What's new

Dollywood, Spring Break 2017

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Okay everyone. This was posted a lot sooner than I thought. I literally was just at the park yesterday! (Well that happens when a park closes at 7:00) Let's get started!

Dollywood overall was a phenomenal park, the best I've been two. Great staff, extremely fast operations, and there's not a single bad coaster in the collection.

thumb_dsc00098_5.jpg

I think we've found the right turn

thumb_dsc00099_3.jpg

Big blue B&M means we're here!!

thumb_dsc00100_2.jpg

Taking the tram...

thumb_dsc00101_1.jpg

Wow! I never thought the day I visit Dollywood would come so soon!

thumb_dsc00102_4.jpg

Besides being the best park I've visited, I gotta admit that it's probably the most charming park I've been to as well

thumb_dsc00103_3.jpg

You can't hide from me back there!

thumb_dsc00104_5.jpg

The band on Showstreet was very good

thumb_dsc00106_2.jpg

Jukebox Junction - One of the best theme park areas in the country

thumb_dsc00107_1.jpg

Unfortunately, when we first got there, the ride was stuck on the brake run. So we moved on.

thumb_dsc00109_2.jpg

We'll eat your heavenly wheat products later!

thumb_dsc00110_1.jpg

Just out of curiosity, does anyone regularly refer to Barnstormer as Dueling Daredevils?

thumb_dsc00111_1.jpg

Coasters themed to Eagles are cool...

thumb_dsc00112_4.jpg

But that doesn't mean real eagles aren't!

thumb_dsc00113_0.jpg

Because Lightning Rod was closed, Tennessee Tornado was the first coaster of the day.

thumb_dsc00114_1.jpg

The ride had some very cool theming

thumb_dsc00115_1.jpg

This ride blew me away! The first time I rode in the front row was utterly underwhelming, but when I rode in the back, man... what an intense, SMOOTH Arrow coaster! Short, but very satisfying. 8.5/10

thumb_dsc00116_3.jpg

Next up was FireChaser Express

thumb_dsc00117_3.jpg

It was a very action-packed family coaster! The launches are on the gentle side, but it was still very fun, with some little airtime pops. 7/10

thumb_dsc00118_3.jpg

Wild Eagle was bigger than I thought

thumb_dsc00120_4.jpg

The large Eagle sculpture looked AWESOME!

thumb_dsc00121_1.jpg

Overall, it was very good. The theming and atmosphere really made the layout feel appropriate! The drop was much better than expected, all of the inversions were fun (my personal favorite was that last corkscrew), and there were some forceful moments. 8/10

thumb_dsc00128_3.jpg

We made a beeline when we saw Lightning Rod opened up!!

thumb_dsc00129_4.jpg

thumb_dsc00130_4.jpg

thumb_dsc00131_2.jpg

thumb_dsc00132_4.jpg

Loved the little props in the queue line!

thumb_dsc00133_4.jpg

thumb_dsc00134_3.jpg

Almost there!

thumb_dsc00135_2.jpg

After riding, I instantly declared Lightning Rod my new #1 over Maverick. There is nothing wrong with it. The interactions with the terrain were great, the launch was just bonkers, it never loses the relentless speed, it feels like a very long ride when you are riding, and the airtime is :emoji_zipper_mouth:. 10/10

thumb_dsc00136_2.jpg

The car design was awesome too!

thumb_dsc00137_3.jpg

Lots of merch

thumb_dsc00138_2.jpg

This is where I had lunch. Got some great views of Lightning Rod launching from our window!

thumb_dsc00139_4.jpg

Cool globe

thumb_dsc00140_2.jpg

We'll ride ya later

thumb_dsc00141_7.jpg

Pretty cool waterworks

thumb_dsc00143_3.jpg

After missing out on SkyHawk (or whatever the one at Kings Island is called), I've always wanted to try an S&S Screamin' Swing

thumb_dsc00144_3.jpg

There's the goon known as me, wearing my Lightning Rod swag, wondering how to work this thing

thumb_dsc00145_2.jpg

What is that face??

thumb_dsc00147_2.jpg

The ride was very mediocre at best. There was some great speed, and I got a facelift when plunging down, but otherwise it felt way too short and uninteresting to me. 6/10

thumb_dsc00148_5.jpg

Random Wild Eagle lift shot

thumb_dsc00149_1.jpg

Blazing Fury was cool. Felt more like an guided tour than a coaster to me though. The drops were good however.

thumb_dsc00150_6.jpg

After one last ride on Tennessee Tornado (because it's so :emoji_zipper_mouth: good), we went over to Mystery Mine. And wow, did this thing blow me away! Everyone had told me how mediocre and not good it was, and comments like those just lowered my expectations to the point that I was considering skipping it. And was it a complete surprise! It feels much longer because of the unique layout, the drops were excellent, the inversion combo was excellent, the theming was excellent, the whole coaster was excellent! Sure, there was headbanging at times, but I was able to fend it off. 9.5/10 (fight me)

thumb_dsc00153_0.jpg

Last credit I need!

thumb_dsc00152_5.jpg

Lots was going on here today. Construction workers were everywhere, and the base of the station was put in. They also started test runs of Drop Line.

thumb_dsc00151_1.jpg

The coaster was fab! The back row was disappointing, maybe because I was put in with a GP boy who thought Thunderhead was faster than Lightning Rod, and he tried to force me to put my hands up on the lift hill. But when I rode in the front row, it really redeemed itself! I don't like wooden coasters that are B&M smooth, and Thunderhead definitely brings that rough, out-of-control wooden coaster experience that I love. 9.5/10

ZyoU15a.jpg

We got back to Lightning Rod for a second ride, only to find out that everyone had been evacuated. Luckily, we stayed in line and it started testing pretty soon!

RRZVocL.jpg

Mechanics working their magic

bqKBv7q.jpg

This is what happens when a ride closes and everyone leaves to ride other things!

aMakJ9v.jpg

Funny story - When I was about to be sorted, I asked politely if I could have a back row ride. The employee that was sorting gave me a dirty look because I was wearing my Goliath (GAm) shirt on, and she said that I didn't deserve it (love it when coaster enthusiasts work at park). But then I pulled out my Lightning Rod sweater, and she let me on the back row!

Lightning Rod was so much better in the back. The launch was more of the same, but it felt more out-of-control, the relentless speed felt faster, and the airtime was also that much more crazy! :emoji_metal::emoji_metal::emoji_metal:

And yes, we did eventually get some cinnamon bread before we left.

Thanks so much for reading! I had a great time, and I always like hearing feedback

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This ride blew me away! The first time I rode in the front row was utterly underwhelming, but when I rode in the back, man... what an intense, SMOOTH Arrow coaster! Short, but very satisfying. 8.5/10
Yeah, this took me by surprise too. It's a shame to see it as one of the last Arrow loopers, as it was clear that they were coming on leaps and bounds with their technology. I know @tomahawk is a big fan of this coaster too! It was interesting to hear about the original plan for Tennessee Tornado during our tour last year. Instead of heading right into the brake run, the original plan was for a big left turn and for it to head off down the valley. Unfortunately, budget and time cut the project short, so they had to finish where they did.

Sounds like you had a good time! How was Lightning Rod's reliability? I know you mentioned it went down a couple of times, but did it feel like it was operating more of the day than it wasn't? I'm really curious to see how it's consistency is over this season, it was fairly shocking last season!

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Yeah, this took me by surprise too. It's a shame to see it as one of the last Arrow loopers, as it was clear that they were coming on leaps and bounds with their technology. I know @tomahawk is a big fan of this coaster too! It was interesting to hear about the original plan for Tennessee Tornado during our tour last year. Instead of heading right into the brake run, the original plan was for a big left turn and for it to head off down the valley. Unfortunately, budget and time cut the project short, so they had to finish where they did.

Sounds like you had a good time! How was Lightning Rod's reliability? I know you mentioned it went down a couple of times, but did it feel like it was operating more of the day than it wasn't? I'm really curious to see how it's consistency is over this season, it was fairly shocking last season!

Wow, thanks for that information! I want to make an extended Tennessee Tornado in NL2 now :p

It was better than I expected! Yeah, besides the two long(er) breakdowns, it stayed open basically all day.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Nice trip report. Good to see Lightning Rod is running, albeit with a few issues. I'm now even more excited about my trip to Dollywood in June! :D

How did Drop Line look?

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Nice trip report. Good to see Lightning Rod is running, albeit with a few issues. I'm now even more excited about my trip to Dollywood in June! :D

How did Drop Line look?

It was taller than I expected! If you drive by the park, it's one of only of two rides visible (the other one being Wild Eagle) The seats looked like those used on Lex Luthor and Zumanjaro with the seating arrangement of a Gyro Drop.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Nice! I am now extremely close to making a trip to here happen at the end of the summer. I'm excited just by the possibility.

Lofty

CF Legend
I am so excited about visiting the park for the first time in June, and this report has just added to that excitement - so thank you :D