Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
East Coast(er) General said:
This was a topic of discussion every time I've ridden Boulder Dash with a Brit CFer (furie, Gavin, Brad & Hixee). "Why can't a park in England build one of these?"
For those that have ridden BD, is there a park in the UK that has the terrain to replicate a coaster similar to Boulder Dash?
Alton Towers.

Thorpe could install a pretty decent Plug-and-Play if they set their minds to it, but I somehow can't see that happening any time soon. Alton has the perfect terrain for it, the only problem is that it would eat up their gardens. Now I don't care so much about that, but I do think they're a nice part of the park. I'd sacrifice them for an amazing woodie, but I can see why others wouldn't.

Personally I think the problem is with the GP. Well, their impression of woodies anyway. After coming back from the USA-Live many of my friends asked my what my favourite ride was, to which I replied "Boulder Dash". Obviously, no-one had heard of it, but when they found out it was wooden all but one of my friends couldn't see how a woodie was best. Don't forget, most members of the GP only know about the woodies at Blackpool and whilst they are fun, they're certainly not the best coasters in the world. The ONLY friend who wasn't as surprised was someone who'd visited Oakwood recently. Their response was "Was it better than that wooden one at Oakwood?" and when I said yes they were genuinely impressed.

I think if some park 'bit-the-bullet' and got a big, new, impressive woodie, then the GP's reaction would change. Until then, I can't see one in the UK.

Snoo

The Legend
^Basically. And yes.. you guys do. With the rides being huge hits in so many other parks, the morons at the high levels of Merlin need to wise up and do something which isn't that expensive on top of being unique on top of being a good ride. It's a shame most of you guys need to fly quite a while to even smell a hint of a good collection of woodies.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Providing any new one is themed around a mine or a beaver's dam or something similar, the public will go for it. I don't think anything that is just a wooden structure like the Ultimate (I know that isn't a woodie) would capture the wider public's imagination any more.

herbinator

Mega Poster
I have not been on a wooden coaster but would really like to. I think it would be good if the UK got a new one but unlike a lot of people, I think it could work well at thorpe. It couldn't really use ant terrain but if they themed it well then it would draw loads of people in. All they had to do last year was write SAW everywhere and it became really busy. Get a good theme and it will work.

coaster_mad

Roller Poster
What Hixee said.

Unfortunately I have only ridden a couple of woodies and although they were fun, they weren't anything special and it sucks that I'd have to travel all the way to the other side of the world to ride the likes of El Toro and Boulder Dash. The UK definitely needs an amazing wooden coaster.

I think it would work well in both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park - AT has a lot of woodland areas where the coaster could go and TP has the Canada Creek area where I think a wooden coaster would fit in nicely. However the UK GP are biased against wooden coasters and so I doubt we will be seeing one here any time soon :(

andrus

Giga Poster
^You don't have to travel across the atlantic to go on a good woodie :wink: just to Germany and the awesomness that is Colossos!

STC

Mega Poster
You don't even have to go that far...

Efteling have Joris en de Draak
Asterix have Zeus
and Toverland have Troy!

nadroJ

CF Legend
STC said:
You don't even have to go that far...

Efteling have Joris en de Draak
Asterix have Zeus
and Toverland have Troy!

Yes, but I'd rather not have to leave the country to ride a decent woodie, thank you.

Ben

CF Legend
I don't see why people complain about us not having enough woodies cause we have to travel to say, the Netherlands or France for one and then go on about America having LOADS, when most of the folks there have to travel JUST AS FAR for one...?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I know I'm new to this whole coaster milarky, but I know where my heart lies, and iits with wood :--D I love the jotls, and the movement, and the sound, and even the pain! So of course it would be a dream come true if a UK park were to announce a new woodie. But you and I both know that won't happen any time soon.

We are just coming out of a recession for one thing. You don't go gamblling with new concepts in a time of crisis, you stick to a known format with movie branding and advertising to prop it up.

We haven't had a woodie built in so long, the genral public have forgotten what they are like. Its all, number of inversions this, fast acceleration that...where's the passion..?

The sad thing is, as others have said, that if one were to be built, I'm sure it would become the norm and Joe the Plumber would embrace it as much as any other ride.

Mike

Giga Poster
I love the jotls, and the movement, and the sound, and even the pain!

But isn't this part of the reason why UK parks aren't building wooden coasters- Because they're viewed as overly loud, painful and unsafe?

The UK needs a quality, smooth wooden coaster, like what GCI and Intamin make, to show people that wood can be rideable!

Snoo

The Legend
Ben said:
I don't see why people complain about us not having enough woodies cause we have to travel to say, the Netherlands or France for one and then go on about America having LOADS, when most of the folks there have to travel JUST AS FAR for one...?

Well.. see.. we only have to drive a few hours.. which isn't a big deal. Hell.. I have probably around 15-20 decent woodies within 4-5 hours of me.

You guys, on the other hand, have to either fly or take a train or take a boat or give a hooker hand job or this and that and some more things to get to that many.

I guess you could say that you guys have to go much farther out of your way in terms of convenience to enjoy the same amount of wood as we do. Being as lazy as all human beings are, its an obvious hassle.

Tom

Hyper Poster
The problem is that not enough people in the UK have experienced a good woodie and so there will always be a risk that too many people would be turned away from it if one was made. It's a shame because as everyone has said, there are some fantastic wooden beasts which the UK just hasn't tried yet.