What's new

Dreamland Margate News

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Oh sorry, I thought someone said the other testing rumours were fake (but I might have got the wrong end of the stick as usual). This is the first video I've seen.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Jordanovichy said:
I thought it had been 'testing' for a while now? There were a couple of posts around a month ago saying so at least. Really hope they get this open ASAP! It's a core part of the park which really will depend on the success of the new Dreamland.
Their Facebook page says the previous tests were to check the track, rather than testing for opening as the trains aren't ready yet.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's not testing. The trains aren't even built - they're coming along but up to this point, they only include the floors with weighted slabs, and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yeah this is why I put 'testing' in inverted commas, I knew it wasn't testing for it to actually be used. So is it now then?

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Soooo - the European Coaster Club has now sent out notifications that we'll be visiting Dreamland on 3 October to

drumroll, please

RIDE the Scenic Railway.

This means there must be some idea of an opening date for the Scenic...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Trains have finally arrived.

12002508_969055739804263_3550981188998755378_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/dreamlandmargate

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They look beautiful! So gaudy <3

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
#PastelOverload ;)

I think they're great...those cages do slightly concern me though, hopefully they look taller than they actually are.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Dreadful use of Photoshop.

Look at the angle of the seats compared to the wooden base. It's pretty clear that the base was photographed on the gravel in front of the Scenic, then a photograph of the seats was pasted over the top. Either that, or they have redesigned the train so that the seats are pointing to the right of the train (which wouldn't make sense even if they were, as the main view would be to the left).

That aside, the cage that extends the sides and back of the seats upwards is clearly a Health and Safety Executive requirement. However;

• It will make the seats very difficult to occupy by two grown-ups. I always had to have my "outer" shoulder over the edge of the seat.
  • It will not be possible to rest your "inner" arm along the back of the seat, so courting couples or parents who want to hold on to their children will be restricted, and it also removes this as a way of fitting two wide pairs of shoulders into a narrow space.
  • As the "trellis" is brightly-coloured, the view through the holes will be impaired, so little or no view out to the side. It also makes the dragons look out of proportion. A metal frame (painted to match the side) with a sheet of perspex would be far better in my opinion.

BUT - just glad to see the trains at last - even if they aren't actually sitting in front of the Scenic

Lofty

CF Legend
It has been properly testing - some of the senior management have already rode it on a night time.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
From the BBC article:

Thanet District Council's cabinet has approved a proposal to fund the shortfall with a loan paid for by revenue from Dreamland's car park.

Given the prices they charge for a full day on the car park, I should blooming well think so!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Going by their website, they don't actually have a car park. It says there's a public car park next to Dreamland. How much is the parking?

PeteA

Roller Poster
Cost me £7.50 for 1 full days parking on Saturday. £6 for 4 hours.

Ride was testing with staff riding. From the Big Wheel, looks like magnetic brakes are being installed all over the ride, so the brakeman is just going to be a token gesture and just there fore the sake of it.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
PeteA said:

Ride was testing with staff riding. From the Big Wheel, looks like magnetic brakes are being installed all over the ride, so the brakeman is just going to be a token gesture and just there fore the sake of it.
That's a shame. Blackpool's brakeman coasters still use them properly don't they? Suppose it is safer.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
PeteA said:

Edit: got rid of mistake

That's a shame. Some coasters still use brakemen fine though. Suppose it is safer.