What's new

Does rural or urban living appeal to you more?

Does rural or urban living appeal to you more?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. With there being a wide array of members on here, I'm sure we live in a number of places of all shapes and sizes. From big towns and cities to small villages, there is a wide spectrum of places to live. However, I'd say that the living style in most places would fall into one of two categories; rural living and urban living. Rural living entails living in more remote, quaint surroundings, often in areas of natural beauty or expansive countryside. Urban living, on the other hand, entails living in busier, more built up surroundings with more going on, and is more typically associated with large cities and towns. With this in mind, I'd be interested to know; does rural or urban living appeal to you more? Do you like the peace and tranquil surroundings of a rural environment, or do you prefer the convenience and hustle and bustle of an urban environment?

Personally, I'm actually undecided.

I have lived rurally for as long as I can remember. For my whole life, I have lived in the Forest of Dean, in Gloucestershire in the South West of England, and I have spent that whole time living in small rural villages with less than 1,000 residents. To be more specific, I grew up in one small village and moved to another one just down the road when I was 12, where I have lived ever since.

I'm often told how lucky I am to live in a rural area like the Forest, with the Wye Valley AONB and numerous forest walks and rural villages on my doorstep. I don't deny that I do live in rather picturesque surroundings; there are some very nice walking routes only a short drive away from where I live, and the forest can be very pretty! I also think that having a rural upbringing was beneficial to me in some ways; for instance, I feel I massively benefitted from attending a small village primary school and getting a more intimate degree of support within a smaller cohort of students.

However, I don't think living rurally is all sunshine and roses either, despite the often idyllic portrayal of rural living. The pitfalls of rural living have become more apparent to me with age.

One thing you absolutely do not get around here is convenience. In my village, the bus only comes once every 2-3 hours and only goes as far as the nearest small town in either direction (the length of the whole route is probably less than 10 miles), and while the train service is admittedly pretty decent, with a train heading towards Cheltenham in one direction and Cardiff in the other once every 1-2 hours and the odd train heading as far north as Nottingham thrown in there every few hours, you certainly aren't getting a smorgasbord of train services around here, either. If you want to get anywhere vaguely far away with any modicum of flexibility, driving is basically an essential life skill in a way that it isn't in an urban area. We also can't access many of the instant app-based luxuries that urban folk have access to; the likes of Deliveroo and Uber may as well be things from a sci-fi film here in the Forest of Dean!

Nonetheless, I'd be hesitant to say that urban living appeals to me more than rural living simply because I've never tried it. If I lived in an urban area, I may well have been yearning for a rural area like the Forest of Dean!

But I'd be interested to know; does rural or urban living appeal to you more? Do you appreciate the peace and quiet of rural living, or do you value the convenience and hustle and bustle of urban living more?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I live in a fairly rural village around a 10 minute bus ride from a couple urban towns.

Why choose rural?
-quieter area of the country, fairly chilled out & out of the 'drama' of somewhere larger
-larger quantity of green space & trees
-area not dominated by large businesses, experiment with smaller ones
-walk or cycle through completely random fields or empty roads

Why choose urban?

-better public transport and more public transport infrastructure, easier to get around
-generally flatter terrain makes bicycle riding easier, plus higher chance of a good bike lane
-more walkable (or at least as walkable as you can get in the average UK town)

I quite like where I live. Some halfway decent public transport (for the area) and random fields I can walk and cycle through. A 2 minute walk from local shop/barber too. Only problem is it's difficult to cycle on because it's very hilly and quite busy with cars.

If I moved out I'd like a rural area with decent public transport links (important). I don't want to drive. Cycle through empty roads, walk through a field, 40 minute round trip to get milk, sounds like the dream. I hate both of the urban towns that I'm close to and everything about them, and I only visit them either to see friends or to get something important from the shops or use their railway station. They're soulless, corporate. A system.

Snoo

The Legend
I'd definitely say add a subcategory for suburban.. as I wouldn't want to live in a populated urban core.. but I digress.

I'm 100% urban all the way. I grew up in the suburbs of smaller cities (250k metro area), went to college in a rural town (20k) then moved to another rural town (500 or less) then moved back to the suburbs (1.5 million metro) and moved again to another suburb (750k metro).

I'm a fan of being close to things, relatively. I do like quiet (the suburbs I've lived in has been close.. as in a 5 minute drive from nothing but farms) but I like to drive 5 minutes the other way and be close to urban centers. The rural areas I've lived in have been.. meh? The people I lived with/college I went to made it worth it but not for long term living.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I grew up in a city, albeit a small one. I would never go back through choice. I much prefer rural, however there are some caveats. We drive and have cars, all of our household. We're only a 15 - 20 minutes drive from 2 small cities (we sit between Derby and Nottingham.) And we're only a 5-10 minute drive from a reasonable sized town, with plenty of amenities.

Rural living is one thing, remote rural living is a whole other thing. I like to visit remote places, I wouldn't like to live there. So rural all the way, but not remote rural for me.

Editing to add a visual example of what I mean....

So this is where I live, undeniably rural, my next door neighbour is a farm, there's a couple of hundred residents in our village, a reservoir and 4 farms.

This is what it looks like around us at a certain zoom level on sat view.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 194631.jpg

However, zoom out a little more and this is the truth, very conveniently placed between lots of population centres and amenities.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 194728.jpg

This, for me, is absolutely perfect. Nice quiet village, with lots of green spaces and walking areas. Yet, I can drive 10 minutes in one direction to go to the cinema, shops, restaurants or even Ikea... 10 mins in the other direction and I'm in the Peak District...

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd definitely say add a subcategory for suburban.. as I wouldn't want to live in a populated urban core.. but I digress.

I'm 100% urban all the way. I grew up in the suburbs of smaller cities (250k metro area), went to college in a rural town (20k) then moved to another rural town (500 or less) then moved back to the suburbs (1.5 million metro) and moved again to another suburb (750k metro).

I'm a fan of being close to things, relatively. I do like quiet (the suburbs I've lived in has been close.. as in a 5 minute drive from nothing but farms) but I like to drive 5 minutes the other way and be close to urban centers. The rural areas I've lived in have been.. meh? The people I lived with/college I went to made it worth it but not for long term living.
After what? 15 years of friendship? Still sums it up perfectly.

I love (love!) rural places, but +45mins to Tesco each way? Forget it. Those sorts of places can stay as holiday destinations only. I guess by Matt N's definition, I live in an 'urban' environment, but I definitely don't feel like I'm deep within a city. Suburban all the way - taking whatever relativities you like from there.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I grew up in Untermeitingen, Germany, which had a population of around 2000 at the time and is about 16 miles (25 km) south of Augsburg and 45 miles (72 km) west of Munich, so I'm very familiar with rural living and having to travel quite a ways to experience city life. I also went to University in rural areas of Oklahoma and South Carolina, so after graduating I decided I wanted to try urban living for a while.
I returned to Germany and lived in Stuttgart and then Amsterdam for a few years before getting a job offer in New York City. I lived across the East River from the United Nations (48th Ave & Vernon Blvd), just one subway stop from Grand Central Station, for over a decade. I was only minutes away from the best restaurants, concert venues, and nightclubs in the world, and I took full advantage of it.
After the birth of my son, my wife wanted to move out of the city and I compromised by buying a house in the suburbs, but only 5 miles (8 km) from Manhattan. It's still generally 15 minutes or less (5 minutes on my motorcycle) to get into the city, but much easier to hit the road for theme park trips since I no longer have to travel through Manhattan to get to highways/interstates.
Even as I get older I can't imagine going back to rural living, although I do have to admit that I prefer living in my nearby suburb rather than in the city proper at this stage of my life. As others have said, I do enjoy visiting rural places. One I enjoy visiting most is the remote Utah town Alan Schilke lives in, but there's only one store and two places to eat out (neither of which I would recommend). It's fantastic for outdoor activities, but a pain to get to most necessities. I keep going back for all the fun stuff we do there, but I would never want to live somewhere like that.
It's urban all the way for me.

Snoo

The Legend
After what? 15 years of friendship? Still sums it up perfectly.

I love (love!) rural places, but +45mins to Tesco each way? Forget it. Those sorts of places can stay as holiday destinations only. I guess by Matt N's definition, I live in an 'urban' environment, but I definitely don't feel like I'm deep within a city. Suburban all the way - taking whatever relativities you like from there.
We still think a like babes. <3

Christian

Hyper Poster
For me it's urban all the way! I live in the city center of Gothenburg (600k inhabitants) about 400m from Liseberg. I grew up in the city center of Malmö (300k inhabitants). I still visit Malmö pretty often. When reaching the age of clubbing and partying even Malmö started feeling too small on some occasions so I many times take the 30 minute train to Copenhagen (1.4 million inhabitants).

What I love about city life is the ability to be spontaneous, the ability to always have something to do. Spontaneously go to concerts, clubs, dragshows, theatre, opera, etc. I'm a big lover of opera, watching an opera about every other week. Opera houses are usually only in big cities. I travel a lot and having a big airport close by is incredibly convenient.

I'm also gay. Gay life in rural settings is completely inexistent, no gay bars, no gay clubs, no gay events, no gay activities, etc. Imagine opening Grindr and the closest other guy is unattractive and 20km away, that would be really sad. There is also usually a mentality problem and homophobia in rural environments. Not the mention to shortage of potential partners. I have met plenty of gay guys who have specifically at 18 years old left their rural villages and moved into the cities, to better be able to be themselves.

As a young guy I could not imagine living outside a bigger city center. Ones I'm settled down and have kids I might move out to the suburbs, but I could never see myself in a rural environment. I love spending a couple of nights in cosy rural hotels though for relaxation, but I could never stay longer without getting bored.

I like suburban, but if I had to pick from the two, it would be urban. I grew up in a place with a population of 220,000, and now live in the suburbs of Montreal. I couldn't imagine living somewhere so rural and inconvenient (even Wal-Mart being ten minutes away feels excessive to me), although it would probably be peaceful at times.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thing is, in the UK we can walk or catch public transport (even from most rural areas, though not all.) Our public transport systems, both rural and urban, offer us great connections, and genuine choice over where we live, and whether or not we wish to drive.

So this question means very different things when asking somebody stateside, than it does somebody in the UK / Europe.

Geography is also very different. Right now it would take at least 35 minutes to get from the Bronx to Manhattan in NYC. (Only example I could think of sorry.) In my rural location here, I could reach either of 2 city centre’s in half that time!!!

However, there are outliers, some rural areas in the UK have no public transport whatsoever, and a car is essential. Matt, I believe, lives in one such area?

Matt N

CF Legend
However, there are outliers, some rural areas in the UK have no public transport whatsoever, and a car is essential. Matt, I believe, lives in one such area?
"No public transport" is pushing it a tad, but there certainly isn't much public transport around here. There was a period a few years ago where we had no bus service at all, but thankfully, we do now have one.

A bus only arrives in my village once every 2-3 hours, and the far ends of this bus route are the two closest small towns to my village; on one end, you have Lydney, which is around 2-3 miles from my house, and on the other end, you have Chepstow, which is 6-7 miles from my house. So the buses around here are few and far between and will not get you very far from your house. As an example, I once looked at getting to my university campus in Cheltenham (around a 45 minute drive away) via buses alone on the day of a train strike, and the bus journey to Cheltenham from here took the best part of 3 hours and required 2 changes...

The buses are pretty reliable, to be fair, but they are also a bit temperamental, to a degree. They won't run if there's the slightest whiff of snow, wind or heavy rain, and I myself have also had buses either refuse to stop for me when I've got my hand out or refuse to let me on when they're pulled in and waiting with the doors shut and just drive away... although to be fair, I may not have knocked hard enough on the door in that instance. I also don't think we can be too picky about the bus service, as we are very lucky to have one, after all.

I myself am relatively well connected trains-wise, to be fair, as I live only 3 miles away from a mainline train station in Lydney with direct westbound connections to Cardiff and direct eastbound connections to Gloucester and Cheltenham, and even the odd CrossCountry train that goes to Birmingham and beyond. Trains stop in Lydney every hour or so. So on the trains front, I'm not doing too badly, to be fair. I live, give or take a few minutes, around a 1 hour walk or 5 minute drive from the train station. If you live deeper into the Forest of Dean than I do, though, you're the best part of a 30 minute drive from Lydney train station, and your only other, similarly far away, train stations are Gloucester itself or Ledbury up in Herefordshire. And from what I gather, the bus situation is pretty similar to how it is around here.

The one problem I have experienced is that the buses and the trains often do not coordinate very well at all. I have scoured the local bus and train timetables in great depth in order to try and facilitate getting to university in Cheltenham, and thus far, I've only seen one time of day where the bus and the train even vaguely coordinate.

So in summary, living in the Forest of Dean as a non-driver is not impossible, but certainly not very feasible if you want to live with any modicum of flexibility. If I didn't have parents and other relatives who willingly offered to give me lifts, I would certainly find it pretty challenging to live here long-term as a non-driver. Hence why I have been learning to drive for nearly 2 years (and have a test coming up on 1st February which I sincerely hope to pass)! I know very few people around here who rely on public transport; driving is basically considered an essential life skill in the Forest.

I imagine that many other parts of rural Britain are very similar. I'm particularly thinking of some of the places on the extremities of the country, which are probably even less well connected than I am (e.g West Wales, Norfolk/Suffolk, Devon/Cornwall).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
"No public transport" is pushing it a tad, but there certainly isn't much public transport around here. There was a period a few years ago where we had no bus service at all, but thankfully, we do now have one.

A bus only arrives in my village once every 2-3 hours, and the far ends of this bus route are the two closest small towns to my village; on one end, you have Lydney, which is around 2-3 miles from my house, and on the other end, you have Chepstow, which is 6-7 miles from my house. So the buses around here are few and far between and will not get you very far from your house. As an example, I once looked at getting to my university campus in Cheltenham (around a 45 minute drive away) via buses alone on the day of a train strike, and the bus journey to Cheltenham from here took the best part of 3 hours and required 2 changes...

The buses are pretty reliable, to be fair, but they are also a bit temperamental, to a degree. They won't run if there's the slightest whiff of snow, wind or heavy rain, and I myself have also had buses either refuse to stop for me when I've got my hand out or refuse to let me on when they're pulled in and waiting with the doors shut and just drive away... although to be fair, I may not have knocked hard enough on the door in that instance. I also don't think we can be too picky about the bus service, as we are very lucky to have one, after all.

I myself am relatively well connected trains-wise, to be fair, as I live only 3 miles away from a mainline train station in Lydney with direct westbound connections to Cardiff and direct eastbound connections to Gloucester and Cheltenham, and even the odd CrossCountry train that goes to Birmingham and beyond. Trains stop in Lydney every hour or so. So on the trains front, I'm not doing too badly, to be fair. I live, give or take a few minutes, around a 1 hour walk or 5 minute drive from the train station. If you live deeper into the Forest of Dean than I do, though, you're the best part of a 30 minute drive from Lydney train station, and your only other, similarly far away, train stations are Gloucester itself or Ledbury up in Herefordshire. And from what I gather, the bus situation is pretty similar to how it is around here.

The one problem I have experienced is that the buses and the trains often do not coordinate very well at all. I have scoured the local bus and train timetables in great depth in order to try and facilitate getting to university in Cheltenham, and thus far, I've only seen one time of day where the bus and the train even vaguely coordinate.

So in summary, living in the Forest of Dean as a non-driver is not impossible, but certainly not very feasible if you want to live with any modicum of flexibility. If I didn't have parents and other relatives who willingly offered to give me lifts, I would certainly find it pretty challenging to live here long-term as a non-driver. Hence why I have been learning to drive for nearly 2 years (and have a test coming up on 1st February which I sincerely hope to pass)! I know very few people around here who rely on public transport; driving is basically considered an essential life skill in the Forest.

I imagine that many other parts of rural Britain are very similar. I'm particularly thinking of some of the places on the extremities of the country, which are probably even less well connected than I am (e.g West Wales, Norfolk/Suffolk, Devon/Cornwall).
Thanks for the reply Matt…

Fair to say though, that the public transport available to you in one of the more rural areas of Southern England is quite possibly better than the public transport available to some big city suburbs in the states. That was my point really.

Rural in the UK, for the most part (yes there are some outliers,) does not really compare to rural America. Many people living rurally in the UK would find it easier and quicker to get to the middle of a major population centre than many people living in suburban areas of some American cities.

Or to put it another way… I read that Riggs Moor in Yorkshire is the most remote place that anybody lives in England… Why? Because the nearest public road is 2.4 miles away!!! That’s right, just 2.4 miles!!! (I have no idea as to the accuracy of any of this, but it was published by YorkshireLive / ExaminerLive if anybody wants to look it up.) It’s also only 21.8 miles from Harrogate. 🙈

Take that Jarbidge with your 100 miles in every direction!!!

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Urban all the way… or at least sub-urban, which is where I’d say I live.

I value the ability to walk to facilities, shops and to social occasions - or just take a short journey at most.

As an aside, the term ‘urban’ can be considered outdated and even offensive in some contexts… not that anything in this thread should be read that way, but it’s worth mentioning for those that are unaware.

Christian

Hyper Poster
As an aside, the term ‘urban’ can be considered outdated and even offensive in some contexts… not that anything in this thread should be read that way, but it’s worth mentioning for those that are unaware.

I recently got introduced to that in geography class at university. It's a very American thing, where it has been used to derogatorily describe black people. I think very few people outside of American know or think of that usage of the term. We still use it scientifically in geography, I cant really think of a good replacement.

Matt N

CF Legend
My apologies; I was not aware that the term “urban” had any kind of offensive connotations.

In my defence, though, I couldn’t think of a better alternative, similar to what @Christian said. I’ve only ever heard it used in a scientific context, and I’m not aware of any synonyms.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
My apologies; I was not aware that the term “urban” had any kind of offensive connotations.

In my defence, though, I couldn’t think of a better alternative, similar to what @Christian said. I’ve only ever heard it used in a scientific context, and I’m not aware of any synonyms.

Don't worry, your uses of the word in this thread were fine. I was only mentioning how it might be seen as inappropriate in some contexts... just for the sake of helping others avoid making a social 'faux pas' 👍