought was a separate attraction. It’s not though, it’s included as part of an overall entrance package.

When you buy the park entrance ticket, you choose the time of the show you want to go to, and are given a reserved seating ticket. There are also different price seats available. I opted for the VIP package which gave the best seats for the show, but was pretty pricey at around £45 over the regular package at between £20-£25.

The whole place is themed, unsurprisingly based on the name, around the Song Dynasty period in Chinese history since Hangzhou was the capital at that time.

Pwxaf53.jpg

The first attraction I tried was this:

RHV8B11.jpg

6O6LdMR.jpg

It was one of those “sit-in-the-dark-with-headphones” horror attractions. I obviously understood nothing, but the audio quality was much better than others of these that I’ve done in China.

kY2iUEz.jpg

The mountain seemed to be one of those stunt/water shows, but it was closed all ay from what I could see. Everything else at least had show times posted out front, but this was just fenced off with no information.

zAgzj5n.jpg

The park was designed with Song Dynasty architecture.

8M2S2sG.jpg

KHeEEoO.jpg

Along with traditional Song Dynasty mobile phone charging stations.

kwNZS9l.jpg

Something was about to start in this building, so I headed in, having no idea what it was.

Aq9oHoQ.jpg

It was a short show, which I didn’t understand at first, but became clearer later. It was based around an ancient Chinese brothel.

It started with this drag queen who kept referring to himself as “Mama”, which I guessed pretty soon would be the equivalent of a brothel madame.

24ZSLcG.jpg

She talks and jokes with the crowd (small – it only held about 100 people), flirting with some of the men in the audience, the premise being that the audience are customers of the brothel. After a few minutes of that, a bunch of hookers come out and dance for us, the “customers”.

n9kz6Zm.jpg

yZherxl.jpg

40ZmR8N.jpg

KoZpsge.jpg

4j7icxi.jpg

The “Mama” comes back out and flirts a bit more, this time also talking to women in the audience, clearly trying to get them to join her business, and then it’s all over. Upstairs, there was a museum to Chinese prostitution.

bm5dk5I.jpg

1mKPQw9.jpg

tGg5j1p.jpg

9DPGCf0.jpg

This “street” had a bunch of small houses/huts with optical illusion photography, slanted rooms etc.

2qDMGRu.jpg

ZpAS09B.jpg

The second horror attraction was a walkthrough with crappy animatronics. No different from anything you find all over the place in China apart from the theme, which I’m assuming was ancient Chinese ghosts/myths or some s**t

oXben8r.jpg

BWfSsMa.jpg

Next to that was a hill/staircase flanked with temples and with Buddhist stuff at the top. These were obviously not old temples, but people were still using them as such, lighting incense and praying.

NYebnRu.jpg

jqWaecJ.jpg

RMdTG6q.jpg

usDkU5D.jpg

lgPlOXX.jpg

NPQBGoZ.jpg

ODFES3K.jpg

Looking down from the top:

xQn5ATd.jpg

I9Ztw1c.jpg

YqMEi2Q.jpg

There was a large indoor area with a bunch of kiddy rides, but sadly no surprise cred.

rBp7C3M.jpg

ci39kxY.jpg

Joy of joys though, there was another crappy horror walkthrough.

NynMFGT.jpg

A mirror maze, which was ok.

nxscVVU.jpg

There was also a long, dark room which housed this traditional “tapestry” all along one wall. It was actually a huge, LED screen, which must have been about 50 meters long, so the whole thing was animated, but quite subtly. You could see most people do a double-take once they realized the whole thing was moving. It was really, really well done.

MBA4Igt.jpg

Back outside.

Z8iZB97.jpg

Theming of a cormorant fishing boat.

Oc8IivB.jpg

Complete with live cormorants.

KiUu7dt.jpg

The main show then. I’d booked the first show of the day (12:45 I think?) so that I could get out of there, back to my hotel for bags, and to the train station in a decent amount of time. The whole thing lasted an hour and was kind of a history of Hangzhou from tribal times up to relatively recent. It was excellent, and completely dialogue free meaning that there was nothing to understand really. There was brief explanation on screens, in multiple languages, before each scene.

GLGIMXq.jpg

R3ldYf7.jpg

2O0FQ8q.jpg

Xm3KWvN.jpg

RIP6bN6.jpg

rG0atn0.jpg

The battle scene had live horses which ran across the back of the stage and performers flying in on zipwires from the back of the auditorium. I didn’t manage to grab pictures though.

B8VH5VT.jpg

xGPLiCp.jpg

XOsYXub.jpg

I’m glad I forked out for the VIP section. There were only two rows of VIP, about 10 rows back from the front and in the centre, but elevated for really good views, with wider seats and away from the farmers in the other sections. Seriously, they were appalling, standing up constantly, holding up phones/selfie sticks. Obviously, I took a few pictures, but I would NEVER raise the camera above around chest height knowing that there are loads of people trying to watch the show.

Like I mentioned before, Hangzhou is huge for local tourism, so these peasants were all part of numerous massive tour groups from f**k knows what backwater.

Nyyhb6y.jpg

Gc92S9t.jpg

PsoJk2l.jpg

KfklFLx.jpg

This guy popped up again:

jmDhSHx.jpg

At least I think it’s the guy from the day before:

3Utmg3b.jpg

sHquO8Y.jpg

VDHkXnt.jpg

Ty1Qk5E.jpg

4dweqps.jpg

ITvdFPt.jpg

The tea section. During this, the VIP seats were served with tea by the performers, meaning that I’m now on even more people’s phones and cameras than I already was just for being white.

idV3lhc.jpg

mMPPQ7e.jpg

X5chQmY.jpg

I headed out after the show to make sure I had plenty of time to get back to the hotel, and from there to the train station. It’s lucky I did because it turned out to be horrendous, but luckily the only faff of the trip. I got back to the hotel no problem, but didn’t keep the driver since he’d dropped me off in a place that he couldn’t stop. Getting another taxi from that area was impossible; too many people were leaving after their weekend in Hangzhou. Instead, I thought I'd take the metro, but it took almost half an hour just to buy a ticket because it was so rammed, and none of the f**kers was waiting in anything remotely resembling an orderly fashion. I ended up having to literally physically remove people trying to push past me to get to the ticket machine, while loudly swearing at them; it was quite liberating really.

Hangzhou was nice, but I’d expected more based on its reputation as one of the top tourist destinations in China. Plus, I’d definitely chosen the wrong weekend to be there. Well, not that I’d chosen really; it was just the way it fell into the trip as a whole.

Creds in the next part…

mouse

Giga Poster
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 5 - Song Dynasty Town

Interesting report, was surprised that this is one of the world's busiest parks. Seems nice enough with some good theming, although there's a distinct lack of actual rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Easter in China PTR: Part 5 - Song Dynasty Town

It's not about rides at all though, it's about shows and cultural stuff, so because of that it has a huge potential audience when it comes to age groups, tour groups etc.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk