What's new

Does "World's First" matter to you?

Does "World's First" matter to you?

• Always-If it's the first it's obviously going to be incredible!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes-If it's something really impressive then it will, but otherwise it's just another coaster.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Never-They're all rollercoatsers, if something's the first then it hasn;t had time to be improved on

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Waffleman

Mega Poster
With TH13TEEN claiming to be a "World's First" at every possible opportunity, I thought it'd be interesting to see if it really makes a difference to any of you?
Personally, if it's the first to break the 400ft barrier or the "World's First Vertical Drop Rollercoaster", that's impressive. But "World's First Horror-Film Themed Rollercoaster" (Saw), "World's First Backwards Indoor Rollercoaster In The Dark To Be Named After A Letter Of The Alphabet" (X:No Way Out) or first "Psycoaster" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) doesn't get my dick hard.

Ollie

CF Legend
If it's a worlds first then it's usually nice to have something different.
Although it's ridiculous with some of the claims that coasters and rides battle with. Like with Saw they said it was the worlds steepest 'freefall' drop just so it can have the claim over Mumbo Jumbo having the worlds steepest drop.

As for 'Worlds first' though. It's not often we get a new worlds first so I reckon as long as it's a good one it does matter whereas if it adds hardly anything to the thrills we already get then it's pointless and just an advertising tool

A-Kid

Giga Poster
If its one that makes a difference to the ride experience; something cool and unique, then yes.

If its mentioned purely for a marketing spin, or just a gimmick that makes it the "The worlds, steepest, fastest, highest *insert element*" thats just an extention of something thats been done before, I couldn't give a toss.

World's first makes it interesting I guess, but nine times out of ten it's not actually a world's first, but rather, a gimmick. When it's actually a totslly new concept, I can't lie and say I'm not intrigued.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So my opinion is more valid than others, I like to try to ride as many different coaster types as I can.

Therefore, a world's first does matter to me but "world's first" does not necessarily mean it'll be good. It's a nice way of marketing something though.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I think a world first is more important in moving the coaster industry on than being a good coaster experience. Usually the world's first of a particular type shows promise of things to come and is usually not very thrilling. Take Air and Oblivion. Both world firsts, but not the biggest and most exciting coasters of their respective types. What they did was to show their potential, and they were followed by bigger more extravegant examples (e.g. Tatsu and Shiekra).

Inverse

Hyper Poster
As you said, if it's a significant world's first (or even largest, longest, steepest, highest, etc) I would want to ride because of it. A world's first that has to string together a unique set of conditions that only it complies to itself is a little lame.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
World's first vary... Simple as... You get some good ones, you get some terrible ones...

All the park's in America have these brilliant claims on their rides, I remember practically every ride annoucement having something along the lines of 'Largest Vertical Loop, and Largest Dive Loop on the East Coast'... It was very amusing...

'Proper' World's firsts are those rides that are completely and utterly new, like Xcelerator, Air, Oblivion, Batman, etc... And sometimes are actually better than those that come after... (I prefer Air over Tatsu since Air doesn't try and rip your legs off)...

On the other hand, X:/No Way Out was a world's first... So some of them are a bit... Crap... :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
Ian said:
So my opinion is more valid than others, I like to try to ride as many different coaster types as I can.

Therefore, a world's first does matter to me but "world's first" does not necessarily mean it'll be good. It's a nice way of marketing something though.

That.

Marketing is fun.. but at the end of the day.. who cares?

CMonster

Giga Poster
Like practically everyone's said before me, if it's a world first that will really matter, I'll be interested. Something like Oblivion, Xcellerator, MF, ect. If it's something dumb, like "world's first horror themed coaster" or whatever, while it may be good marketing, I won't say, "Wow, it's a worlds first, cool!" or whatever.

A

Anonymous

I chose sometimes.

Which is probably the best answer, I mean yeah a rollercoaster could be 'The World's First' but, if it's crappy that doesn't make it any better in any way shape or form.

A

Anonymous

I sort of think it matters, because I like the feeling that *I have been on a world first coaster but other than that I dont think so.